Glove Comparison Database

TheGoalNet

From what I've seen it's pretty common that fullright gloves are way different than their regular siblings. They should be just mirror images of all the patterns used to make the glove but for some odd reason they are not.

For that Askarov glove pictured the thumb area seems very deep and narrow and the break line is closer to wrist just like 580 is. Interesting is that I remember him using CCM 600 before which isn't anything like that.

Edited by ArdeFIN

On 5/2/2023 at 3:08 AM, ArdeFIN said:

From what I've seen it's pretty common that fullright gloves are way different than their regular siblings. They should be just mirror images of all the patterns used to make the glove but for some odd reason they are not.

For that Askarov glove pictured the thumb area seems very deep and narrow and the break line is closer to wrist just like 580 is. Interesting is that I remember him using CCM 600 before which isn't anything like that.

I know he was in eflex before but I guess its possible he had a 590. He switched to vapor when he went bauer at least in wjc a few years back. I suppose he could be in something else now. 

You are right though. A lot of my gloves have been slightly different than my regular friends.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone speak to how a 580/90 Degree break feels to close? I have smaller hands and and to me, a fingers to palm closure would seem easier, IF the counter to the fingers is the palm braced against the wrist, creating a sort of hand curling motion rather than a pinching motion between fingers and thumb. Fingers to a braced palm > fingers to a thumb (which is not braced and can fatigue easily); does is that sound accurate to you 90 degree users?

I'm toying with getting a cheaper or used one just to try, since it seems it would be easier to close.  I think guys with bigger (or just normal) hands take for granted how having longer fingers gives you more torque or leverage in closing the glove, thus requiring even less strength to close it. Imagine trying to close an extra large glove, or holding a dumbell with fatter grip, it would require more muscle to do the same thing. 

That said, I'm really drawn to Brian's gloves because I'm constantly re-tightening my glove (Warrior Ritual G1) during games and BAO smart dial seems like a fix for that. And I've heard they are notoriously easy to close even for smaller hands. 

4 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Can anyone speak to how a 580/90 Degree break feels to close? I have smaller hands and and to me, a fingers to palm closure would seem easier, IF the counter to the fingers is the palm braced against the wrist, creating a sort of hand curling motion rather than a pinching motion between fingers and thumb. Fingers to a braced palm > fingers to a thumb (which is not braced and can fatigue easily); does is that sound accurate to you 90 degree users?

I'm toying with getting a cheaper or used one just to try, since it seems it would be easier to close.  I think guys with bigger (or just normal) hands take for granted how having longer fingers gives you more torque or leverage in closing the glove, thus requiring even less strength to close it. Imagine trying to close an extra large glove, or holding a dumbell with fatter grip, it would require more muscle to do the same thing. 

That said, I'm really drawn to Brian's gloves because I'm constantly re-tightening my glove (Warrior Ritual G1) during games and BAO smart dial seems like a fix for that. And I've heard they are notoriously easy to close even for smaller hands. 

Greetings, I am a small handed individual as well and I always try to have intermediate/small internals in any gloves I use.

One of the kids I coach bought a used Lefevre (pre-True branding) 580 and let me toy with it in the ice rink lobby. It was warmed up, but was relatively easy to close in the senior model, Lefevre does a "one-size-fits-all" sort of deal on their glove. What I would say about the 580 is that I get it, but it torques my thumb in a way that I find mostly uncomfortable, pretty much any glove that makes me have to hold my thumb near a 90 degree angle to the fingers does, especially if it then also pushes it back a little.

Additionally, one of the guys I play with has a Lefevre 590 and it felt fine enough, was easy to close. Another guy I play with has an Axis 1 590 and it was similar, alright to close.

I've been in GNetik gloves for about 5-6 years now and really like their closure. I think I prefer the 600 style closure because it's easiest on my wrists/thumbs and great for picking up pucks. I can say that, in my recent experiences, that Brian's, True, Warrior, and Bauer gloves close very comfortably off the shelf. I haven't been able to try a new Vaughn glove in awhile, so I'm interested to see how that is.

I'm going to demo out a bunch of gloves and see if I can learn more about their typical feel.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, keeperton said:

Greetings, I am a small handed individual as well and I always try to have intermediate/small internals in any gloves I use.

One of the kids I coach bought a used Lefevre (pre-True branding) 580 and let me toy with it in the ice rink lobby. It was warmed up, but was relatively easy to close in the senior model, Lefevre does a "one-size-fits-all" sort of deal on their glove. What I would say about the 580 is that I get it, but it torques my thumb in a way that I find mostly uncomfortable, pretty much any glove that makes me have to hold my thumb near a 90 degree angle to the fingers does, especially if it then also pushes it back a little.

Additionally, one of the guys I play with has a Lefevre 590 and it felt fine enough, was easy to close. Another guy I play with has an Axis 1 590 and it was similar, alright to close.

I've been in GNetik gloves for about 5-6 years now and really like their closure. I think I prefer the 600 style closure because it's easiest on my wrists/thumbs and great for picking up pucks. I can say that, in my recent experiences, that Brian's, True, Warrior, and Bauer gloves close very comfortably off the shelf. I haven't been able to try a new Vaughn glove in awhile, so I'm interested to see how that is.

I'm going to demo out a bunch of gloves and see if I can learn more about their typical feel.

Thanks Keeperton! I'm new to this forum, back from a long hiatus from hockey in my 20's. Thus the 1st generation ritual gear that's basically new. I used to roam the original GSBB back in the day haha.

That makes sense. You're saying it is easy to close, especially if your thumb is okay being upright in that position. But to you it didn't close any better than any other break to your hands? I'm also picking up that modern glove manufacturing is just better and most gloves will have a decent game ready feel regardless of brand. If I had to order now, I'd get an Optik 3 (all black of course) with intermediate palm. 

I did learn some EXCITING news though. I just emailed a rep at Brian's about a custom glove order, and he hinted that they have something in development along the lines of a 90 degree/580 break glove which they hope will be produced in 2024! 

Anybody else have feedback on the 90 degree bracing against your wrist theory? 

Edited by IpaddyTECH
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Thanks Keeperton! I'm new to this forum, back from a long hiatus from hockey in my 20's. Thus the 1st generation ritual gear that's basically new. I used to roam the original GSBB back in the day haha.

That makes sense. You're saying it is easy to close, especially if your thumb is okay being upright in that position. But to you it didn't close any better than any other break to your hands? I'm also picking up that modern glove manufacturing is just better and most gloves will have a decent game ready feel regardless of brand. If I had to order now, I'd get an Optik 3 (all black of course) with intermediate palm. 

I did learn some EXCITING news though. I just emailed a rep at Brian's about a custom glove order, and he hinted that they have something in development along the lines of a 90 degree/580 break glove which they hope will be produced in 2024! 

Anybody else have feedback on the 90 degree bracing against your wrist theory? 

Likewise, I didn't play from 16-25 and was on GSBB back in the day.

It was easy to close in that it was well made. I wouldn't call it any better and would say it's not the break for me overall, but I get the appeal of it.

That's interesting, maybe I can pick a Brian's rep on their next few items' plans here.

5 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

The 580 is pretty iconic so it'll be really cool to see another version of the 580 to compete with the Vapor 90 and CCM 581. The True eclipses the competition though, IMO.

19 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

The 580 is pretty iconic so it'll be really cool to see another version of the 580 to compete with the Vapor 90 and CCM 581. The True eclipses the competition though, IMO.

With Brian's jumping in, that means all the big boys will have their 580 gloves. 

True: 580
CCM: 580 - 581
Vaughn: 70XP
Warrior: 6.1
Bauer: Vapour 90
Brians: TBD 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

just wanted to share a side by side of the Vaughn Velocity V9 glove I’ve been using and the V9 XP with the 70 degree break angle I just got in. I believe the V9 is around a 50 degree break angle and the stock V9 XP is a 60 degree angle. 

Haven’t worn the XP on the ice yet but it has felt really great wearing it around the house!

IMG_3461.jpeg

• Like 3

It'll take a few years to get these 580 mimics into the used glove markets. The Vaughn 70-version could be something I'd like to use as the V9XP is not for me.

Funny actually as the 580 has been available in CCM/Lefebvre/True custom for a long time and only now every manufacturer have made their own version to claim the markets.

Edited by ArdeFIN

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

The only reason they say this is because the pocket on gnetik isn't as vertical as most 590s

Yeah I came to realize this as now that I have been using the 600 with my True set since August. I think I might have to go to the Crease in November and see Rance to try on the new Iconik glove as I'm having a hell of a time adjusting

1 hour ago, Novasteel31 said:

Yeah I came to realize this as now that I have been using the 600 with my True set since August. I think I might have to go to the Crease in November and see Rance to try on the new Iconik glove as I'm having a hell of a time adjusting

You'd probably also like the stock Vaughn V10 break. I found it very similar to the GNetikV, which the Iconik should be like as well. The Brian's break angle is "35 degrees," but Brian's does their angle backwards, and the Vaughn V10 (not XP) is somewhere around a 50-to-55 degree.

Edited by keeperton

10 minutes ago, keeperton said:

You'd probably also like the stock Vaughn V10 break. I found it very similar to the GNetikV, which the Iconik should be like as well. The Brian's break angle is "35 degrees," but Brian's does their angle backwards, and the Vaughn V10 (not XP) is somewhere around a 50-to-55 degree. Both also feel similar to a 590, but with a little something tweak.

16 minutes ago, Novasteel31 said:

If you like Brian's I highly recommend sticking with them. No other brand is going to truly capture the same feel and another step further, if you like the original Gnetik Pro you can ask Brian's to make you a brand new one (possibly even with the boa system).

Sometimes you simply can't leave that one special glove. For me and @coopaloop1234 thats the warrior glove. For many it's a Lefevre built 580. For you it may be Gnetik

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

If you like Brian's I highly recommend sticking with them. No other brand is going to truly capture the same feel and another step further, if you like the original Gnetik Pro you can ask Brian's to make you a brand new one (possibly even with the boa system).

Sometimes you simply can't leave that one special glove. For me and @coopaloop1234 thats the warrior glove. For many it's a Lefevre built 580. For you it may be Gnetik

I agree. Found the GNetik and been in one since.

My only point is I've never felt another glove like it, until I tried on the V10. I do think I would still take the Brian's glove though (TBD/"coming soon!").

57 minutes ago, keeperton said:

You'd probably also like the stock Vaughn V10 break. I found it very similar to the GNetikV, which the Iconik should be like as well. The Brian's break angle is "35 degrees," but Brian's does their angle backwards, and the Vaughn V10 (not XP) is somewhere around a 50-to-55 degree. Both also feel similar to a 590, but with a little something tweak.

Hmm.  I'm not so sure about the bolded.  The regular V10 (and my old V9 two piece) felt nothing like a 590 to me.  The 590 is full hand, the regular V9 and V10 gloves are very pinchy, fingertip to thumb closure to my hand.  Both feel very similar to the Ultrasonic/Mach.  

The standard 60* V9 XP is the 590 clone.  

50 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I didn't realize that Brian's would possibly make me an original Gnetik I should talk to the boys at the crease about that. Interesting on the Vaughn glove as I have never liked the feel of there gloves before but I'm not against giving them a whirl. I did find that the more recent versions of the Gnetik became very pancake ish to me and the new Iconik at least from the pics seems more similar to my original gnetik.

22 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Hmm.  I'm not so sure about the bolded.  The regular V10 (and my old V9 two piece) felt nothing like a 590 to me.  The 590 is full hand, the regular V9 and V10 gloves are very pinchy, fingertip to thumb closure to my hand.  Both feel very similar to the Ultrasonic/Mach.  

The standard 60* V9 XP is the 590 clone.  

I agree with you. I should retract my statement and add they get compared, though I don't think I agree with that comparison.

My experience with 590s is pretty limited, though I like them more than 600s whenever I go out of my GNetik to something more "standard."

• Like 1

When comparing Vaughns glove remeber that 1 piece Velocity and 2 piece Velocity are not the same angle. Have been this way since V6 maybe? I like the 1 piece a lot more. Then when it comes to VE8 -> V9, I do like the VE8XP while the V9XP isn't to my liking. Vaughn changed the V9 some way which I've read from somewhere (here?) to be closer to SLR style. Haven't tried the V10 yet so no comment on that one.

What's on Brian's then I have Gnetik Pro which I don't like, Subzero which is ok, Optik9.0 which I like, GnetikIV which I like. Go figure from that what is what and why. 

Same repeats for Bauer as I have a no go with Vapor but Supremes are pretty good and Ultra Sonic is one of the best for me.

One piece 600 angle on CCM is terrible and still I don't like the 590 either but it's not even close to as bad as the 600 is. And with 2 piece 600 I can do pretty well...

What can one get out from this story? Only that for a catcher there is a lot more than just the angle of the break. Unfortunately 😅

Edited by ArdeFIN

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2023 at 2:11 PM, Rfmusso said:

Hey everyone,

just wanted to share a side by side of the Vaughn Velocity V9 glove I’ve been using and the V9 XP with the 70 degree break angle I just got in. I believe the V9 is around a 50 degree break angle and the stock V9 XP is a 60 degree angle. 

Haven’t worn the XP on the ice yet but it has felt really great wearing it around the house!

IMG_3461.jpeg

That left one looks like it would catch anything. Beautiful shape!

On 10/2/2023 at 6:08 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

That rings soooo loud to me. I've had some good gloves over the years but nothing seems to come close to Warrior at the moment...for me.

I just HATE that when you read a 590 it translates to a 75 break and a 580 translates to a 90 break. Why couldn't they just say 590=90 or drop the whole 500 numbers and just stick with the 90 or 75 or 60 or 35 break throughout the industry for crying out loud!?!

• Haha 1