TGN Spec X GNetik IV Initial Impressions

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Also, did people like the shorter review format?

I personally liked them longer as I feel like the shorter format missed some aspects. 

Most importantly, how have you dialled in the strapping specifically? You say tight but just enough to move while going down but how tight? It's something I've been messing with but can't dial it in.

12 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

I personally liked them longer as I feel like the shorter format missed some aspects. 

Most importantly, how have you dialled in the strapping specifically? You say tight but just enough to move while going down but how tight? It's something I've been messing with but can't dial it in.

I have the bottom calf strap very tight. The elastic allows it to shift a bit and rotate perfectly. If you're having trouble with it, I suggest going tighter

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I have the bottom calf strap very tight. The elastic allows it to shift a bit and rotate perfectly. If you're having trouble with it, I suggest going tighter

Wondering how tight specifically? Do you mind measuring the strap for me? ❤️ 

Maybe I've just been too picky about strapping ever since the Vaughn RRC strap was the perfect system imo. 

18 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Wondering how tight specifically? Do you mind measuring the strap for me? ❤️ 

Maybe I've just been too picky about strapping ever since the Vaughn RRC strap was the perfect system imo. 

Everyone's leg diameter are different, I don't really see the value in that? I would try strapping these are tight as you can get you them if you find them too loose.

And yes, if you are coming from a professor strap, they will feel different.

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Everyone's leg diameter are different, I don't really see the value in that? I would try strapping these are tight as you can get you them if you find them too loose.

And yes, if you are coming from a professor strap, they will feel different.

I just mean tight's a relative term. Say if we had the same leg, tight for you could be 4" of slack whereas tight for me could be 6". 

Can't find the sweet spot between "too tight" that they won't properly rotate back to the middle of the skate (even with shock cord) or too loose that they're not responsive at all. 

3 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

I just mean tight's a relative term. Say if we had the same leg, tight for you could be 4" of slack whereas tight for me could be 6". 

Can't find the sweet spot between "too tight" that they won't properly rotate back to the middle of the skate (even with shock cord) or too loose that they're not responsive at all. 

I can measure them, but at some point, it sounds like you need to continue experiment. When I first went to the all elastic on Optik, I brought a tape measure and kept adjusting the elastic like 1cm at a time until it was dialed  in. Then I made sure both straps were exactly the same on either leg.

My other thought it to maybe adjust the toe ties? Or wear the knee elastic up at your knee? 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I can measure them, but at some point, it sounds like you need to continue experiment. When I first went to the all elastic on Optik, I brought a tape measure and kept adjusting the elastic like 1cm at a time until it was dialed  in. Then I made sure both straps were exactly the same on either leg.

My other thought it to maybe adjust the toe ties? Or wear the knee elastic up at your knee? 

Yeah I usually go by about half an inch every skate. Keeping the top much looser than the bottom. Been doing it since the Optik, but never got that dialed in either to the point where it was making me feel like I was letting more goals in because of it. 

Been playing with the new Brian's bungee. Moved the reinforcement material into a different position and try it with different tightnesses/looping around the skate different. It seems the tighter I do it, it's not as effective as centring back on my skate which is very strange as you'd think it'd be the opposite. Don't like the knee elastic on the knee as it definitely lets in more five hole goals on those quick off-stride shots five hole.

Starting to think the RRC strap is just better for me.

10 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Yeah I usually go by about half an inch every skate. Keeping the top much looser than the bottom. Been doing it since the Optik, but never got that dialed in either to the point where it was making me feel like I was letting more goals in because of it. 

Been playing with the new Brian's bungee. Moved the reinforcement material into a different position and try it with different tightnesses/looping around the skate different. It seems the tighter I do it, it's not as effective as centring back on my skate which is very strange as you'd think it'd be the opposite. Don't like the knee elastic on the knee as it definitely lets in more five hole goals on those quick off-stride shots five hole.

Starting to think the RRC strap is just better for me.

None of the newer Brain's toe setups have felt comfortable for me, either. What I did on my Optiks was to transfer the elastic toe/boot straps from my previous G2s - I still think they have the best skate attachment system. Maybe give that a try?

22 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Also, did people like the shorter review format?

Honestly I miss the written reviews.  They were easier to refer to when I wanted a specific piece of info, and I could read them while on road trips or in the office.  Having a video playing doesn't really work as well in most of the circumstances I find myself in.  But I recognize that YouTube is the way of the future and I'll just have to adapt. 

22 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Honestly I miss the written reviews.  They were easier to refer to when I wanted a specific piece of info, and I could read them while on road trips or in the office.  Having a video playing doesn't really work as well in most of the circumstances I find myself in.  But I recognize that YouTube is the way of the future and I'll just have to adapt. 

I was going to say the same.  98% of the time I spend on this forum is while I am at work.  I talk on a radio all day so our computers are permanently set to mute, not to mention we're also not supposed to stream videos either.  For me, I prefer the written reviews but I know the videos are probably easier to make rather than typing something up.   

On 2/6/2019 at 9:29 AM, Teezle said:

None of the newer Brain's toe setups have felt comfortable for me, either. What I did on my Optiks was to transfer the elastic toe/boot straps from my previous G2s - I still think they have the best skate attachment system. Maybe give that a try?

Interesting idea. I was planning on trying the Bauer CRS laces with some slack. Benefit of feel and elastic stretch. 

Sorry to hijack the thread with my first world problems!

5 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Interesting idea. I was planning on trying the Bauer CRS laces with some slack. Benefit of feel and elastic stretch. 

Sorry to hijack the thread with my first world problems!

Pro Laces hybrid could be a solution for you.

You can add skate lace slack between the elastics and the toe bridge. This would allow you to customize the slack and try a few things to dial it in.

I only get the offset toe bridge on my pads. I don't know if that matters or helps or what not

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Pro Laces hybrid could be a solution for you.

You can add skate lace slack between the elastics and the toe bridge. This would allow you to customize the slack and try a few things to dial it in.

I only get the offset toe bridge on my pads. I don't know if that matters or helps or what not

I've tried offset but I found it makes it worse!

By Pro Laces hybrid do you mean the new model that's been teased or like a "hybrid" solution with the skate lace slack? Because if it's the former, I'm still waiting to see what the hybrid model actually is! It's been "next week" for almost 3 weeks now! The latter would be a decent idea, but I imagine the Brian's smart cord with the reinforcement material sort of mimics the skate lace slack already?

13 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

I've tried offset but I found it makes it worse!

By Pro Laces hybrid do you mean the new model that's been teased or like a "hybrid" solution with the skate lace slack? Because if it's the former, I'm still waiting to see what the hybrid model actually is! It's been "next week" for almost 3 weeks now! The latter would be a decent idea, but I imagine the Brian's smart cord with the reinforcement material sort of mimics the skate lace slack already?

Scratch what I said about Pro Laces. The final Hybrid design is not what I thought it was going to be.

It still might work for you, but it will have less tune ability than I was thinking

On 2/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@Aquilzz

try to put the Y strap as high as you can. That helps give it a more professor like feel. Top of the Y is also tighter than the bottom 

8B427D87-800E-4F99-8DAA-360648463408.jpeg

Interesting. Going to try this tonight. Another theory is to put the Smart cord through both the front and middle loops of my holder as opposed to just the middle, but that puts too much tension for me when I tried previously. 

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Aquilzz - I would consider trying a skate lace instead of the bungie too.

Tried it with your idea and with extra tension on the bungie today but it actually felt worse! It's weird because it still plays really well, but it has a terrible feel to it. 

My next theory is to just suck it up and do the strapping at the knee.I feel like better pad feel will stop more pucks than a fraction of a second faster seal. I will also try skate lace with a slack as a last resort.

Archived