Sorta survey: Would you ever consider a different way to get water during games?

ruckus007

I recently had an idea to implement a camel-pack style water carrier, secured on my back plate, instead of using a water bottle.

The main reason is due to the fact that during drop ins, practice, and beer league games, players and refs dont seem to be too considerate when my back's turned, helmet off, and not ready to play when they roar down the ice and almost take my head off with a shot. I'm also sick of having to keep buying bottles when they break. 

What do you guys think? Would you use one instead of the standard bottle?

5 minutes ago, ruckus007 said:

I recently had an idea to implement a camel-pack style water carrier, secured on my back plate, instead of using a water bottle.

The main reason is due to the fact that during drop ins, practice, and beer league games, players and refs dont seem to be too considerate when my back's turned, helmet off, and not ready to play when they roar down the ice and almost take my head off with a shot. I'm also sick of having to keep buying bottles when they break. 

I'd stick with a water bottle personally. Not only do I use it to drink... but also spray down my face and my neck during skates. Wouldn't be able to do that with a camel back. Also... not sure I want actual water weight on me when playing. Granted I doubt you'd be filling 2L+ of water... but still. 

As for breaking bottles... try staying on your feet more so guys don't have the room to roof it and get that exploding water bottle they're always after. Kidding of course.

11 minutes ago, ruckus007 said:

Id be worried about the water bladder breaking open when flopping around. 

16 minutes ago, ruckus007 said:

I have a Kenesky Bottle Holder if you want it, just pay shipping:

51765228_10156667963400041_5503370642675728384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQkVwVj2zKATwU7v8jBPlxrcdqjMhb1mZGcTqdCufrna15hlCjwr1F1eBlrqxCf0530&_nc_ht=scontent.fyxe1-1.fna&oh=e2f7f8ab98dd8c7369dd68c8f555bfba&oe=5DA1BB37

52595406_10156667963455041_1052721364995145728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQmLIN3sFrezSndsQoWhdeiHsoAWsaiYYADHV_C9d9M31lDqZU7CE3qdD5ie8ZF0OGM&_nc_ht=scontent.fyxe1-1.fna&oh=5283b0c48a44cda223346845baf6f433&oe=5DEA7F0E

Yeah, I’d probably pass. I’ve only had a bottle knocked off once, because I give so many other goal-scoring options to the shooters. But way to think outside the bottle! Er... I mean way to think outside the box. Sorry; It’s beer o’clock here and I’ve been drinking...I mean, supporting small business.

It'd be smaller. Probably about 1 liter max, on a semi rigid shell so it doesn't burst on plays. The point is so you don't feel like it's there. I'm just thinking about it. Nothing practical yet.

The main reasoning too is for practices, drop ins where people don't wait for the goalie, etc. It's purely a convenience thing. 

2 hours ago, Peter36 said:

No way, I think that would look way too foolish 😂.

If you try it though let me know how you like it.

You wouldn't really notice it. It'd be small and streamlined, secured on the backplate. 

plus, goalie masks, knee pads and cowlingless skates were deemed to be foolish once upon a time.

I was actually thinking that a carbon fibre/kevlar shell over a small Camelback would be just the ticket. They used to make a small bladder for runners and hikers and am certain they still do. And one could still hit their face with water if you bend the bite valve with your fingers. 

Great idea; may have to figure this out for myself...

While I don’t want to discourage innovation, I’m thinking the back-mounted Camelbak and tube will cause more problems than it would solve. 

I have thought in the past about mounting a Camelbak-type reservoir to the net with the bite-valve tube coming out. For me, this would address how difficult I find it to palm my bottle with my blocker glove on and/or remove my blocker glove to take a drink. Would also address the broken bottle issue. 

As for players shooting at you when you are turned around, not sure that would help much. Maybe a flashing sign of some kind on the back of your jersey? :) 

Forgive me for being blunt, but is a standard water bottle this much of an issue? Once the whistle blows, prop your mask up with your blocker hand, squirt some water, then lower your mask. If your teammates are shooting at your bottle, tell them that's a dick move and ask whoever does it to go refill it for you. Or keep your bottle on the bench until puck drop.Way easier than having a water tank on your back.

34 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Forgive me for being blunt, but is a standard water bottle this much of an issue? Once the whistle blows, prop your mask up with your blocker hand, squirt some water, then lower your mask. If your teammates are shooting at your bottle, tell them that's a dick move and ask whoever does it to go refill it for you. Or keep your bottle on the bench until puck drop.Way easier than having a water tank on your back.

I agree. I keep mine on the bench till game starts.  after that if i have my back turned to the play i use the glass to see whats going on.  i had issues with my team starting before i was ready but had a little chat with the guys to have a quick peak and not if it looked like i was not ready to roll.

Archived