What helmet should I buy?

Currently I own, ITECH 1200 if I am right, but it looks like this -> https://bit.ly/2me5Pyz

Current helmet condition, the cage is rusty. Not sure if new cage can be found for this helmet?  Thus I decided that I should get a new helmet. I would definitely need a senior helmet with a decent protection.

I live in a small European country and most of the good ones are sold out, thus I am looking to order from the shop that is based in Europe, any ideas for the reliable store?

Also helmet wise, I tried 960XPM and WALL W7H but they had only display helmets left, so didn't buy one.

Interesting about the sizing, for the Bauer helmet size 'M' was fine but for the WALL 'L' was fine as well.

Apart from above mentioned helmets, what helmet would you suggest up to €600 / $660 price ? As well as anyone from Europe could suggest a reliable shop in Europe?

Regards

Depends where you are in Europe, but I've used hockeymonkey.eu a lot and they're a good service although they mainly just have the 'big' brands, Hockey Office (hockeyoffice.com) and Hockey Corner (hockeycorner.de) in Germany are also good. Puck Stop in the UK also has a Wall and Victory (formerly the Wall USA) masks in. 

5 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

monkeysports.eu is one retailer.

Shipping might be a pain, but Otny/Sportmask will help get you into the right mask and their prices are within your budget, but not in Europe, so it may take a little longer to receive, but it will be a great quality mask for you.

the X1 or X1 Elite are 399.99 USD to 499.99 USD

Do you have a link?

If EU customs wouldn't charge high taxes it would be great to import though..

5 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Depends where you are in Europe, but I've used hockeymonkey.eu a lot and they're a good service although they mainly just have the 'big' brands, Hockey Office (hockeyoffice.com) and Hockey Corner (hockeycorner.de) in Germany are also good. Puck Stop in the UK also has a Wall and Victory (formerly the Wall USA) masks in. 

Thank you for links. Where are you based personally? How long was the delivery for you, any additional charges apart from what is been told in the checkout?

I got a NME 4 mask after a break in playing for a super long time but thanks to posts like this and others learned I should get something safer and ordered an OTNY mask from goalieparts.com that should be here soon. 

It’s sad you can’t trust that something might be an older model but safe vs unsafe easily. 

The staff have been responsive to me as well so far worth checking them out. I’m in the US so not sure if there are better local options but I don’t trust Bauer anymore for that reason. 

1 hour ago, benner33 said:

I got a NME 4 mask after a break in playing for a super long time but thanks to posts like this and others learned I should get something safer and ordered an OTNY mask from goalieparts.com that should be here soon. 

It’s sad you can’t trust that something might be an older model but safe vs unsafe easily. 

The staff have been responsive to me as well so far worth checking them out. I’m in the US so not sure if there are better local options but I don’t trust Bauer anymore for that reason. 

It's not so much that you shouldn't trust one manufacturer over another, more that you shouldn't trust masks which are constructed with plastic.

Plastic shells flex/deform far more than fibreglass and carbon fibre, which means more energy is going to transfer into the mask when it is struck. Rigid shells ensure minimal energy transfer to the mask (pucks skip off of them more easily), and maximum energy dispersal throughout the padding underneath the shell (a shell which doesn't deform when hit maintains a broader point of contact with the padding); this means your brain gets rattled around less, and (so far as we can tell) that decreases your chance of suffering some kind of brain trauma (like a concussion).

1 minute ago, CJ Boiss said:

It's not so much that you shouldn't trust one manufacturer over another, more that you shouldn't trust masks which are constructed with plastic.

Plastic shells flex/deform far more than fibreglass and carbon fibre, which means more energy is going to transfer into the mask when it is struck. Rigid shells ensure minimal energy transfer to the mask (pucks skip off of them more easily), and maximum energy dispersal throughout the padding underneath the shell (a shell which doesn't deform when hit maintains a broader point of contact with the padding); this means your brain gets rattled around less, and (so far as we can tell) that decreases your chance of suffering some kind of brain trauma (like a concussion).

This is sound advice for everyone in this thread.

Go with the best mask you can afford.

True. But I felt the certifications stickers on the mask being beyond the date of purchase was a signal of its safety. I’m more used to tech where the phone sold cheaper the next year is awesome and foots the bill but might be a bit less jazzy on the latest newest thing. 

19 hours ago, benner33 said:

True. But I felt the certifications stickers on the mask being beyond the date of purchase was a signal of its safety. I’m more used to tech where the phone sold cheaper the next year is awesome and foots the bill but might be a bit less jazzy on the latest newest thing. 

I've been using my Pro's Choice since 2007.

I think you see effective dates on plastic helmets (and car seats and...) because those have a tendency to warp or change shape in warm environments.

12 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I've been using my Pro's Choice since 2007.

I think you see effective dates on plastic helmets (and car seats and...) because those have a tendency to warp or change shape in warm environments.

Not entirely true. CSA puts effective dates on all CSA approved helmets. My VTX has an effective date of 4 years from now.

I"m probably going to ignore it, but it's there.

Here is the size system for Sportmask, for example

Tape Measure Method

Measure the circumference around your head just above your eyebrows. If you do not have a soft tape measure, wrap a piece of string or lace around your head, then lay the string flat and measure the distance with a metal tape measure or ruler.

Mask Size Measurement   Measurement
Extra Small 49cm to 52cm
Small 53cm to 56cm
Medium 57cm to 58cm
Large 59cm to 60.5cm
Extra Large 61cm to 63cm

19 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Most manufacturers have a size chart on their website. Some smaller manufacturers will provide sizing assistance, either by using photos or a mold of your head, or calipers.

I wouldn´t count on those sizing charts. There can be same size but different shape. If you have tried something on, go with that. You can buy a 1000€ mask but it is almost worthless if it´s  too big.

I am trying to decide now between following..

and if I am correct about the size then.. (my head circumference is 58 cm)

1. https://www.monkeysports.eu/hockey-goalie/goalie-masks/sr-masks/ccm-1-9-cce-sr-goalie-mask (size medium)

2. https://www.monkeysports.eu/hockey-goalie/goalie-masks/sr-masks/bauer-profile-950x-sr-cat-eye-goalie-mask (size M/L)

3. https://www.monkeysports.eu/hockey-goalie/goalie-masks/sr-masks/bauer-nme-ix-cat-eye-sr-goalie-mask (not so sure either FIT2 or FIT3)

Really confusing which one should I buy and size as well...

Archived