Skate lace or nylon pocket

Jonathon v

16 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

Is waxed lighter? I heard it’s not soft

It's no lighter than a regular lace, but it won't absorb water like a regular lace does. It's also pre-stretched, which isn't to say it doesn't stretch (they stretch a bit), but you won't have puck-sized holes opening up in your pocket after a few skates (like might happen with a regular lace). "Soft"? Eh. I mean, it's not 400 count silk sheets, but it's not hard or rigid; it's a skate lace, that is water repellent, and feels a bit waxy to the touch.

(It's also pretty easy to relace your pocket with a floating-T when you're using skates laces, which really helps prevent pop-outs. Plus, you can get waxed laces in all kinds of colours. Style points out the wazoo).

Relacing my trapper with skate lace and a small floating-T was absolutely the right decision.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Man, I hated skate lace when I had it on my LT90 trapper. Just never felt right. I'm in a double Tee with nylon and that still feels soft to me too.

I know it's a feel thing, but a single tee with nylon just snaps so well when it. It's such a visceral feel that can't be beat.

Do you think getting a reinforced T will give it a snappier feel?

I think a key component in how the pocket performs is the tension in the lacing, regardless of the material used. 

Ive found the pocket on every glove I’ve owned to be laced too tightly out of the box for my liking. I’ve relaced every glove with waxed lace (found Elite Prolace to be best), nylon, or paracord, but always done loosely with a floating T. Personal preference for sure, but this is what works for me. 

On 10/24/2019 at 10:14 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Man, I hated skate lace when I had it on my LT90 trapper. Just never felt right. I'm in a double Tee with nylon and that still feels soft to me too.

I know it's a feel thing, but a single tee with nylon just snaps so well when it. It's such a visceral feel that can't be beat.

Im just gonna get a double T with nylon for a snappy feel at least more than a single with skate lace. Do you think getting a +1 pocket will make it any less snappy?

Don’t like the look of skate lace either, nylon seems more durable to me. Weight difference is not a factor. My glove is an inch deeper and still very snappy with a pro palm. Get them to give it some extra time in the break machine if you go pro palm. 

18 minutes ago, Doc1200 said:

Don’t like the look of skate lace either, nylon seems more durable to me. Weight difference is not a factor. My glove is an inch deeper and still very snappy with a pro palm. Get them to give it some extra time in the break machine if you go pro palm. 

I’m not gonna ask for extra break in time I did it with my optik glove and it closed very well but I want my glove a bit stiffer not sure why I just feel a bit stiffer won’t be a bad thing 

Archived