True Two Piece vs. Bauer 2x Pro

I'm in the market for new skates and I'm interested in the True two-piece and Bauer 2xPro's. I've been leaning True as my left foot is about a full size bigger then my right and trying to get skates that fit and feel comfortable on both feet has always been an issue. That would probably be solved with True's, but I've heard lots of durability issues with them. I've seen a lot of conflicting thoughts on them. Next year I'm playing high level U15 and I'll be skating 6+ times a week when the season starts (hopefully) so they will take a beating. I've always worn Bauer skates so I'm a bit hesitant to change. I've never had any huge issues with Bauer skates besides some ankle pain and an awkward fit. The tech on the 2xPro's looks pretty sick and seems like a great skate I'm just thinking the custom boot from True is more up my alley. If I go with True, I was thinking I'd go with the Vertex holder as it would give me some familiarity to a Bauer skate.

If anyone can tell me about their experience with True's or 2xPro's I'd highly appreciate it. Also if you had True's please touch on the durability and the holders.

I've been extremely happy with my True 2-piece skates.  I've followed True's recommendations regarding care (pulling insoles to dry, etc...) and have not had a single issue. I don't blame people for being skeptical regarding True durability, but I really think they're improving greatly in that area.

To be honest, Bauer is that last skate brand I'd look at right now.  Until my True's I wore only Bauer goalie skates and really liked them.  Unfortunately they're being left in the dust (at least at the upper end) by CCM and True.   They're the only company still offering a 2 piece boot for their top end skates and there really is a difference.  I know they're trying to claim the US skate has some "Monoframe" chassis, but it's really just a 2 boot with sides that come up over the top half of the boot.   Plus, in my opinion both CCM and True offer a more robust custom order program.

I really love my True two-piece skates. I've been using them for a year about 2x per week and have had zero durability problems with them. They are incredibly comfortable and I've taken several bombs off the toe caps without any issues, if protection was a concern for you.

The true one piece skate is incredible. If I were you I’d go for that. Durability is not an issue at all from my experience so far. I went from bauer vertexx cowlings to my one piece skates and the pitch difference was noticeable but the attack angle gain and the feel was far better than the bauer cowlings. The only “damage” to speak of on my one piece skates is a few puck marks and scuffs purely aesthetic. From what I’ve heard and my own experience the one piece skates will also stay stiffer longer. 

My recommendation is to go with a Bauer custom 2X if you like the bauer blade/holder

Ive used a custom True and the fit is great, however like many others I had issues with the inner liner detaching and wear issues (gen1 true not sure if the gen2s have improved)

I currently wear a a stock 1X but I also own a pair of Bauer custom 2S player skates. 

The fit of the bauer is as good if not better than the Trues.

Price between the two is closer than listed.  I paid 1149 USD for the Bauers, that included picking the tongue, tendon guard, blade type, liner.

I just couldnt get used to the true holder/blade so I ended up buying a set of Bauer holders and blades.  All told my True setup ended up $1000+ ($799 for skate, $40 for custom white toe cap and white upper, $50 for shot blocker (store recommended this since they said it would make boot stiffer), Bauer holder + blade+ labor to remove and install)

Ive been in a pair of 1s converted for in line, nearly 3yrs old played on once sometimes twice a week and they still look nearly new. 

I had my foot tracing for a vh skate as it was back then and so glad i opted for bauer. 

The other thing was if i didnt get on with then a bauer would sell better than a vh

I was coming from an 11k skate and bought the 2x pro skate, it's an incredible skate, but doesn't fit me properly as my feet are messed up. Small, chunky and wide.  I'm selling them now. 

From reading all sorts of stories I'm going with CCM total custom skates, I'm not sure if anyone has more experience with CCM custom and can go into detail I know @TheGoalNet got them, I just need to hear back from them on step steel black blade upcharge for 4mm blade.  It's alot of money to drop on skates, so it better be worth it!

On 6/20/2020 at 11:20 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

The true one piece skate is incredible. If I were you I’d go for that. Durability is not an issue at all from my experience so far. I went from bauer vertexx cowlings to my one piece skates and the pitch difference was noticeable but the attack angle gain and the feel was far better than the bauer cowlings. The only “damage” to speak of on my one piece skates is a few puck marks and scuffs purely aesthetic. From what I’ve heard and my own experience the one piece skates will also stay stiffer longer. 

Not to bust your balls, and I hope it doesn't happen to you, but in reality you haven't had your skates very long and you've spent how many months not even playing due to COVID...chances are unfortunately it'll happen eventually.  Between this site and all the various FB groups and IG pages I follow I feel like I see 3-4 people a week complaining about broken 1 piece skates.  Granted, its been a while as most people haven't been playing for a few months now.  I do hope you have better luck though!

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Not to bust your balls, and I hope it doesn't happen to you, but in reality you haven't had your skates very long and you've spent how many months not even playing due to COVID...chances are unfortunately it'll happen eventually.  Between this site and all the various FB groups and IG pages I follow I feel like I see 3-4 people a week complaining about broken 1 piece skates.  Granted, its been a while as most people haven't been playing for a few months now.  I do hope you have better luck though!

Fair enough, I’m hoping so as well. I will say I’m quite hard on my skates. Between how hard I go into the posts and how much I stop shots with my skates they’re definitely being put through their paces

• 1 month later...

I decided  to try out True skates again switching over from my Vapor 2Xs.   I was told that the Gen2s were much better than the older Trues that I had. 

Just got my new skates and although they fit well, Id have to say that their quality has even gone further down hill

How does this get past QC?

20200731_203616.jpg

41 minutes ago, kudot said:

I decided  to try out True skates again switching over from my Vapor 2Xs.   I was told that the Gen2s were much better than the older Trues that I had. 

Just got my new skates and although they fit well, Id have to say that their quality has even gone further down hill

How does this get past QC?

20200731_203616.jpg

Frigging hilarious, True seems to have gotten worst ever year. Sending them back I hope, $1000 plus and that is what you get is ridiculous 

Archived