Defunct Gear Brands

TheGoalNet

I tried to see how many gone gear (not sticks) brands I can remember and listed them at our Finnish BB. Here's the list I came by from the top of my head.

Finnish manufacturers

Karhu
Sinisalo
Tammer
The Mask by Nils Nordling
Odin
Montreal
Keeper Mask

Foreign

Cooper
Spalding
Wilson
Rawlings
Forrester
McMartin
VIc
Louisville/TPS
Itech
Van Velden
Badger
Armadilla
Eagle
Jossa
Aeroflex
Smith
Ferland
Reebok
Heaton
Hespeler
Great Saves
D&R
Bourdon
Mattingly
Calcoat
Eddy
Kay
Lefevre
Franklin
Thompson
Stomp
MPS/Passvilan
IceGear
SBK
Sherwood
Vortek
Glenn Miller
BHG
JOFA
XGS

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/5/2017 at 3:10 PM, craig said:

I believe the rigid backplate and hinged chin was done as a workaround for CSA (or maybe HECC) rules that required airways to be accessible if a player was on their back. Pretty sure everything that came after this had a non-fixed backplate. Thank god

It was to pass HECC. At the time, it was mandated that goalies wear a helmet. The fixed backplate made it a helmet, but that meant the cage and chin had to be hinged to get the mask on and off. 

Promasque then came out with a backplate that was bolted at the top and strapped at the bottom, so it was more like a traditional mask but could still be called a helmet. The Wright mask (itech) was the first mask with traditional strapping to get HECC approval 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Nice! You don’t often see the version from the later years done. 

I still want one done up like the 93 playoffs. I’ve never seen anyone do that one. Usually it’s the one like I have with the “teeth”. 

Thanks.  I've done vinyl versions of that one.  If I were to get another actual paint job that's the type of mouth I'd go with.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone have a pic of Potvin's mask before that? Was an altogether different design. Can't find it on google images 

This one? 

8DAC0CF8-937C-4D60-8E52-0DD5E860C5BB.jpeg

Fun fact: on the front of that card, he’s wearing a cooper combo. I have that whole set, from back when it was possible to get full sets of hockey cards. 

Edit: another one. 

1263BD75-A53D-4EF8-9041-9E90DE933D55.jpeg

On 10/8/2017 at 12:17 AM, IPv6Freely said:

This one? 

Fun fact: on the front of that card, he’s wearing a cooper combo. I have that whole set, from back when it was possible to get full sets of hockey cards. 

Edit: another one. 

Yes!!! I F*ing love that mask 

Totally might do a variation of that 

Also- Eagle still exists today, just not making goalie equipment, unless you count goalie equipment bags. Of course Mike Howard (Kenesky) worked for Eagle, then subsequently Vaughn. Eagle was bought by Vaughn and is one of the few (if not ONLY) companies who makes 100% bespoke player gloves, including goat skin (sorry- no more horsehide) gloves, in which I own a pair of the goats.  You can get Gretzky-tall cuffs or the modern short cuff. Their  top-end and custom gloves are made in Canada.  

• 5 months later...
On 10/9/2017 at 8:39 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Also- Eagle still exists today, just not making goalie equipment, unless you count goalie equipment bags. Of course Mike Howard (Kenesky) worked for Eagle, then subsequently Vaughn. Eagle was bought by Vaughn and is one of the few (if not ONLY) companies who makes 100% bespoke player gloves, including goat skin (sorry- no more horsehide) gloves, in which I own a pair of the goats.  You can get Gretzky-tall cuffs or the modern short cuff. Their  top-end and custom gloves are made in Canada.  

Am I a good parent if my non-goalie son who's all of 11 swears by Eagle gloves?

Archived