I help submit your custom goalie orders. Ask me (almost) anything

PepperDoodle

38 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Craziest customer story.  Go.

My first month in customer service we had a kid get some Graf 1080 skates. This was around the time Graf temporarily disappeared, and so stock was limited. He had been using them for over a month before he realized one foot was a 1050 wide, and one was a 1080 D. There were lots of expletives shouted on the phone at me as I tried to figure out how that could happen. They told me to shove the skates where the sun doesn't shine. Eventually realized it was a return at some point that didn't fit the first buyer, then within that time 2 different skates got mixed in the box together. Spent about a week hunting down the right skates, luckily found the final pair brand new in the wrong location. Shipped them at my cost and covered it for them, let them keep both sets. Problem solved but it was stressful knowing it all could've been avoided. Not exactly crazy but memorable. 

I did have one in-person fitting in the store go sour when the dad of an 8u said he wanted larger pants for his son to "grow into" the week of tryouts. 1 day later the guy comes back throws the pants at me at the counter and threatens to beat me up in the parking lot for "embarrassing his son" even though I told them those pants wouldn't fit. He also lunged at me over the counter to grab me by my shirt. He didn't come back. We replaced the pair with one that properly fit when his wife arrived. 

44 minutes ago, PepperDoodle said:

I did have one in-person fitting in the store go sour when the dad of an 8u said he wanted larger pants for his son to "grow into" the week of tryouts. 1 day later the guy comes back throws the pants at me at the counter and threatens to beat me up in the parking lot for "embarrassing his son" even though I told them those pants wouldn't fit. He also lunged at me over the counter to grab me by my shirt. He didn't come back. We replaced the pair with one that properly fit when his wife arrived. 

I wonder how this guy is at team parties...I feel bad for the kid and the wife.  How embarassing

Interesting topic. Understanding this is an ordering thread - but how much (if any) do ordering patterns/customer input/retailer input get accounted for in the design of the various lines? Are these things that are driven by the designer, the professionals or something where players/retailer opinions are actively solicited to create gear that works for the position as a whole, not just something that either (a) is concerned with being innovative for innovation's sake, or (b) suits pro needs that will ultimately trickle down to players who pay a premium for their gear? Did you see any trends in design based on what sold/what received positive (or negative) feedback?

14 hours ago, BCZ said:

Interesting topic. Understanding this is an ordering thread - but how much (if any) do ordering patterns/customer input/retailer input get accounted for in the design of the various lines? Are these things that are driven by the designer, the professionals or something where players/retailer opinions are actively solicited to create gear that works for the position as a whole, not just something that either (a) is concerned with being innovative for innovation's sake, or (b) suits pro needs that will ultimately trickle down to players who pay a premium for their gear? Did you see any trends in design based on what sold/what received positive (or negative) feedback?

The majority of feedback that is used in the design and construction of each new series or family comes from the pro and college clients. If you think about it, these are your users that are visibly seen on TV and live by millions of people each week. As a brand you want your pro guys to be absolutely comfortable and in-tune with their gear, with NHL limitations in mind. All of that feedback eventually trickles down to retail about a year later since it takes a lot of testing and quality control to ensure that each piece of gear made meets those requirements. Then you have to figure out a way to not only offer the "pro options" at the top tier price point, but also make an iteration that fits a budget with your retail customer in mind, who might want a similar feel but does not want to break their wallet. 

Retailer and consumer feedback really helps the most when it comes to the longevity and strength of the gear. If you wind up with enough warranty requests, repairs, and complaints, someone in R&D will eventually take notice so they can go back and look at reasons why this is happening. The recent change with CCM's tone-on-tone and gradient options on the Axis was directly influenced both by testing in house and feedback from customers. Bauer's Cortech ST is another example of an innovative material that has been vastly improved with all the feedback compared to its debut, and they are always working to improve their printing capabilities even now. 

Why do you see so many gloves with a fingers-to-thumb break being hard to find? Pros love it, and consumers are buying them at a higher rate. We can't keep them in stock for long. 

Hello, I fit into a 32+2 in a CCM Eflex 4 and was told to go order it through the customizer as an intermediate versus senior sizing. From what I understand the internal construction is the same and I had them add the bootstrap. After getting the pads from what I can see (compared to a senior pad) the only differences were the boot and knee block (1/2" smaller) and the width of the pad (it was hard to tell and I may be wrong but it looked about 1/4" thinner). 

What other brands intermediate custom pads have similar construction to their senior sizes?

If I were to order another intermediate set do you think it would be possible to ask them to use the senior knee block size?

Since I'm in that weird in between intermediate and senior sizing, it's very attractive to order the same pads in intermediate and save $1000 if the quality/performance is the same.

Thanks for the feedback, this thread is a great idea!

13 hours ago, ASKA_NL said:

Hello, I fit into a 32+2 in a CCM Eflex 4 and was told to go order it through the customizer as an intermediate versus senior sizing. From what I understand the internal construction is the same and I had them add the bootstrap. After getting the pads from what I can see (compared to a senior pad) the only differences were the boot and knee block (1/2" smaller) and the width of the pad (it was hard to tell and I may be wrong but it looked about 1/4" thinner). 

What other brands intermediate custom pads have similar construction to their senior sizes?

If I were to order another intermediate set do you think it would be possible to ask them to use the senior knee block size?

Since I'm in that weird in between intermediate and senior sizing, it's very attractive to order the same pads in intermediate and save $1000 if the quality/performance is the same.

Thanks for the feedback, this thread is a great idea!

Hi Aska_NL!

We are in the same boat! I've got short legs so I have a hard time finding anything stock that will fit me and am left ordering custom. 

The big 5 all make their Custom Intermediates with the same materials they use in their Custom Seniors, just everything is sized down. 

Brians is currently the only major brand that will do that knee block exchange (Senior knee block on Intermediate pad) - There's an upcharge to have it done, just ask your retailer you wanna go through and they can quote it for you. 

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

My question to @PepperDoodle 

If I may ask, why are you leaving the business and what changes are you going towards?

How many Canadian customers are dealing with GM and why doesn't the Montreal store carry over the same specials and promos as the US chain?

I am leaving next week as I was hired by my local police department for their next academy, something I've been working toward for the past 5 or 6 years. 

I'm actually a Fraud Analyst/Investigator for Monkey, but I was given the custom goalie duties a while back to help our other guy who was also leaving to become a Firefighter. My primary job is to analyze and approve orders for all 5 of our websites and make sure any fraudulent purchases do not happen, and then I do all custom goalie orders in addition. 

Working at Monkey has been great but being a police officer has been a goal of mine for a while now. 

The Canadian store - they operate "independently" from us in the States. I still look at and approve/deny their web orders, but outside of that, they are basically their own store. They run their own specials, their own pricing, have their own inventory; it's just been that way ever since they opened.

Now on the US side, we have a lot of Canadian and international customers that shop with us frequently. I'm not sure of the percentage but it's definitely a lot that I have to stop and review. And for you Canada folks, yes, our Montreal store can take custom goalie orders. It is not on the website but they can definitely help you get hooked up in store and get a custom set ordered for you. 

15 minutes ago, MTH said:

Cool thread.

Pepper - What gear you in?

How much better does full custom gear make you play?

CCM Eflex 3 legs/glove/blocker - 32+1.5, modded knee flap (outer wrap sandwiched in half), no leg or calf straps for a loose fit, under heel boot strap on the 4th hole from tip. 590 Double-T, I removed the thumb and pinky lacing so I can have my hand shifted upward into the pocket. Stock blocker. 

1X or Premier 2 stick, 24" or 25" - have a few Warrior returns from Parker Milner when he was at Bridgeport, i think they're 24.5"

Warrior pants, Vaughn VE8 Pro Carbon Chesty, 960xpm, True 1-piece skates (3/4" hollow), basic Vaughn neck guard

The gear doesn't make you better, practice does! But if you've got the budget and patience to create and wait for that setup with all the specs you are wanting, you should go for it. Me personally whenever I get back to playing i'm going to Vaughn since they have what I want and can build in my size. 31+2.5 V9 Legs, V9 Blocker, 7990 glove, all with an iceberg graphic or something.

I dislocated my knee a little over a year ago so haven't been in net since then. Nothing to do with the gear, but a freak accident. Went down to VH and my left leg just buckled out sideways. Fell down, felt around my knee and there was nothing in the front. My kneecap had swung 90 degrees to the outside of my leg and got stuck sideways. I slapped it 3 times to knock it back into place and skated off and drove to the ER. 3 months of PT and a lot of ice later, I was able to finally skate out at a very slow pace again. My knee swelled up to the size of a softball initially. So yeah.... The gear sure didn't help then!

What are some custom options that go beyond the customizer the average person wouldn't know?

I am specifically interested in Brian's but any insight is always interesting. Things like getting older models of gloves/pads/graphics etc. For example I want to get the Sub3 tee on a Gnetik4 glove. Or maybe what upcharges are for common mods like graphics.

23 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

What are some custom options that go beyond the customizer the average person wouldn't know?

I am specifically interested in Brian's but any insight is always interesting. Things like getting older models of gloves/pads/graphics etc. For example I want to get the Sub3 tee on a Gnetik4 glove. Or maybe what upcharges are for common mods like graphics.

Hi Urabus33!

You draw it - they build it. Pretty much anything you can come up with, Brians artists are good at rendering for you (Bauer's artists are also great for True Design orders). Just keep in mind that if it's a licensed image owned by a company/entity/school, you will likely need permission to use the image. The most common Brians "extreme" designs we receive at GM are either "Plain" (remove all zones, flat single color) or school/team logos (embroidered, applique, or split face). If you don't want an unused zone on your pad (think Optik 2 graphics), you can request they remove or "delete" the unused zones you don't want stitching visible for. They can do all the old graphics if you want. 

You can ask for full leather strapping (think Andersen's pads), or you can do an "exchange/swap" on outer-rolls, knee cradles, shin/calf flaps. You can ask for a classic "stuffed boot" if you really want that, color-on-color stitching so the threads match the zone colors. Can put a "Vintage" or Heritage graphic on the new gear. 

The Subzero3 pocket was just a standard "Anchor-T" - they can put that on an IV if you want. They can also do a back-hand exchange for the glove (if it works, they have to make sure it fits). Floating-T's and +1 depth is also available. You can request a 2-piece cuff if you want (they'll say if they can actually do it on the newer stuff, haven't had that request yet). 

Chest protectors they can do arm-swaps if you want, beefed up sections to your spec. 

5 hours ago, Mike24 said:

Is there any hope GM will revive the Koho line once again? 

No plans as far as I know. Check out the CCM Revolution 599 stuff though. Some of our guys in-house worked with CCM to put together a leg channel and setup unique to the 599's before release. One of the more underrated sets exclusive to us. 

12 hours ago, PepperDoodle said:

The Subzero3 pocket was just a standard "Anchor-T" - they can put that on an IV if you want. They can also do a back-hand exchange for the glove (if it works, they have to make sure it fits). Floating-T's and +1 depth is also available. You can request a 2-piece cuff if you want (they'll say if they can actually do it on the newer stuff, haven't had that request yet). 

For the bolded section, I was specifically told this would either not be possible or would be a hell of a swap as I did request an Optik backhand on my IV. Thus, I shied away from it and don't have any complaints to really mention other than it dries a tiny bit slower since it opens less.

7 hours ago, keeperton said:

For the bolded section, I was specifically told this would either not be possible or would be a hell of a swap as I did request an Optik backhand on my IV. Thus, I shied away from it and don't have any complaints to really mention other than it dries a tiny bit slower since it opens less.

It's listed on our options sheet from them but does have a note that it's subject to approval, they have to check if it would actually fit since the different backhands are all shaped and sewn differently. Another thing that's available is a full-jenpro backhand (subject to approval) but I never saw any of those requests. One advantage to that option is less chance for sweat staining on the cuff and knuckle or red paint rubbing off and bleeding through like on other gloves with nylon sections. Problem is you might get friction wear (think heavy wear on the sliding section of a knee block) and it might be squeaky as all hell

11 hours ago, PepperDoodle said:

It's listed on our options sheet from them but does have a note that it's subject to approval, they have to check if it would actually fit since the different backhands are all shaped and sewn differently. Another thing that's available is a full-jenpro backhand (subject to approval) but I never saw any of those requests. One advantage to that option is less chance for sweat staining on the cuff and knuckle or red paint rubbing off and bleeding through like on other gloves with nylon sections. Problem is you might get friction wear (think heavy wear on the sliding section of a knee block) and it might be squeaky as all hell

You know... I wrote my post, submitted it, edited a bit, then went to bed. It kind of hit me a little after that I really should have noted I did get my IVs right around when they were released. It could very easily have changed and I'm definitely not a rep for them, as much as I'd like to be, lol.

What you said about the jenpro on the backhand, I've never noticed that be squeaky on any glove I've seen it on, but that'd be pretty funny. They hold pretty well, at least in the case of my brother's Velocity 1 glove that he used for 7 years until it became an entire pancake.

19 hours ago, keeperton said:

I have a mod for this exact issue, if you're interested.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:04 PM, keeperton said:

Haven't had any issues really with my drying set-up for them, but what is your mod anyway?

@keeperton

I realized that this mod doesn't completely apply to the IV due to the redesigned backhand. It does apply to the II, III and Heritage lines, for certain, however. I will create a new post with the modification for posterity. I've already hijacked this thread...

Archived