TGN's Collection of Frankenchesties

Kayen

This thread will feature several chest protectors I have used over the years. 

I'm never one to leave my units stock. Looking back, I'm almost ashamed at how bad some of them are though.... lol.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/Viettxboii/FxCam_1310586846864.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/Viettxboii/FxCam_1311364135719.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/Viettxboii/FxCam_1311364135719.jpg

Ended up using the Vision unit unmodded for about 3 years.

Then got around to opening up the arms and shoulder floaters and beefing them up, as well as adding the wrist straps from the old Brown 2200 over.

If you all haven't been able to find out yet... i'm a little mod happy... 

IMG_20170117_201803.jpg

IMG_20161101_214525.jpg

IMG_20161103_152915.jpg

IMG_20161107_180310.jpg

Added a belly mod (in the navy) onto the Vision. This piece clips in via slik clips and doesn't hinder mobility at all. Inspired by the LT98's design. 
Might re-add this to my Warrior unit at a future date. 

IMG_20170307_215651.jpg

IMG_20170721_005920.jpg

Used the Warrior Unit with the CCM floaters and CCM arms for awhile, but my (bad worksmanship) stitching came apart and was too lazy to redo it so i just velcroed the stock floaters back in. My main issue is the bottom flap would always fold in on itself and catch on the belly blocks. I solved this by running a lace through the loop on the body as well as the back of the floater (see pic with the CCM floater where i attached bottom of the floater the same method) in order to keep the floater from shifting too much compared to stock - this must have been an issue since they removed the bottom part completely on the floaters found on the G2/GT chest protectors. 
Mckenney arms were more mobile than the CCM arms, but much less protective, so i moved back to the ccm arms. 

IMG_20170929_211243.jpg

This is how the unit sits as of now. I don't Have any active intention on changing it soon. Protective and mobile as is. The white pad is to have the floater sit more square and to soften up rebounds hitting me in the shoulders for an easier smother. 

Edited by Kayen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Amazing 

some of the photos don't show up. You can upload directly to the site from your phone or computer. No need for 3rd party hosting 

The 3rd party hosting is from the old days of GSBB. I can redownload and re-upload if needed. 
I play 2-5x a week. If i find a part not working out I will work to swap it out. 
The Vision was as close to a perfect unit as you can get, but it wore down quite a lot over the years, and I got an amazing deal on the Warrior Unit and I love how modular it is. 

I always study new C/A's and what they have and what I can do to incorporate those features into my unit. 
I intend to eventually re-do the strapping on the unit to 2" elastic on velcro or larger buckles. 
As well as fine better forearm coverage on the unit (i love how it's implemented on most newer units now). 

The CCM arms have been rebuild as well for better mobility (elbow floaters moved up, and changed out some of the nylon straps for elastics, elbow cups attached via shock cord). 

On 10/3/2017 at 10:11 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

I feel dirty looking at these.

Then my job here is done ;) 

On 10/3/2017 at 9:27 AM, TheGoalNet said:

So, I love seeing Franken's and I support all your hard work and obsessiveness... 

But I have to ask, would it have not been easier and a time savings to just a order a Passau or Brown that was highly customized to your spec? 

I've had a Brown 2300 and 2200. Didn't like either, don't think i'll go that route. They're tanks for sure, but I just can't take the heat and how clunky the arms are. 
As for Passau, still quite a bit more. The Ritual I acquired in a package deal and after flipping the other pieces I essentially got the unit for free. Arms were cheap, and I love just making the unit mine. Maybe one day i'll go that route, but I've tried a propack unit on and it wasn't noticeably different (aside from the arm mobility) than my unit.

Also to note arms are laced in with shock cord for that extra bit of mobility too. 

7 hours ago, Kayen said:

Then my job here is done ;) 

I've had a Brown 2300 and 2200. Didn't like either, don't think i'll go that route. They're tanks for sure, but I just can't take the heat and how clunky the arms are. 
As for Passau, still quite a bit more. The Ritual I acquired in a package deal and after flipping the other pieces I essentially got the unit for free. Arms were cheap, and I love just making the unit mine. Maybe one day i'll go that route, but I've tried a propack unit on and it wasn't noticeably different (aside from the arm mobility) than my unit.

Also to note arms are laced in with shock cord for that extra bit of mobility too. 

The Passau arms were better than which units arms?

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

The Passau arms were better than which units arms?

@TheGoalNet the sr CCM ab500 arms. They honestly don't bend that well. I reattached the elbow floater elastics at a different point (on the arm itself vs the floater) for better mobility but sacrificed some protection since a puck can get caught in between the outer and inner elbow parts (hasn't happened yet knock on wood).

• 11 months later...

Update to the unit:
41129095_261320937838864_7059346700271353856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f18d5cbf95eb3041880a6c2b68222da5&oe=5C389BDE

Still using the CCMAB500 arms as a base. However I moved my Passau elbow floaters over for more mobility - the Sr CCM arms actually have more protection.

Things i'm thinking of doing still: 
Adding a belly extension
Replacing the collar (it got dinged up in the washer)
Adding forearm protection on the arm / finding extended elbow cup. 

• Like 1

Great C/A's! This thread inspired me to finally put my horrible sewing skills to and do a small mod to my C/A. Not super necassary, but I've always wanted to hone my skills and mod my c/a and was always a little afraid to do so.

Today I took my old Junior Reebok Premier 1 shoulder floaters and added them to my current CCM AB Pro:

1329948097_JuniorReebokP1ShoulderFloaters.thumb.jpeg.4ff489e9c3d312e941ed8fac42d82070.jpeg

1519250392_CCMP1RBKP1CAMod.thumb.jpeg.02d8bf23b9a3d10d42f8b4dd3e7f98d2.jpeg

622572016_MyModdedCCMABProCA.thumb.jpeg.9cea511141b9a66f91adbf0a8b8a07de.jpeg

I also added the old Reebok P1 heart guard behind the current heart guard, too. Right now I have that stuck behind in place with adhesive sticky velcro. I want to add longer elastic tabs so I can sew them in permanently, like I did with the floaters. 

If anyone have any MOD suggestions or tips, I'd love to hear them. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

Great C/A's! This thread inspired me to finally put my horrible sewing skills to and do a small mod to my C/A. Not super necassary, but I've always wanted to hone my skills and mod my c/a and was always a little afraid to do so.

Today I took my old Junior Reebok Premier 1 shoulder floaters and added them to my current CCM AB Pro:

1329948097_JuniorReebokP1ShoulderFloaters.thumb.jpeg.4ff489e9c3d312e941ed8fac42d82070.jpeg

1519250392_CCMP1RBKP1CAMod.thumb.jpeg.02d8bf23b9a3d10d42f8b4dd3e7f98d2.jpeg

622572016_MyModdedCCMABProCA.thumb.jpeg.9cea511141b9a66f91adbf0a8b8a07de.jpeg

I also added the old Reebok P1 heart guard behind the current heart guard, too. Right now I have that stuck behind in place with adhesive sticky velcro. I want to add longer elastic tabs so I can sew them in permanently, like I did with the floaters. 

If anyone have any MOD suggestions or tips, I'd love to hear them. :)

Very nice. If I can get my hands on a set of junior floaters, I’m going to do the same thing to my AB Pros. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Very nice. If I can get my hands on a set of junior floaters, I’m going to do the same thing to my AB Pros. 

Thank you! I'd highly recommend the Junior floater idea. When comparing my old Junior P1 floaters to my current ones, I realized just how small they were and just how perfectly they fit behind my CCM AB Pro floaters. Not to bulky, and they fit just right. 

I'm sure you can find an old Junior size C/A for really cheap to use for spare parts on your current C/A. 

Edited by creasecollector

Also, I’ve played around with the idea of a way to add more padding to the upper arms ( that's IF at day comes with my CCM CA, and I tested it out with my old RBK P2 C/A):

Pic of my old Vaughn Knee/Thigh wraps:

76D44E2F-E509-42BF-B6B3-AC4439E509CF.thumb.jpeg.db2a593c11d8845c2d6cd0fa40007f59.jpeg

What I did to test them:

Just velcro’d them around the upper arm with the strap that is used to wrap around your leg. 

Back when I tinkered with this MOD, this was my main C/A at the time. When I tried this in a game they worked SO well. They moved around a lot, but that was because I just strapped them in to test. Looking to get a permanent fix one of these days. 

C7DDB997-DB9E-443E-BC51-E6C6027C969C.thumb.jpeg.a3a226e1589e6ee81549d45076e14c67.jpeg

My my main goal of this mod is to have them behind the arm (if possible) so it won’t be seen, and the visual look of the C/A still remains original on the front. 

I just plunked them into the general area of where i’d Like them to sit. No idea how I’m going to get them to stay though. They have a lace area on one of the sides so maybe I can lace them it? Or maybe cut/sew them somehow.

3592660E-74E9-4F71-B35C-F8F9E308D5CC.thumb.jpeg.4e21917e334092ff7bcb824d1cea3f30.jpeg

Any my tips and tricks (or suggestions for this mod I will attempt ) would be helpful. Thank you! 

This thread is awesome. We should totally have a “MOD Thread” on here. 

Edited by creasecollector
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Also, I’ve played around with the idea of a way to add more padding to the upper arms (of them at day comes with my CCM CA, and I tested it out with my old RBK P2 C/A):

Pic of my old Vaughn Knee/Thigh wraps:

76D44E2F-E509-42BF-B6B3-AC4439E509CF.thumb.jpeg.db2a593c11d8845c2d6cd0fa40007f59.jpeg

What I did to test them:

Just velcro’d them around the upper arm with the strap that is used to wrap around your leg. 

Back when I tinkered with this MOD, this was my main C/A at the time. When I tried this in a game they worked SO well. They moved around a lot, but that was because I just strapped them in to test. Looking to get a permanent fix one of these days. 

C7DDB997-DB9E-443E-BC51-E6C6027C969C.thumb.jpeg.a3a226e1589e6ee81549d45076e14c67.jpeg

My my main goal of this mod is to have them behind the arm (if possible) so it won’t be seen, and the visual look of the C/A still remains original on the front. 

I just plunked them into the general area of where i’d Like them to sit. No idea how I’m going to get them to stay though. They have a lace area on one of the sides so maybe I can lace them it? Or maybe cut/sew them somehow.

3592660E-74E9-4F71-B35C-F8F9E308D5CC.thumb.jpeg.4e21917e334092ff7bcb824d1cea3f30.jpeg

Any my tips and tricks (or suggestions for this mod I will attempt ) would be helpful. Thank you! 

This thread is awesome. We should totally have a “MOD Thread” on here. 

Now this is definitely different from the rest I’ve seen.

might consider cutting the shoulder floaters off my Optik and onto my SZ3!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Now this is definitely different from the rest I’ve seen.

might consider cutting the shoulder floaters off my Optik and onto my SZ3!

Thank you! Those old Vaughn wraps fit perfectly into that upper arm area. When I tested them out, I did receive some shots to that problem area and they didn't hurt like they did before, which if why I'd love to add them to the upper arms of my CCM Pro C/A. The arm protection on my CCM is great right now, no problems, but I just want this C/A to last as long as possible, which is why I'm thinking of "what if" Mods for the future. I love the P1 design and protection/mobility/coverage I get with it, so I want to stick with this for awhile.

And your mod sounds great! When you go for it, pictures would be great ! :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...