Soft pads user

Yzueblin

Hi everyone 

im in search of a soft pads , im a goalie for 6 year now and i always been with stiff pads, i butterfly is narrow and i start to have some hip problem.

i'm not a fan of ccm gear so i dont talk about the Eflex but for exemple any Warrior user ? can we considere the RGT2 pads a soft pads ? i want to considere the Gnetik4 too but i know the thigh rise is more stiff 

did some of you saw the difference between a stiff and soft pads with a narrow butterfly ?

I have been in two pairs of Vaughn V4's over the past 7 years. I demoed a pair of P4's back in 2013, and I remember not being able to move well in them and generally felt like they restricted movement. 

I use the Gigeuere 99.9% of the time, and the Vaughn V4 leg pads that I am currently using are about as straight as an ironing board, despite them being very soft. To make this work, I use rather large knee pads, like the Koho 589's and currently Factory Mad. This allows me to trap pucks in my five hole and decrease the amount of strain that is put on my hips.

I can't speak on the Warriors or the Gnetik4's, but I would confidently say that softer leg pads will be easier to move in, and may reduce strain placed on the hips.

Fellow soft pad enthusiast here and although I appreciate the suggestions above as far as what you can get today truly being Vaughn V1/V2/V3 "soft" I think the only thing that comes close is some of the offerings from Simmons. I've checked out a lot of the big box stuff and I just don't think it compares (mainly in the boot break area). I wore a pair of Carey Price V3's for a long time and ran the gamut trying to replace/replicate them (Lundqvist TPS's, P2's, Reactor 9000's, V5's... and others I'm forgetting). There may be some other smaller manufacturers that are in the same ballpark. Hope that helps.

2 minutes ago, Max27 said:

I use warrior g4s right now, had them all of 2020 so far, so i can speak for them. I wouldnt consider them a stiff pad at all. gt2 is pretty soft as well too. G5 is a lot stiffer though

Only at the start of their life is G5 stiffer. They soften up like crazy

The "softness" and "hardness" of the pads does not affect the load on the hips in any way, and even more so on the closure of the 5th hole. the larger the S curve of the pads, the better and easier they perform. this can be on both "soft" and "hard" pads. Previously, your 5th hole was covered with a strap on the instep of the thigh, now it is the shape of the pad. the presence of internal breaks does not affect this in any way, since there is no mechanism for bending the upper part of the pads in the form of straps, as on the old pads

I have Simmons 586 pads and they’re pretty soft. Had them since 2012. They advised I get them at a taller measurement because they settle. Indeed I normally wear 34” but I got 36+2” and they fit, surprisingly. Also, I’ve worn ProLaces for several years and they relieve stress on my hips and make putting the pads on easier. I recommend them. Another option for soft pads would be going custom through Brown or Kenesky. Both companies will make the pads how you want. Finally, playing more stand-up will certainly help. Although, it’s hard to have the same level of success doing so. I’m getting older and I’ve found myself staying on my feet more. Sometimes to good effect, sometimes not😉

7 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I have Simmons 586 pads and they’re pretty soft. Had them since 2012. They advised I get them at a taller measurement because they settle. Indeed I normally wear 34” but I got 36+2” and they fit, surprisingly. Also, I’ve worn ProLaces for several years and they relieve stress on my hips and make putting the pads on easier. I recommend them. Another option for soft pads would be going custom through Brown or Kenesky. Both companies will make the pads how you want. Finally, playing more stand-up will certainly help. Although, it’s hard to have the same level of success doing so. I’m getting older and I’ve found myself staying on my feet more. Sometimes to good effect, sometimes not😉

Breen in my Boddam Hybrids for 4 seasons (same as Simmons 586) and if soft is what you want, this would be the softest there is.  Abit heavier since they still stuff the pad to get that soft feel.  I agree with @WillyGrips13 very soft pad that will settle.

9 hours ago, ser33 said:

The "softness" and "hardness" of the pads does not affect the load on the hips in any way,

Ehh, I'll have to disagree. Torsional flex that generally come with softer pads does allow easier movement and added flexibility to help reduce hip strain.

@Yzueblin RGT2's are a "soft" pad in that they have a softer boot and a bit more torsional flex than the G4/G5 lines. Though keep in mind that they share the barrel like leg channel of the G4/G5 line and play pretty loose. It's more of a middle ground pad and it wouldn't be my first choice if I was prioritizing specs that comes with softer pads. 

I've had the RGT 1's and 2's and the 2's play even stiffer than the 1's. If you want a soft warrior pad, GT1's are your best option.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Ehh, I'll have to disagree. Torsional flex that generally come with softer pads does allow easier movement and added flexibility to help reduce hip strain.

The physical meaning of twisting a pad is that your foot pivots with the toe of your pad causing it to twist. Hard pads don't allow this, so you put unnecessary stress on your legs. Send your laces or install elastic bungees and in any pads you will no longer have the problem of sore legs and the need for a torsion flex pad

16 hours ago, Yzueblin said:

You don’t consider the gnetik a soft pads ? 

They can be a softer pad in the thigh if you get a different break in the gentik say 4 thigh and 4 knee. this is the stock feature on a pair of Optik Flx core pads 1 or 2. The Optik flx may be easier to find if you do not want to order a custom set of pads. linked the info for Brians pads info. 

https://www.goalies-only.com/optik-2-leg-pads/#

9 minutes ago, ser33 said:

The physical meaning of twisting a pad is that your foot pivots with the toe of your pad causing it to twist. Hard pads don't allow this, so you put unnecessary stress on your legs. Send your laces or install elastic bungees and in any pads you will no longer have the problem of sore legs and the need for a torsion flex pad

You're not wrong, but even with bungies, soft pads do allow more give which some people will find easier on their hips.

35 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You're not wrong, but even with bungies, soft pads do allow more give which some people will find easier on their hips.

you are undoubtedly right. maybe I'm not old enough yet and my hips can still do something (laughs), so I didn't feel any tangible difference for myself either in the one.90, or in V3, or in P4.

56 minutes ago, ser33 said:

you are undoubtedly right. maybe I'm not old enough yet and my hips can still do something (laughs), so I didn't feel any tangible difference for myself either in the one.90, or in V3, or in P4.

i'm not that old loll only 36 year old 

Simmons might be what you are looking for? I have a pair of 999’s with knee rolls and all that and they are super soft, actually the reason why I got new pads because they were too soft for me. Pretty much a velocity knock off and I’ll second what was already stated that they do settle and need to order up a little bit in sizing. My 34+1.5  warriors are taller than my 34+2 Simmons. 

I have a narrower BF but weirdly enough the warrior single break stiffer pads help me close my 5 hole a LOT easier than my Simmons double break pad.  

On 10/14/2020 at 2:50 PM, ser33 said:

Yeup, you arent old enough YET!  Ive progressively gone softer as I aged (even with new pads having elastic)  Total Ones and 1S, then Warrior G3/G4s, now in squishy Eflex 4!

10 hours ago, kudot said:

Yeup, you arent old enough YET!  Ive progressively gone softer as I aged (even with new pads having elastic)  Total Ones and 1S, then Warrior G3/G4s, now in squishy Eflex 4!

Of course I'm not old enough. I'm only 44 lol. evolution of my pads - itech 4.8, V3, bauer one 90, reebok P4))) is the trend clear?)))

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Are there any retail pads with one external break and double internal? My Pro V Elites (the old ones from like 2017) are but the new ones are not and neither are the v9s or eflex.

ccm revolutions have double inner and single outer, warrior g3s do as well unless im mistaken all the current lines are single inner and outer but the v9s are very soft so are gnetiks if you broke them in theyd totally play like a double inner break

On 10/13/2020 at 12:25 PM, Yzueblin said:

Hi everyone 

im in search of a soft pads , im a goalie for 6 year now and i always been with stiff pads, i butterfly is narrow and i start to have some hip problem.

i'm not a fan of ccm gear so i dont talk about the Eflex but for exemple any Warrior user ? can we considere the RGT2 pads a soft pads ? i want to considere the Gnetik4 too but i know the thigh rise is more stiff 

did some of you saw the difference between a stiff and soft pads with a narrow butterfly ?

Just curious, have you looked at any possible physiological solutions for your hip issues? 
Don't get me wrong.  I love talking about new gear, but I don't think any equipment out there is going to help with hip issues.

I've been battling stiff hips since a couple knee injuries in my mid 20s.  36 years old now, but wearing stiff pads (x-stiff core Lefevre 20.1).

For me, the physical issue was trying to maintain a sedentary lifestyle with the rigorous demands of playing the position (I got very lazy after competitive hockey).  Sitting at work didn't help much.  The issues compounded over time and I ended up with a really tight iliopsoas and weak glutes, causing my spine at the base of my back to pull forward and creating some anterior pelvic tilt.

These days, I'm in/working out of my car for +/- 6-8 hours a day so it should be worse...but I've actually gotten better, because I've dialed in on a solid off-ice routine focusing on the appropriate areas. 

• Lot of glute work with bands and weights.  
  • Lacrosse ball and some other tools for myofascial release on tight areas.
  • Core and balance training, as well as a flexibility circuit as well. 
  • Short warmup before my skate sessions. 
  • Any on-ice warmup is done to ensure I'm focusing on proper mechanics.

Would be happy to post my routine if you or anyone else that sees this wants to take a look at it

Archived