Blocker + Bottle

Punisher Goalie

Okay, I’m about to ask what will surely be the dumbest question in the history of this forum thus far. How the hell are people able to pick up and use a water bottle with their blocker glove on?? Are there particular models that this works with? I’m talking about the standard Gatorade green bottle. I currently use a Warrior G3 Pro blocker and I can’t pick up a bottle and get it to my face to save my life. The side board part seems to get in the way.

I ask this because I want to try using my trapper with the wrist strap actually pulled down tightly and leave it on all game long. I haven’t done this in the past because I couldn’t get the water bottle without taking off a glove or both, but I figure if I can already move my mask up with my blocker fingers, if I could just use the damn bottle then I could leave the trapper strapped in.

When you get done laughing, please give a novice goalie some advice!

After Factory Mad modded my blocker, I tried to stop taking it off during the games. 

It just takes some practice, but it's super awkward... A true goalie's skill! 

I also use a Gatorade bottle, which is thin. I think it'd be impossible with the classic hockey style bottle 

I use the thin, straight gatorade-style bottles and haven't had a problem picking them up with my blocker. Gatorade has changed the shape of their bottles to a more curvy version, which is large enough that I can't pick those up. Luckily for me, wal-mart sells knock-offs of the thin style.

The only problem I have is not being able to spray it into my mouth accurately every time because I can't bend my wrist enough to aim it while wearing my chesty.

I have one of the wide bottles and a Ventus blocker. It took me awhile when I moved from an old Brian's blocker with no sideboard to the Ventus. I eventually had to stick my elbow up and out to get the right angle. The bottle is further away from my face than when I had the old Brian's blocker but within a few games I got it figured out.

Practice seemed to make perfect for me.

On 10/14/2017 at 2:03 AM, parebele said:

I use the thin, straight gatorade-style bottles and haven't had a problem picking them up with my blocker. Gatorade has changed the shape of their bottles to a more curvy version, which is large enough that I can't pick those up. Luckily for me, wal-mart sells knock-offs of the thin style.

The only problem I have is not being able to spray it into my mouth accurately every time because I can't bend my wrist enough to aim it while wearing my chesty.

Hm, that’s a good point. Maybe I’ll try a smaller, angled bottle like this:

72A2B85D-07C3-49CA-885F-F3786EF9C0EA.thumb.jpeg.6a91f5bef6f85b6e531c3e96db2b6535.jpeg

4 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

I just slide my blocker off to use my water bottle.  Seems the simplest solution to me.......

I like my blocker very snug on my hand. I try to avoid taking it off during use & when it's sweaty. 

That's why I do it 

32 minutes ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

I prefer my glove on snug.  I hold my stick with my blocker, it's not coming off during play.  :)

Haha, it's not for fear of it coming off!!! 

When its as snug as my modded GNetik is,  it feels more connected to my hand and I have better control of rebounds 

I'm not a "blocker is a blocker" guy 

This topic is pretty funny to me only because I feel your pain.  From a very young age I always copied Mike Richter(surprise surprise) and always take my glove off under my blocker side armpit, though I have to unsnap my mask and raise it up.  I don't like squirting through the cage and getting water all over.  I never had a problem doing it this way until my fascination with the Optik with the BOA system.  Now I think to myself, self, am I going to have to learn a new way to drink my water?  :myhead:

Wow... I'm actually super impressed this thread has received as many replies as it has. I swing both ways on this one... blocker on and blocker off... depends on how much time I want to take up with a face off in my zone. I agree with @TheGoalNet though... in the Gatorade bottle camp. Not only is the diameter thin... but so are the walls of the bottle so there is that ease of the squeeze.  

Archived