Done With Otny

30 minutes ago, johncho said:

I'm not defending OTNY, but it seems like you put a wrap on, was it a safe wrap to use on the mask's material? 

I would imagine that some types of adhesives found on the wrap/stickers could potentially react with the mask negatively.

Yeah the wrap on it was perfectly safe, the guy that did it for me has done many masks over the years and has had no problems. Also I feel like if had reacted with the mask, this would’ve happened all over the mask wherever I got hit.

Some questions:

First: You said you “the guy” has done lots of wraps for you – has he done OTNY’s before? Per @johncho's comment there could be all sorts of reactions happening. Did you discuss with OTNY first?

Second: Is that really a wrap? It appears someone used tape or layers or some sort of adhesive material. I would assume most commercial wraps have been designed (and tested) not to react with mask/helmet material. If someone is using generic materials, there’s no guarantee there won’t be issues.

Third: There seems to be some cracks propagating from the cage screw hole- not sure if that's a result or a cause of the issue.

Fourth: Have you discussed this with OTNY? I am sure they would be interested if for no other reason than to ensure the safety of their clients past and present.

4 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

After 3 cages in under a year

Got 2 certified cat-eye cages from goalie parts who I believe is OTNY manufacturer (correct me if I'm wrong) and they both bent after a few months use as well as not fully fitting the height of my Bauer Profile (if you follow Trav4Oilers it is the same things with the bottom 2 cage screws that he has).

I was shame because the visibility was great, but I had to go back to my standard Bauer straight bar.

4 hours ago, Colander said:

Some questions:

First: You said you “the guy” has done lots of wraps for you – has he done OTNY’s before? Per @johncho's comment there could be all sorts of reactions happening. Did you discuss with OTNY first?

Second: Is that really a wrap? It appears someone used tape or layers or some sort of adhesive material. I would assume most commercial wraps have been designed (and tested) not to react with mask/helmet material. If someone is using generic materials, there’s no guarantee there won’t be issues.

Third: There seems to be some cracks propagating from the cage screw hole- not sure if that's a result or a cause of the issue.

Fourth: Have you discussed this with OTNY? I am sure they would be interested if for no other reason than to ensure the safety of their clients past and present.

Its vinyl but he has no problem with bauer, ccm, sportsmask, or Victory 

4 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Its vinyl but he has no problem with bauer, ccm, sportsmask, or Victory 

But no previous experience with OTNY? I know certain motorcycle helmet manufacturers absolutely prohibit any kind of aftermarket paint or stickers on their helmets.

In any case I think contacting OTNY is your best first step...

Edited by Colander

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Chenner29 - any thoughts?

I'm not on the warranty side of things, but I'd imagine a few things would be of pertinent interest:

1. Who did the wrap? 
    1. SkinFX is the only certified wrap artist, and that does not look like something he would do.
    2. I can't comment on any chemical interactions with the shell as that is not my department.*
  2. How long have you had the mask?
    1. Given the amount of puck marks on the vinyl, the helmet looks like it's put in a ton of work for you

** However, I do recall a conversation I had with Frank Cipra back in 2017 regarding Vinyl.  For the younger folks on here, he was a very renown mask painter from the late 80s through early 2000s and did a large portion of the Itech masks in the NHL.  IIRC he said he would NEVER put vinyl on a mask for risk of things like this happening.

RE Cages

Otny makes 99% of the cages you see out there.  I'm pretty  sure the cages on 3 Pro's Choice masks are subbed out to Otny.
Bent cages are a fact of life in our position - I don't understand the complaints.  I've gone through maybe +/- 5 cages in my 22 years of playing net.

7 minutes ago, Colander said:

But no previous experience with OTNY? I know certain motorcycle helmet manufacturers absolutely prohibit any kind of aftermarket paint or stickers on their helmets.

In any case I think contacting OTNY is your best first step...

Would adhesive really effect the mask that much to the point where it ruins the integrity and it breaks like this?

6 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I'm not on the warranty side of things, but I'd imagine a few things would be of pertinent interest:

1. Who did the wrap? 
    1. SkinFX is the only certified wrap artist, and that does not look like something he would do.
    2. I can't comment on any chemical interactions with the shell as that is not my department.*
  2. How long have you had the mask?
    1. Given the amount of puck marks on the vinyl, the helmet looks like it's put in a ton of work for you

** However, I do recall a conversation I had with Frank Cipra back in 2017 regarding Vinyl.  For the younger folks on here, he was a very renown mask painter from the late 80s through early 2000s and did a large portion of the Itech masks in the NHL.  IIRC he said he would NEVER put vinyl on a mask for risk of things like this happening.

RE Cages

Otny makes 99% of the cages you see out there.  I'm pretty  sure the cages on 3 Pro's Choice masks are subbed out to Otny.
Bent cages are a fact of life in our position - I don't understand the complaints.  I've gone through maybe +/- 5 cages in my 22 years of playing net.

Thats my issue, I had the mask for less than two years. I went through three cages in under a year. I had a bauer mask before and had one cage that never bent for 3 years and no damage to the shell. Just pisses me off.

Hey,

Which model is this mask?

I also have an Otny and have not had a moment's issue with it.  I may need to replace the foam but that's about it.  I got a spare cage when I bought it but so far have not needed it.

I am wondering if the materials in the mask are different from the one I have.

25 minutes ago, Ken35 said:

Hey,

Which model is this mask?

I also have an Otny and have not had a moment's issue with it.  I may need to replace the foam but that's about it.  I got a spare cage when I bought it but so far have not needed it.

I am wondering if the materials in the mask are different from the one I have.

X1 Elite

37 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Would adhesive really effect the mask that much to the point where it ruins the integrity and it breaks like this?

Absolutely!   This is one of the reasons I cringe whenever I see a stickerbombed mask or a guy working on the the side of the road with stickers all over his hard hat.   I work for a large cable company and one of our top safety rules is that our technicians are not allowed to place stickers on any part of their hardhats.  The thought process is two-fold:  a) We do worry about the chemical interaction between the hardhat and the adhesive and b) we worry about a sticker covering up a damaged area and it not being noticed until it's too late.   I'm not saying a mask can't be wrapped without affecting the integrity of the shell, it obviously CAN be, but I will say that my experiences working on the safety side of my industry have affected my willingness to risk it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Thats my issue, I had the mask for less than two years. I went through three cages in under a year. I had a bauer mask before and had one cage that never bent for 3 years and no damage to the shell. Just pisses me off.

I understand your frustration. I once had a mask not an Onty that I just got painted. My first real pro painted mask.  I played about 10 or so games with it love the fit loved the mask.  All was wonderful. We are up big in a game. Puck comes along the goal line towards the corner boards. The Asshat had no shot but insisted on trying to put the puck through me. Well I’m short 5’8 on skates. I took that unnecessarily blast over my left eyebrow above the cage. I saw shit fly off my mask.  I wasn’t hopeful.  Period ended minute later. I gave it a look saw a decent crack in it.  I said well this mask is “cuffed”

Point is playing this position this shit is gonna happen.   

47 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

I understand your frustration. I once had a mask not an Onty that I just got painted. My first real pro painted mask.  I played about 10 or so games with it love the fit loved the mask.  All was wonderful. We are up big in a game. Puck comes along the goal line towards the corner boards. The Asshat had no shot but insisted on trying to put the puck through me. Well I’m short 5’8 on skates. I took that unnecessarily blast over my left eyebrow above the cage. I saw shit fly off my mask.  I wasn’t hopeful.  Period ended minute later. I gave it a look saw a decent crack in it.  I said well this mask is “cuffed”

Point is playing this position this shit is gonna happen.   

True

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

It's crazy to think so, but yeah. 

I only know of the car world, but some cheap adhesives for body work can mess with the paint on the steel, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or plastic trims. Especially on things like an unvented sticker where it can hold and trap onto the whatever chemical that's affecting it. Either way, I hope you find some resolution and that you can get back to playing.

Edited by johncho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Thats my issue, I had the mask for less than two years. I went through three cages in under a year.

Let me reiterate the point I was trying to make, I should have been more clear:

Your under 2 year old mask has more puck marks on it than my 13 year old one. 
I rotate it in and out amongst my 3 or 4 lids these days, but I used it 2-3 times a week between 2007 and 2015 in various levels of adult league.
To me, it looks like you're tanking an uncommonly large quantity of shots with your head.

I had a bauer mask before and had one cage that never bent for 3 years and no damage to the shell. Just pisses me off.

A few things to unpack here as there are some variables between the two sample sets of data you are using to evaluate your two masks.

IIRC (and I apologize if I'm wrong on this) you're under 21 years old and are playing travel hockey? 
I'm guessing in the last 5 years (rounding up, 3 in your Bauer and 2 in your OTNY), you've also aged up and/or moved into a higher skill tier.
Pre COVID, were you practicing more or less per week?  More ice times = more shots, so that is also a factor.

If your progression was similar to mine, you are practicing more as you move up in age and skill brackets, so you're taking more shots from bigger/stronger/more skilled kids more often.

Bottom line, you can't compare apples to apples here.

@Puckstopper and @johncho made some good points about the adhesive potentially being harmful to the mask. Thanks.

• Like 1

Also, I'm not sure how feasible it would be financially, but if I was playing/practicing every day, I would maybe get a couple of masks and cycle them (and skates).

It's like how cycling between two shoes last you longer than buying the second after the first wears out. It helps things like foam dry out and give it a chance to recover back to the normal state a bit longer. I'm not 100% sure on if it would help on a mask, but it seems to work for my skates at least.

12 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Sorry about your mask, that sucks. I did see that you are wearing a cheater cage on your mask. I wear the same cage made by OTNY on my Eddy Custom Kevlar. I do like the sightlines but it does bend more easily than a certified cage because of the larger spaces between the bars. Were all 3 damaged cages cheater cages? Was your Bauer cage a certified cage? The certified cage will last longer.  I am surprised that you are permitted to wear  the cheater cage at your age and level although I know some Refs see that it's not a cat eye and has straight bars are don't realize that it's illegal.

All the best in getting this resolved, as other have said contact OTNY.

12 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I wouldn't go through too many cages either if the shooters I was up against couldn't lift the puck.

I think I've gone through 5 cages in the past 6 years. Though I'm generally very ready to replace a cage the second it gets dented.

27 minutes ago, Supergoalie said:

Sorry about your mask, that sucks. I did see that you are wearing a cheater cage on your mask. I wear the same cage made by OTNY on my Eddy Custom Kevlar. I do like the sightlines but it does bend more easily than a certified cage because of the larger spaces between the bars. Were all 3 damaged cages cheater cages? Was your Bauer cage a certified cage? The certified cage will last longer.  I am surprised that you are permitted to wear  the cheater cage at your age and level although I know some Refs see that it's not a cat eye and has straight bars are don't realize that it's illegal.

All the best in getting this resolved, as other have said contact OTNY.

Actually no the bends were on straight bars and I noticed my cheater actually has thicker, stronger bars