Halo Hockey Laces 2.0

insertnamehere

I was bored this morning, scrolling some kind of social media, and came across an ad for Halo Hockey Laces 2.0. Being a lazy sonofabitch, I decided that velcro straps instead of skate laces was a good idea and therefore made the impulse purchase of a set for my skates. Once I receive them, I'll edit this post with my review of the product. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, this is it:

Hey Hockey friends!  I’m the pigeon in the video 🤣🤣.  Thank you op for trying them out!  They are shipping out next week.  I look forward to your feedback so I can improve them where I can!  These are in fact similar to Option B.  The issue with those is if you wear your skates tight the top strap comes undone from the stress of your ankle.  I fixed that along with a couple other things.  I really appreciate your support and feel free to message me if you have any questions after you receive them.  

Jack

Halo Hockey

halohockeyusa@gmail.com

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

So, I got these in the mail a little while ago. Very slow on the postal service's part, international shipping and whatnot, but I'm not playing right now anyways due to public health orders, so it wasn't a big deal. 

I'm just in the process now of installing them, it looks like everything is in order as far as the parts go and I'm ready to go dad mode on my skates. 

IMG_20210523_145511071.jpg

• Like 1

One skate done, it's really simple to install, all you need is a flat screwdriver.

Wearing it around the house it feels secure, but time will tell how it works on the ice. It did take a little adjustment to get the straps to the correct tightness. 

I don't want to use a thread locker on the hardware in the event I have to remove it, so I imagine I'll have to check them every couple of skates to make sure nothing falls off. 

The ease and swiftness with which a skate can be put on is nice, that combined with not having leather straps these days on pads will make it super easy to get ready with the time constraints we're under with covid restrictions. 

IMG_20210523_152524275.jpg

Hope they work for ya.  I have the option B at home and with my narrow foot, they just can't be tight enough.  Even with my custom True boot.  I like the idea of how easy they are and if one is alittle loose it doesn't affect the others.  

Look forward to a review after you've been on the ice.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, insertnamehere said:

One skate done, it's really simple to install, all you need is a flat screwdriver.

Wearing it around the house it feels secure, but time will tell how it works on the ice. It did take a little adjustment to get the straps to the correct tightness. 

I don't want to use a thread locker on the hardware in the event I have to remove it, so I imagine I'll have to check them every couple of skates to make sure nothing falls off. 

The ease and swiftness with which a skate can be put on is nice, that combined with not having leather straps these days on pads will make it super easy to get ready with the time constraints we're under with covid restrictions. 

IMG_20210523_152524275.jpg

Doesn't the buckle part catch on the pad?

4 hours ago, goalie said:

Doesn't the buckle part catch on the pad?

I didn't notice anything catching on the pad when I put them on, but along with the instructions there was a disclaimer that depending on what pad you're using there may be some rubbing, with which you might want to cover with some tape. 

On 4/10/2021 at 3:53 PM, HaloHockey-Jack said:

Hey Hockey friends!  I’m the pigeon in the video 🤣🤣.  Thank you op for trying them out!  They are shipping out next week.  I look forward to your feedback so I can improve them where I can!  These are in fact similar to Option B.  The issue with those is if you wear your skates tight the top strap comes undone from the stress of your ankle.  I fixed that along with a couple other things.  I really appreciate your support and feel free to message me if you have any questions after you receive them.  

Jack

Halo Hockey

halohockeyusa@gmail.com

I ordered Halo bungee suspenders a while back and love them. I might just snag a set of these to try them out!

I bought a set of these to try out. Install was super quick. 

I can get my skates pretty tight with them. Not as tight as laces, but I tend to crank my laces tight. Walked around the house with one on and it seemed pretty good.

I play for the first time since March 2020 on Wednesday so ill see how that goes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/8/2021 at 5:58 PM, MangoRhinehart said:

I got around to playing on Sunday.

Initial review:

These actually work pretty well. Fast to get skates on and secure, stayed the same the whole game.

Still not as tight as laces but they work well.

I just got my first skate in with them last night, and echo your comments here.

It felt weird initially as I thought I really liked a tight skate, but as the hour progressed I felt very comfortable with a slightly looser skate. 

One screw did start to loosen, but that will be remedied by adding some thread locker once I get them to the right setting for me. 

So I've got two skates in with these and feel as though that's enough to give my verdict. 

If you like your skates extremely tight, I don't feel as though these will be for you. I've got them set up on my Graf Peakspeed Pro Gs about as tightly as they'll go and while they're secure, they're not as tight as I'm accustomed to. For me, I'm finding this to actually make my ankles and feet feel better after an hour on the ice. 

They're extremely quick to put on and remove and the level of tightness you get is consistent and doesn't change from the start of a game to the end. I did find that one of the screws loosened each time out, however I've since added blue loctite and don't foresee that to be a continuing issue. 

I don't think these are better than laces, and I don't find them to be worse either, they're just different. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the feedback and product review.  I’m just a one man show with a dream of making full sets of gear one day.  I appreciate all the interest and comments.  I’ll use them going forward on the first set of revisions for this product.  I love making gear and talking hockey with goalies everyday.  I couldn’t do it without you!