2021 Playoffs

MTH

On 6/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

I just don’t want a tampa bay repeat. Most underrated dirty team in the league. 

it's funny to read about dirty Tampa, when the Islanders broke Kucherov in front of the referee and they got nothing for it. in the first game, the Hubs also tried to break Kucherov in front of the referee. and again there was nothing for it. but they paid for it later. and after that you call Tampa dirty? lol

Basically, the sport is dirty, at least the NHL playoffs anyway. Pretty much every team is behaving this way and the refs are allowing most of it. If you remove your own bias and emotion, you realize the dirtiness is widespread through all the teams during the playoffs. For example, I’m an Islanders fan and when looking at it analytically, Mayfield’s crosscheck on Kucherov was brutal. As a biased, emotional fan, I’d say fuck Kucherov 😎.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ser33 said:

it's funny to read about dirty Tampa, when the Islanders broke Kucherov in front of the referee and they got nothing for it. in the first game, the Hubs also tried to break Kucherov in front of the referee. and again there was nothing for it. but they paid for it later. and after that you call Tampa dirty? lol

Islanders and Habs are just trying to get Tampa to adhere to the salary cap.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Basically, the sport is dirty, at least the NHL playoffs anyway. Pretty much every team is behaving this way and the refs are allowing most of it. If you remove your own bias and emotion, you realize the dirtiness is widespread through all the teams during the playoffs. For example, I’m an Islanders fan and when looking at it analytically, Mayfield’s crosscheck on Kucherov was brutal. As a biased, emotional fan, I’d say fuck Kucherov 😎.

I agree that when the main trophy is at stake, different techniques are used. I'm a fan of the Rangers, but I was very glad that my favorite goalkeepers' teams - Price, Fleury, Varley and Vasya - made it to the semifinals of this year. it didn't matter to me who would win the cup in the end, in any case, whoever I liked would win. therefore the unambiguous subjective prejudice puzzled me a little. it has a right to exist, no doubt. just looks strange from the outside

Edited by ser33

I don't think the 'dirty' stuff is new. Just that there is less BS in today's game so anything that deviates from the normal is deemed a problem.

That said, I think pro sports are overanalyzed. So the announcers are going ham on anything they can to be relevant. Add in the 10,000 online journalists now and you have a big to-do over nothing. Have to make it more sensational so people will pay attention to you...

Keaton Fox on Twitter: "FACT CHECK: Is This Anderson Cooper Standing in a  Ditch While Reporting Hurricane Florence? https://t.co/cF4RerR1OX… "

I would love to see a team win the cup and the fans climb on the ice like they did in the day. Absolute mayhem in a world that was so much more innocent then. Gretzky holding the cup with kids and adults just running behind him.

The 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers were great, but NHL's all-time best team?  Didn't see THAT coming | Edmonton Journal

The dude with the fresh white Nikes is climbing the glass.

No way this will ever happen again. I wonder when this ended? Had to be mid-80s with taller glass and all.

When they were airing all the old 'raising the cup' games last year, it was awesome to see the post game celebrations. All kinds of fans in the mix. No lame-o tee shirts and hats.. just raw emotions and fun.

Quick video - 74 Flyers win and count how many non-players were in the mix before the guys even left the bench.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTH said:

I would love to see a team win the cup and the fans climb on the ice like they did in the day. Absolute mayhem in a world that was so much more innocent then. Gretzky holding the cup with kids and adults just running behind him.

The 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers were great, but NHL's all-time best team?  Didn't see THAT coming | Edmonton Journal

The dude with the fresh white Nikes is climbing the glass.

No way this will ever happen again. I wonder when this ended? Had to be mid-80s with taller glass and all.

When they were airing all the old 'raising the cup' games last year, it was awesome to see the post game celebrations. All kinds of fans in the mix. No lame-o tee shirts and hats.. just raw emotions and fun.

Quick video - 74 Flyers win and count how many non-players were in the mix before the guys even left the bench.

You’re not wrong. 

The old days?

F6785B6B-4F1A-42AD-88C3-CC31B544BC4E.jpeg

23 hours ago, ser33 said:

I was rooting for the islanders until they started pulling dirty shit lol. Kuch isn’t a saint himself. If you’re talking about the slash by Weber and cross check by Chiarot you might wanna look at the replay on those, both blatant dives but whatever. Refs also missed a cross check by Sergachev. Every team has at least one punk but tampa has a buttload of them it seems :) 

I hope Montreal can get something going tonight like a win. I hate to say they're going to lose the series but TB just looks unstoppable offensively and then there's V to stop just about everything they throw at him. 

Would be great to see a packed house for them but I guess it won't be ☹

4 hours ago, Scythe said:

I hope Montreal can get something going tonight like a win. I hate to say they're going to lose the series but TB just looks unstoppable offensively and then there's V to stop just about everything they throw at him. 

heard that they were never allowed to raise the quota from 3,500 to 10,500 fans

5 hours ago, Scythe said:

I wants the Habs to light up and beat Tampax Bay.

Ugh, is this going to be series over just as soon as it starts? I’m sure Tampa fans are loving it, but if it’s not competitive, the neutrals lose out. I didn’t see game two, where Montreal outshot Tampa, but mostly it just appears as teams in two different classes. 

This championship will definitely have a tainted feel to it for the majority of people, due to Tampa’s salary cap situation. They’re basically $18 million over, right?

They’re already a tremendous team, seems like everyone else is at a huge disadvantage due to the cap situation. 

It’s annoying when analysts play the goalie battle game. One guy outplaying the other guy. Different people are shooting on each goalie. Different people are defending for each goalie. Vasilevskiy is great, but so is Price. Tampa thrashes every team and goalie. To me it’s unintelligent analysis to say it’s because Vasilevskiy is playing better than Price. 

9 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Ugh, is this going to be series over just as soon as it starts? I’m sure Tampa fans are loving it, but if it’s not competitive, the neutrals lose out. I didn’t see game two, where Montreal outshot Tampa, but mostly it just appears as teams in two different classes. 

This championship will definitely have a tainted feel to it for the majority of people, due to Tampa’s salary cap situation. They’re basically $18 million over, right?

They’re already a tremendous team, seems like everyone else is at a huge disadvantage due to the cap situation. 

It’s annoying when analysts play the goalie battle game. One guy outplaying the other guy. Different people are shooting on each goalie. Different people are defending for each goalie. Vasilevskiy is great, but so is Price. Tampa thrashes every team and goalie. To me it’s unintelligent analysis to say it’s because Vasilevskiy is playing better than Price. 

Montreal is hopefully just writing a dramatic comeback story. 

On 7/2/2021 at 11:24 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

It irritates the bajeezuss out of me. There are people who think they need to put Jerk Alien into goal (particularly St. Louis Blues fans) because Price is doing “terrible”. SMH 🤦‍♂️ I had to explain that every goal against, especially in the case of these games, is a TEAM event. 

I actually like Jake Allen, but Tampax Bay would be running up the score 13-1 if he were in net. 

Vagisilevski is a monster, but has a GREAT team in front of him, plain and simple.

• Sweeps are ok in semi finals but not in a SCF. Lets go Canadiens. Seems like a few non calls to me what are the
  • refs looking at?

The hand eye coordination by pretty much all of TB's players is incredible while Montreal players look like they're tripping over themselves

They play tomorrow at 8 at TB, right?

Last game for the lame-o NBC broadcast. They were reading their obituary during game 4. Hoping that next year they don't just have one channel play games 4-7 on their channel. So embarrassing that the NHL let that happen.

It's like letting a channel just play the last 30 minutes of every movie.

• Like 1

Nice game last night. 1-0 final game with the Canadiens bringing all they could in the 3rd to tie it. Lightning are a good team. If they can win next year, that would be legendary. It's almost mid-July. I'm sure the NHL wants to have a normal season this fall. These playoff teams will be at a disadvantage for sure with recovery times and all.

Nice to see a packed house for a cup game.

Congrats to TB (again).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MTH said:

Nice game last night. 1-0 final game with the Canadiens bringing all they could in the 3rd to tie it. Lightning are a good team. If they can win next year, that would be legendary. It's almost mid-July. I'm sure the NHL wants to have a normal season this fall. These playoff teams will be at a disadvantage for sure with recovery times and all.

Nice to see a packed house for a cup game.

Congrats to TB (again).

Tampax Bay were the better team. Maroon now has three rings and Jon Cooper has another Cup. (Both are local to St. Louis and are good guys)

Unless there is another outbreak, the season will start at the normal time, I believe. And being that we have had Stanley Cup game sevens on June 21, they are only three weeks over. However- this is about the time I used to run into pro players getting their coaching lessons and training with their training partners at the local rinks. I warmed up Tommy Wingels wearing an inside out Sharks jersey whilst he was trying to get on a team about five years back around this time of the year. Youth camps hosted by pros start this time of year. Yes- only three weeks over, but in the scheme of things, it’s a damned long time.

• Like 1