Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

2 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

BTW - was it this thread where you posted losses of 8 and 11 goals against…? Thank you for doing that; I’ve had a few blowouts, but thought it was because I’m newish, and I sorta suck. Those probably still hold true in my case, but it made me feel better to know that you and a few others here that I hold in high esteem have also surrendered more than 5.

Yeah, Chenner and I were chatting about high vs low level hockey and playing goalie in both.  I think I get rocked once a year for 10+ goals and I'm just glad it happened this year on my 40+ team where honestly, nobody cares about what happens and nobody takes it too seriously.  I feel like its humbling and healthy to get rocked like this now and then.  It's not always fun, but good for the heart and mind after it's all said and done. 

I guss I consider 8 the very end of a reasonable game.....like, not a blowout or getting rocked. I had 2 this season: 8-6 loss to a way better team, so reasonable, and, an 8-0 ass whooping where we just hilariously sucked as a team.  I didn't feel bad about either, personally.  The 11 goal game definitely stung though, oof. 

29 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, Chenner and I were chatting about high vs low level hockey and playing goalie in both.  I think I get rocked once a year for 10+ goals and I'm just glad it happened this year on my 40+ team where honestly, nobody cares about what happens and nobody takes it too seriously.  I feel like its humbling and healthy to get rocked like this now and then.  It's not always fun, but good for the heart and mind after it's all said and done. 

I guss I consider 8 the very end of a reasonable game.....like, not a blowout or getting rocked. I had 2 this season: 8-6 loss to a way better team, so reasonable, and, an 8-0 ass whooping where we just hilariously sucked as a team.  I didn't feel bad about either, personally.  The 11 goal game definitely stung though, oof. 

That’s all good stuff - you are certainly a good community member! 
I think it was that same chat, where you said something about “no leather straps, so they think I’m great”… I also have zero leather straps, but - at best - I get the niceties that roughly translate to either “better than the shooter tutor” or “at least I didn’t have to put on the pads”. This is certainly in part because I’m not that good, but let’s be honest: nobody notices our gear except for other (ex)goalies - and sometimes the refs! I had my new pads for two games without a sideways glance from my teammates; waiting for the zamboni to finish, the ref says “new pads! Nice!”

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2021 at 12:22 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Definitely appreciate the last two posts of this manner. You've effectively written out what I've always known about playing in lower leagues and it's great to see it spewed into words in a far more cohesive manner than I could ever garble out.

My lower level team is a team I've been on since my start just shy a decade ago. Hockey is less than what I'd prefer to play, but we have had a decent amount of success and the guys are great to hang with. There comes the conundrum where I'm willingly putting myself into a level of hockey that I'm not thrilled about for the sake of socializing.

If you asked me a few years ago what I thought about that, I'd be disappointed we weren't seeking out the best hockey we could play. As I age a bit, that social aspect become more important that I'll "stomach" the lower league as these guys turn more into brothers than teammates.

Oh and for the memes:

I fuck with this.  I've been with my regular team, or at least the core of it, for 5-6 years at least.  We're as competitive as we've ever been, playing in the most competitive league around.  The games are always so much for fun to play, win or lose, because its always a skilled competitive game.  Especially now that we'll be moving up to the B division.

My newer team, the Warriors, plays in the E division.  The games are not very fun if I am being honest.  However, in the 8 months I have been playing with them, I have more fun with them than I have ever had with the Knights. 

We're a fucking famly!
Were Family Tony Toretto GIF - WereFamily TonyToretto  FastAndFuriousSpyRacers - Discover & Share GIFs

I know it has everything to do with the fact that we're all Veterans.  We all have "something" in common.  We all have a mostly common mindset.  Shit, we LOST our championship game a few weeks ago and we were out in the parking lot bbqing all night.  There were some guys there until 430am.  I left around 130 and there were still a lot of guys there.  I have a video, it was fucking amazing.  I have honestly been contemplating leaving the Knights to play full time with the Warriors.  The only thing holding me back is that there is already a goalie on the Warriors more suited to the E level of play and I would feel bad taking time away from him.  My other fear is that if I leave the Knights they'll fold.  I run literally everything.  Finances, roll call, roster, fill ins.  Also part of the reason I want to leave.  Its such a fucking hassle.  Its so nice rolling to my Warrior games without a care in the world except to play.  It's especially nice not having 10 pounds of pucks in my bag lol.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 10:25 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

So made a tough decision to leave my team of 8-9 years for a team that plays better hockey. I'll now be on two teams that are closer to the same level of hockey instead of wildly varying between high level and low level hockey.

New team is a good group of guys I've played on and off with over the years, even won a 'ship with them too. So it's not like I'm solely leaving for the hockey.

Still, feels like I broke up with my girlfriend to be with my other, hotter girlfriend.

I'll just go fuck myself now. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

BTW - was it this thread where you posted losses of 8 and 11 goals against…? Thank you for doing that; I’ve had a few blowouts, but thought it was because I’m newish, and I sorta suck. Those probably still hold true in my case, but it made me feel better to know that you and a few others here that I hold in high esteem have also surrendered more than 5.

Uhhh yea, most of my games are 5+ on both ends.  Especially when we play crossovers with teams from the B division.  Its going to be really fun when we move up to the B division full time starting in the fall season.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I fuck with this.  I've been with my regular team, or at least the core of it, for 5-6 years at least.  We're as competitive as we've ever been, playing in the most competitive league around.  The games are always so much for fun to play, win or lose, because its always a skilled competitive game.  Especially now that we'll be moving up to the B division.

My newer team, the Warriors, plays in the E division.  The games are not very fun if I am being honest.  However, in the 8 months I have been playing with them, I have more fun with them than I have ever had with the Knights. 

We're a fucking famly!
Were Family Tony Toretto GIF - WereFamily TonyToretto  FastAndFuriousSpyRacers - Discover & Share GIFs

I know it has everything to do with the fact that we're all Veterans.  We all have "something" in common.  We all have a mostly common mindset.  Shit, we LOST our championship game a few weeks ago and we were out in the parking lot bbqing all night.  There were some guys there until 430am.  I left around 130 and there were still a lot of guys there.  I have a video, it was fucking amazing.  I have honestly been contemplating leaving the Knights to play full time with the Warriors.  The only thing holding me back is that there is already a goalie on the Warriors more suited to the E level of play and I would feel bad taking time away from him.  My other fear is that if I leave the Knights they'll fold.  I run literally everything.  Finances, roll call, roster, fill ins.  Also part of the reason I want to leave.  Its such a fucking hassle.  Its so nice rolling to my Warrior games without a care in the world except to play.  It's especially nice not having 10 pounds of pucks in my bag lol.

Wow,  that's pretty rare for a goalie to be GM and run the team.  Good on you for doing it but it sounds exhausting and frustrating.  I've run a few pickups now and then and it is a lot of work.  

Speaking of pickup, I played well in my 90 minute game today at 5:45.  Let in 3, one of which my gigantic defenseman batted in the air like a volleyball ball and I had no clue where it was.....it rolled down my back while in a butterfly and it.  What a goober.  Fun skate though.  The other goalie was an older gent with Vaughn V3 gear and he played old school, standup, really aggressive,  kinda reminded me of early Osgood.  Very fun to watch.  

I happen to make a pretty sassy glove save on a very fast breakaway. Right shot, cut across the middle,  tried to roof it glove, boom.  Active hands out in front boys.....right on cue from earlier ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

0?ui=2&ik=7319f0cdec&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1707405859274260604&th=17b1ec953176807c&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ80qNO7tpcYZXYyoQCBClP53Soyas8k5aFJh8nMyNTzhKlJliroI3wBBr8pMYk9xk1nJmHTkuqMeiHJgoJ7NL41ifoNXr0WdeFrDqYUHcj2dp9ITR3Rhu3elcg&disp=emb

Picked up these 2 sticks today for $13 a piece (thanks to National Sports closing down), and was thinking of messing around with them. Anyone got any trigger grip ideas, hyperlite pentagrip-esque ideas to try out that have worked for you? Also would be open to 3D printing something. 

I also got these in a 24 and 25 to try some new lower paddle heights, since I've always used a 26 being 6'2, so excited to get on the ice and try something smaller

Edited by dretti33

On 7/26/2021 at 11:34 AM, motowngoalie said:

A nice pile of gear at the Red Wings equipment sale on Saturday. Prices were a bit exorbitant though, $500 for a Calvin Pickard blocker? No thanks. No real strategy with it though, Bernier's True pads were only $700. 

IMG_20210724_093838683_HDR.jpg

So even at a Red Wings sale… Sigh! I mean, who set these up, Dave “inner rolls” Coulier…?

018BF6BD-DEFD-4B88-A3E5-9191C404CA61.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dretti33 said:

How have I never seen that grip before, that seems interesting. I'll definitely try that one out. What's the purpose of the front shoulder at a 90 degree angle? 

It looks counterintuitive, but I get a nice, comfortable grip with my index finger firmly on the paddle.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Joke's on you.  I've been working plenty I just haven't been actively on here.  Was catching up on another forum.  

GASP! So you’re cheating on us….? AND you’re screwing the pooch at work…? Does your wife know how many other relationships you’re juggling …? 😁

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am growing more more closer to calling it quits with my main team.  We played last night.  I did not wanna be there knowing the wife and kids were home having a movie night.  I played like I didn't wanna be there that's for sure lol

It’s obviously not that enjoyable when your mind is home. Hockey is literally my escape. 

• Like 1