Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

I look at it as all goalies in the NHL are exceptional athletes,  exceptional goalies,  and frankly exceptional human animals.

Given the number of small goalies under 6 feet (only 2, maybe 3), they need to be more exceptional. They simply have to do more to get the same results.  Saros' stats are really good and I think that shows he's perhaps exceptional-er than his peers. 

It's easy to say all small goalies have to do is move quicker and better.  But, what if the larger goalies can move like the small goalies? 

What's better: a large goalie who can move like a small goalie, or, a small goalie who moves quickly?

What's more likely: a large goalie who can move like a small goalie,  or, a small goalie who can play as big as a large goalie?

Pretty obvious,  I think.

Edited by seagoal

With how accurate and fast shooters are these days, even average ones, I don't think we see a return to sub-6' goaltenders. Much smaller than that and you have to come too far out of the net to take away the top while butterflied, and any goalie who tried to play stand-up would get absolutely lit.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:13 PM, seagoal said:

What's better: a large goalie who can move like a small goalie, or, a small goalie who moves quickly?

Pretty obvious,  I think.

It's essentially why Vasy is so dominant. He's got the build of the typical giant goalie, but he moves and reacts like a smaller one would have to in order to keep up.

23 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

With how accurate and fast shooters are these days, even average ones, I don't think we see a return to sub-6' goaltenders. Much smaller than that and you have to come too far out of the net to take away the top while butterflied, and any goalie who tried to play stand-up would get absolutely lit.

Exactly.  The knock on large goalies back in the day was they were too slow.  The old hockey joke, right: throw the big fat guy who can't move in the net. 

Eventually it was possible that large guys, no longer fat, could develop speed, agility, and quickness.  That gap was possible to overcome and @coopaloop1234 mentioned that one guy who is the best example.

The gap for small goalies, simply their size, is not actually possible to overcome.  Yes, they/we can play goalie and some, very few nowadays, can play in the NHL, but it's not because they've overcome their size.  Their size is still a deficit.  They are just more exceptional athletes, their speed, their quickness, their agility, their decision making, their strategy.....are all more exceptional.  Those types of things can be overcome and learned and developed. Size, can not. 

Edited by seagoal

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Congrats! That's a bold placement for a first tattoo.  Based on that and the style,  this won't be your last.  

Are you planning #2 already?

Lol yeah, it hurt like a bitch but it was well worth it, and I plan on getting more, yes. Im not sure what and where #2 will be. Probably on the left arm to balance things out. Hopefully as a christmas present :) but that’s just wishful thinking haha 

Edited by southpawtendy48

2 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Lol yeah, it hurt like a bitch but it was well worth it, and I plan on getting more, yes. Im not sure what and where #2 will be. Probably on the left arm to balance things out. Hopefully as a christmas present :) but that’s just wishful thinking haha 

Nice.  That's one of the easier spots.....you're in for a fun ride :)

The inside of the arm is worse than the outside, for sure. 

16 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Sorry pal, I have no idea what that shirt means AND I do not have that one ;)

Ah, no worries! Slowdive is a shoegaze band - one of my favourites. I actually met them the night I bought this shirt! In a music thread a while back, we discovered we had a lot of overlapping music tastes (kings of convenience and REM, among others, if memory serves)

Just now, Lucky Pucker said:

Ah, no worries! Slowdive is a shoegaze band - one of my favourites. I actually met them the night I bought this shirt! In a music thread a while back, we discovered we had a lot of overlapping music tastes (kings of convenience and REM, among others, if memory serves)

Yep, that's right.  Quiet is the New Loud by KoC is my go-to album driving to hockey, especially if I'm amped up which means my heart rate and blood sugar are climbing. 

I'm on a 10,000 Maniacs kick right now though.

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yep, that's right.  Quiet is the New Loud by KoC is my go-to album driving to hockey, especially if I'm amped up which means my heart rate and blood sugar are climbing. 

I'm on a 10,000 Maniacs kick right now though.

And there’s your REM connection: Nathalie Merchant and Michael Stipe are long time friends (maybe sang together too at some point…?)

5 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

And there’s your REM connection: Nathalie Merchant and Michael Stipe are long time friends (maybe sang together too at some point…?)

True. Yeah they sang together a bit, mostly live though. He's on a track or two of their records...the song A Campfire Song on In My Tribe, for sure.  She's not on any REM record.

There were rumors they were dating for a while in the 90s , except for, you know, the whole gay thing with him. 

Last REM record I listened to was Reveal, about 3 weeks ago.

Edited by seagoal

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

True. Yeah they sang together a bit, mostly live though. He's on a track or two of their records...the song A Campfire Song on In My Tribe, for sure.  She's not on any REM record.

There were rumors they were dating for a while in the 90s , except for, you know, the whole gay thing with him. 

Yeah, he has said in interviews over the years that as far as he was concerned, he thought it was obvious that he was openly gay since the early 80s. The press - including music press - serves at the pleasure of a lot of considerations- but objectivity and truth are seldom among them.

Just now, WillyGrips13 said:

I was today years old when I learned the genre name “Shoegaze”. Just looked it up. 

Not sure what your tastes are like, but I can’t get over this genre of music - even though it ended, strictly speaking, around 93-94. First time I heard a Slowdive as a precocious and music savvy teen, it blew my mind!

On 8/11/2021 at 1:16 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

Yeah, he has said in interviews over the years that as far as he was concerned, he thought it was obvious that he was openly gay since the early 80s. The press - including music press - serves at the pleasure of a lot of considerations- but objectivity and truth are seldom among them.

I mean he was wearing makeup and skirts for a long time and while he claims he was "writing love songs about dudes" on REM records, I think his perception of his own clarity is perhaps unfair.  I do know he's a very private, fairly shy and introverted guy and he despised being famous for most of his career.  I remember thinking when he came out as gay: A) well it's about damn time and B) boring, not news, next.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:16 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

I was today years old when I learned the genre name “Shoegaze”. Just looked it up. 

Man, I heard this for the first time very recently and loved it and had intended on using it...thanks for the reminder.

At the rink last week I was chatting with a goalie about being a regular on this site for a long time.  He had not been on any goalie forums before.  We were chatting about the type of activity and threads, topics, etc.  He asked me two good questions:

1) What have I taken on or changed because I spend time on here?  I said: bungee toe ties, no boot strap, stiff(er) pads, shorter stick, 1 piece glove with a leather wrist strap, only elastic pad straps.  A couple of other things crossed my mind like cowlingless skates, but really those could be just because I've bought new skates recently and that's what's available at market nowadays.

2) Do you read all the threads?  Do you avoid some topics?  This was interesting to think about.  I basically never read/contribute to threads about skates, pants, or chest protectors.  Today, in fact, there are active skates and pants threads that I haven't looked at. I suppose certain brand threads attract me more and some brands I don't look at or contribute to much.  I guess there's a difference between active personal interest (Vaughn) and general industry curiosity (Bauer).  I'll read both in those cases and learn things, but not contribute much to a Bauer thread.

I tried to sway him to join...no luck yet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, seagoal said:

At the rink last week I was chatting with a goalie about being a regular on this site for a long time.  He had not been on any goalie forums before.  We were chatting about the type of activity and threads, topics, etc.  He asked me two good questions:

1) What have I taken on or changed because I spend time on here?  I said: bungee toe ties, no boot strap, stiff(er) pads, shorter stick, 1 piece glove with a leather wrist strap, only elastic pad straps.  A couple of other things crossed my mind like cowlingless skates, but really those could be just because I've bought new skates recently and that's what's available at market nowadays.

2) Do you read all the threads?  Do you avoid some topics?  This was interesting to think about.  I basically never read/contribute to threads about skates, pants, or chest protectors.  Today, in fact, there are active skates and pants threads that I haven't looked at. I suppose certain brand threads attract me more and some brands I don't look at or contribute to much.  I guess there's a difference between active personal interest (Vaughn) and general industry curiosity (Bauer).  I'll read both in those cases and learn things, but not contribute much to a Bauer thread.

Did you tell him you're buds with the most popular user on this site? I kid, I'm a cancer on this site.

I'm in the same boat, I don't think there's a thread I don't read but there are some that are me mostly skimming through instead of actively reading/engaging.

Edited by coopaloop1234

On 8/11/2021 at 2:05 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Did you tell him you're buds with the most popular user on this site? I kid, I'm a cancer on this site.

I'm in the same boat, I don't think there's a thread I don't read but there are some that are me mostly skimming through instead of actively reading/engaging.

Aww man, you're too harsh on yourself.

For sure.  I think bungee ties are the most valuable peer pressure I've ever caved to.

You Only Live 9 Lives - Imgflip

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2021 at 2:13 PM, seagoal said:

Aww man, you're too harsh on yourself.

I think you know me well enough that to not take my self deprecating humour seriously.

Funny enough, the Bungee/no boot strap was my sole real take away from this forum as well. Granted, I was using the elastic toe and heel strap that Warrior pads automatically come with, but ditched those for the no boot strap and prolace cords.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 2:38 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

I think you know me well enough that to not take my self deprecating humour seriously.

Funny enough, the Bungee/no boot strap was my sole real take away from this forum as well. Granted, I was using the elastic toe and heel strap that Warrior pads automatically come with, but ditched those for the no boot strap and prolace cords.

It's funny to me how many goalies there are out there-like, real goalies in beer league, not us on here-who have no idea that bungee toe ties exist.  Granted, these same goalies still have pads with 47 leather straps, mostly. 

I think at this point though it's default on all pads so buying new gear now guarantees bungees.  Trailblazing troublemaking rebels like us can now all say we did it "before it was cool standard."

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 2:44 PM, seagoal said:

It's funny to me how many goalies there are out there-like, real goalies in beer league, not us on here-who have no idea that bungee toe ties exist.  Granted, these same goalies still have pads with 47 leather straps, mostly. 

I think at this point though it's default on all pads so buying new gear now guarantees bungees.  Trailblazing troublemaking rebels like us can now all say we did it "before it was cool standard."

The only thing I like about doing random pick up games is chatting to the other goalie about their gear.

Granted most of the guys that come out to these are either beginners or super casual, drop in only goalies, but man sometimes I'm perplexed at their set ups.

Had one guy who used INT warrior G4's because they were thinner, and he squished the crap out of them. They were super floppy despite only being used for less than a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

I've tried to get several guys to look into these forums, starting with the GSBB. Especially those who were searching for  information about various equipment issues. It often seems like the idea of coming to these forums was a hassle to them. Their loss.

Joining the GSBB and this forum has actually saved me a lot of money over the years. Before that I got my goalie fix by looking on eBay and buying equipment I thought might help my game. It was very trial and error based. I ended up buying and selling a lot of stuff so I recouped most of the money. But, I felt like I was chasing answers.

After joining GSBB and then later here, I could ask questions and search the forums and often get answers that would lead to low-cost solutions. I've been using the same equipment since 2012 with other equipment that dates back to 2005 mixed into the rotation. Care and repairs have helped with allowing me to continue using this gear. It still is protective and functional.

I have added the bungee-style toe attachments, Prolaces, subtracted leg pad straps, and made small manufacturer purchases, PAW and Maltese.

I certainly prefer some thread topics over others. Pictures, anything funny and anything John Brown related (The equipment manufacturer, not the abolitionist, although he was pretty important, too).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

It’s the way the dice rolled. In the end, I can dedicate more resources to kids in need and other things and matters that help the world at large.  It’s in the silver lining. 

That was my grandmothers favorite saying ("every cloud has a silver lining"). She was a WW2 refugee, left her home in Estonia in the middle of the night with my 4 year old father in one hand and a bag in the other. Never saw her home again. But she always looked on the bright side. 

It's so easy to look at all the things we don't have and complain and be depressed. But life's too short, you gotta look at what you do have and be grateful for that. There's always something good somewhere.

• Thanks 2