Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

Me and two goalie buds were laughing at Bauer Konect skates needing new buckles.  This was said to many LOLs:

Bauer is really bad about inventing problems and solving them for you:

Bauer: Hey goalie, you ever wish your skates could be put on FASTER?

Goalie: No.

Bauer: Great! Now with Konect skates you can put them on faster!

Goalie: Wait, I said No.....

Bauer: Hey goalie,  you ever wish you had ski boot buckles instead of laces?

Bauer: Great! Now with Bauer Konect skates you have no laces and ski boot buckles. 

26 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Me and two goalie buds were laughing at Bauer Konect skates needing new buckles.  This was said to many LOLs:

Bauer: Great! Now with Bauer Konect skates you have no laces and ski boot buckles. 

The "being able to put them on really fast" was a selling point to me since I coach. Had them for 8 months now with no buckle issues thus far, thankfully (still have my 2X Pros in the event something happens).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, keeperton said:

The "being able to put them on really fast" was a selling point to me since I coach. Had them for 8 months now with no buckle issues thus far, thankfully (still have my 2X Pros in the event something happens).

Do you skate at Sherwood?  Nice rink, I've played there.

23 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Remember when that goalie's pad came off mid play as dude didn't use any leather straps? 

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2020/01/28231/goal-scored-after-finnish-league-goaltender-loses-leg-pad/

I remember a lot of discussion, even from goalies, using this as proof that velcro attachment points are not worth it and are more of a detriment in "the name of putting pads on faster". 

Remember when Jonas Gustavsson's Warrior G2 pad went face down and it led to a goal?

Same discussion popped up about the draw backs of using Velcro then too, and this was early in the velcro "revolution" where there was far less people who have drank the Koolaid. 

We all know that velcro isn't just about the ease of getting dressed but also has performance implications as well and any progress with how gear is created/supplied will always have some figuring out. 

TL;DR you're an old head now son. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Remember when that goalie's pad came off mid play as dude didn't use any leather straps? 

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2020/01/28231/goal-scored-after-finnish-league-goaltender-loses-leg-pad/

I remember a lot of discussion, even from goalies, using this as proof that velcro attachment points are not worth it and are more of a detriment in "the name of putting pads on faster". 

Remember when Jonas Gustavsson's Warrior G2 pad went face down and it led to a goal?

Same discussion popped up about the draw backs of using Velcro then too, and this was early in the velcro "revolution" where there was far less people who have drank the Koolaid. 

We all know that velcro isn't just about the ease of getting dressed but also has performance implications as well and any progress with how gear is created/supplied will always have some figuring out. 

TL;DR you're an old head now son. 

Haha, I get it. 

That don't mean it ain't funny though.

I do think the transition from 34 leather straps to 1 or 2 velcro straps was a bit more justified than skate laces to plastic/metal hinges. 

That's just me....old(ish), me. 

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Haha, I get it. 

That don't mean it ain't funny though.

I do think the transition from 34 leather straps to 1 or 2 velcro straps was a bit more justified than skate laces to plastic/metal hinges. 

That's just me....old(ish), me. 

Why tighten multiple points when two does the trick? 

It's the same argument. ;) 

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Why tighten multiple points when two does the trick? 

It's the same argument. ;) 

But in leather straps, they functionally did mostly nothing, especially given the general consensus that we should "wear them as loose as possible." 

I'm not convinced that parallel is there with skate laces.  Are you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

But in leather straps, they functionally did mostly nothing, especially given the general consensus that we should "wear them as loose as possible." 

I'm not convinced that parallel is there with skate laces.  Are you?

I know the Reebok Premier style was loose, loose, loose and that was mostly because wearing them tight would work against you. 

I'd say that's a function. :P 

Aside from the Premiers, pretty sure different tensions was pretty common depending on preferences.  I went through a few different strapping on my V4's myself and I know they changed how the pad felt/played. 

I'd say leather straps were far more functional than you're giving credit to. 

The first real draw of velcro strapping was ease of use and consistent tension (without needing to count holes) and it eventually shifted to different strapping options all together that simplify and enhance pad feel/performance. 

Konekts will be the same and I bet in ~10 years skate laces as a default option will be pretty damn rare. 

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I know the Reebok Premier style was loose, loose, loose and that was mostly because wearing them tight would work against you. 

I'd say that's a function. :P 

Aside from the Premiers, pretty sure different tensions was pretty common depending on preferences.  I went through a few different strapping on my V4's myself and I know they changed how the pad felt/played. 

I'd say leather straps were far more functional than you're giving credit to. 

The first real draw of velcro strapping was ease of use and consistent tension (without needing to count holes) and it eventually shifted to different strapping options all together that simplify and enhance pad feel/performance. 

Konekts will be the same and I bet in ~10 years skate laces as a default option will be pretty damn rare. 

hmm. Maybe.

I remember goalies saying, in relation to no leather straps pads with all velcro: they look like they are going to fall off my leg.  how do those stay on?  not for me.

I'm not the version of that for skates.

I'm more:  I have zero problems with how skate lace skates function, and, have had zero problems with them my whole life. =  Skate lace skates function perfectly.

So, the function argument is a total miss.  In fact, it's a loss, given how they have a new set of problems with the metal/plastic hinges that do not exist. I do know that skate laces break, but, I have played 3 times a week for most of 29 years and can't remember mine breaking, not once.

I do know a goalie who wanted leather straps recently and opted for all velcro (finally) because "that's all there is."

If I'm that goalie for skates soon, so be it.

Edited by seagoal

hmm. Maybe.

I remember goalies saying, in relation to no leather straps pads with all velcro: they look like they are going to fall off my leg.  how do those stay on?  not for me.

I'm not the version of that for skates.

I'm more:  I have zero problems with how skate lace skates function, and, have had zero problems with them my whole life. =  Skate lace skates function perfectly.

So, the function argument is a total miss.  In fact, it's a loss, given how they have a new set of problems with the metal/plastic hinges that do not exist. I do know that skate laces break, but, I have played 3 times a week for most of 29 years and can't remember mine breaking, not once.

Eh, I have days where I can't get my skates tied just right and it bothers me the entire ice time. 

I see the appeal and functionality of getting a quick and easy set up that's consistent. 

The buckle issues will be resolved eventually, this is a good example of why you never take the first iteration of "new" technology. Especially Bauer lol. 

And you've never had a skate lace break? Man, count yourself lucky. I've broken only a handful (like 2-3) over the years, but I'll always keep s spare set of laces on hand just in case. 

• Like 2

I will say @coopaloop1234 I did think the new generation of Bauer gear "looks cheap" and have said "it's not for me" on here.  I still think that's true.  But that's not a functional argument and as you know, I'm now in Bauer.  That changed after being able to get my hands on/in the gear.

Edited by seagoal

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Eh, I have days where I can't get my skates tied just right and it bothers me the entire ice time. 

I see the appeal and functionality of getting a quick and easy set up that's consistent. 

The buckle issues will be resolved eventually, this is a good example of why you never take the first iteration of "new" technology. Especially Bauer lol. 

And you've never had a skate lace break? Man, count yourself lucky. I've broken only a handful (like 2-3) over the years, but I'll always keep s spare set of laces on hand just in case. 

yeah, seriously lucky.

I'm also at the rink an hour early and have always had a space set in my bag ;)

I will say @coopaloop1234 I did think the new generation of Bauer gear "looks cheap" and have said "it's not for me" on here.  I still think that's true.  But that's not a functional argument and as you know, I'm now in Bauer.  That change after being able to get my hands on/in the gear.

Funny enough, I thought the same about Bauer even before the Odin stuff came along. I never really like their stuff even in the NXG/Total One days too. 

Go figure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Funny enough, I thought the same about Bauer even before the Odin stuff came along. I never really like their stuff even in the NXG/Total One days too. 

Go figure. 

I mean it looks like plastic street hockey gear but it FEELs amazing.  It's all about the feels.

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Do you skate at Sherwood?  Nice rink, I've played there.

Yeah, it and the "Winterhawks Skating Center" (formerly Valley Ice Arena) are the only two around here so I'm beholden. Depending on when you last skated at Sherwood, it's changed a far amount: ownership changed in like December 2019, then got really pissed with all the COVID shutdown stuff and it hasn't been the same since because they run it as cheaply as possible. The facilities are still much nicer, but part of that feels like only because it's 30+ years newer, I've been skating there since it opened in '99. I coach at the WSC/Valley/Beaverton rink.

It's actually for sale in some capacity right now because they ran it into the ground, whoops.

Edit: This comes across really bitter, sorry. It's a nice building and I absolutely do not want it to fail. I want it to be all it can be: a rather nice two-sheeter ice rink in a growing suburb, but someone needs to take care of it.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

yeah, seriously lucky.

I'm also at the rink an hour early and have always had a space set in my bag ;)

Never had a lace break in over 25 years of playing consistently either, but have had toe-tie laces get cut by a skate. Tangentially, I think it's interesting that there's a push to go back to skate lace as a toe-tie from the bungees. I'm still waiting on those inverse-hybrid Prolaces that look designed to be exactly what I want.

Edited by keeperton

28 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Yeah, it and the "Winterhawks Skating Center" (formerly Valley Ice Arena) are the only two around here so I'm beholden. Depending on when you last skated at Sherwood, it's changed a far amount: ownership changed in like December 2019, then got really pissed with all the COVID shutdown stuff and it hasn't been the same since because they run it as cheaply as possible. The facilities are still much nicer, but part of that feels like only because it's 30+ years newer, I've been skating there since it opened in '99. I coach at the WSC/Valley/Beaverton rink.

It's actually for sale in some capacity right now because they ran it into the ground, whoops.

Edit: This comes across really bitter, sorry. It's a nice building and I absolutely do not want it to fail. I want it to be all it can be: a rather nice two-sheeter ice rink in a growing suburb, but someone needs to take care of it.

Never had a lace break in over 25 years of playing consistently either, but have had toe-tie laces get cut by a skate. Tangentially, I think it's interesting that there's a push to go back to skate lace as a toe-tie from the bungees. I'm still waiting on those inverse-hybrid Prolaces that look designed to be exactly what I want.

I don't remember exactly, but it was around 2012-2015 when I skated there.  Also, the rink in Vancouver, WA around then.  It was a back to back year after year situation at Sherwood - Vancounver. My buddy here, who is Korean, is a member of a Korean Church group and there is a large cohort in their church that plays hockey.  They had a friendly game every year with their Seattle vs Portland group and they needed a goalie 2 years in a row and I got invited, one year in Sherwood and the next in Vancouver. 

Yeah, I never had a toe-tie break either.  I did have a toe bridge come loss and fall off once, the old screw-in ones. I never thought to get a screwdriver and tighten them, haha. 

8 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I don't remember exactly, but it was around 2012-2015 when I skated there.  Also, the rink in Vancouver, WA around then.  It was a back to back year after year situation at Sherwood - Vancounver. My buddy here, who is Korean, is a member of a Korean Church group and there is a large cohort in their church that plays hockey.  They had a friendly game every year with their Seattle vs Portland group and they needed a goalie 2 years in a row and I got invited, one year in Sherwood and the next in Vancouver. 

Yeah, I never had a toe-tie break either.  I did have a toe bridge come loss and fall off once, the old screw-in ones. I never thought to get a screwdriver and tighten them, haha. 

That sounds like a really cool experience. Vancouver's its own little story of weird, I suppose all rinks may be.

My dad used to routinely tighten the screws on my brother's and my Vaughns for that after he had one fall out of his Visions.

1 minute ago, keeperton said:

That sounds like a really cool experience. Vancouver's its own little story of weird, I suppose all rinks may be.

My dad used to routinely tighten the screws on my brother's and my Vaughns for that after he had one fall out of his Visions.

Neat, your brother is a goalie too?  Oof, sorry for your parents bank accounts.  

I think mine fell off on my V6s, these

20150817_194847.jpg

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Neat, your brother is a goalie too?  Oof, sorry for your parents bank accounts.  

I think mine fell off on my V6s, these

20150817_194847.jpg

Yep, oldest was a stay-at-home defenseman (RD), middle was a goalie, and I was a RW or RD until I decided I really wanted to play goalie full-time at age 9 (played every position between 6-9). I didn't get gear that wasn't a hand-me-down until I was 11, Velocity 1s (I still have these in my garage) and Legacy gloves. Still have my first mask, a candy-apple-red Itech Widowmaker Profile.

Edited by keeperton

7 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Yep, oldest was a stay-at-home defenseman (RD), middle was a goalie, and I was a RW or RD until I decided I really wanted to play goalie full-time at age 9 (played every position between 6-9). I didn't get gear that wasn't a hand-me-down until I was 11, Velocity 1s (I still have these in my garage) and Legacy gloves.

Man, that sounds super fun.  Many of my current teammates have their family  situations like that with their kids.  Definitely warms the heart.   My childhood in Louisiana was nothing like that with hockey, I was just glued to channel 42 on my TV soaking in all the hockey content I could on the Dallas Stars network....

I went to Dallas once as a kid for a rodeo.....If only I had grabbed a puck.  Damn. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Man, that sounds super fun.  Many of my current teammates have their family  situations like that with their kids.  Definitely warms the heart.   My childhood in Louisiana was nothing like that with hockey, I was just glued to channel 42 on my TV soaking in all the hockey content I could on the Dallas Stars network....

I went to Dallas once as a kid for a rodeo.....If only I had grabbed a puck.  Damn. 

For what it's worth, I never played with either of them as I was too much younger. They were often on teams together, I only got to play with one of them in adult league relatively recently and the other stopped playing after university.

We did play street hockey with the neighboring cul-de-sac kids a lot though.

6 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

If I planned on having them longer I would but I might switch to ccm skates next season for better steel, better lateral ankle mobility, and a proper custom fit. And of course I'd dye those holders black too

What’s so bad about Bauer steel? Just get some step steel for Bauer. And why ccm?

Edited by Hockey34

I was just going through some old paintings that I did in the early 2000s, my early 20s, and found this goalie.  I had forgotten about it.  Gonna frame it and put it up near my gear room.  My partner couldn't see the goalie.  I said he's making a glove save...still, couldn't see it.   Oh well. 

20230808_210613.jpg

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Hockey34 said:

What’s so bad about Bauer steel? Just get some step steel for Bauer. And why ccm?

You can't get step for bauer for legal reasons unfortunately. Bauer’s steel is far too soft and inconsistent from set to set. I really like the boot CCM has this year. They're lighter than konekts, more comfortable than bauer pros by a long shot, and have a better custom program, ankle mobility, and durability than True. And True's stock steel is currently the worst on the market though their partnership with JRZ for steel will change that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

I was just going through some old paintings that I did in the early 2000s, my early 20s, and found this goalie.  I had forgotten about it.  Gonna frame it and put it up near my gear room.  My partner couldn't see the goalie.  I said he's making a glove save...still, couldn't see it.   Oh well. 

20230808_210613.jpg

spiderman-tobey-maguire.gif

• Haha 1