Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

33 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

You can't get step for bauer for legal reasons unfortunately. Bauer’s steel is far too soft and inconsistent from set to set. I really like the boot CCM has this year. They're lighter than konekts, more comfortable than bauer pros by a long shot, and have a better custom program, ankle mobility, and durability than True. And True's stock steel is currently the worst on the market though their partnership with JRZ for steel will change that. 

JRZ Steel is what you want, it is Stepsteel reborn after selling off to CCM. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, seagoal said:

I was just going through some old paintings that I did in the early 2000s, my early 20s, and found this goalie.  I had forgotten about it.  Gonna frame it and put it up near my gear room.  My partner couldn't see the goalie.  I said he's making a glove save...still, couldn't see it.   Oh well. 

20230808_210613.jpg

This reminds me of all the failed swastika graffiti you see done by kids who have trouble with shapes. 

ElmN9W4XUAEbOMR.jpg

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, seagoal said:

I was just going through some old paintings that I did in the early 2000s, my early 20s, and found this goalie.  I had forgotten about it.  Gonna frame it and put it up near my gear room.  My partner couldn't see the goalie.  I said he's making a glove save...still, couldn't see it.   Oh well. 

20230808_210613.jpg

Feeling charitable just now, so I’m going to say that it is modern figurative abstraction . I could also say it reminds me of those rune-like minimalist pictograms that they have at each olympics

IMG_5168.jpeg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Feeling charitable just now, so I’m going to say that it is modern figurative abstraction . I could also say it reminds me of those rune-like minimalist pictograms that they have at each olympics

IMG_5168.jpeg

Aww man, see, you get me.

Definitely see the runes, or, if like Paul Klee was not good but painted a goalie..........haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, seagoal said:

congrats! any pics?

I guess. $650 USD for the set, the ol' intermediate sized discount. They're 32+2 though and taller than the "senior" Eflex 3 set beside. I measured my hands and I'm exactly at the bottom of the range for senior and the top of the range for intermediate, so I figured I'd give it a go. 

Screenshot_20230811-122836-432.thumb.png

Edited by insertnamehere

20 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

Except that I would be standing whilst making the glove save. "Stay on your feet and don't play the puck. You're a goalie." So sayeth the 1960's coaches.

Well I never said it was a GOOD or ACCURATE impersonator- lol!

So you’re saying you got coaching beyond “just stop the damned puck”…? Lucky!

12 hours ago, seagoal said:

@Lucky Pucker

Dude, are you playing these days? What's going on in your personal hockey life?

Well, until this summer, I had never played as a skater in full gear (which I never owned). @johnchoinvited me out to a skate a while back, and I kitted out at PIAS, and hit the ice as a shitty, dime-a-dozen skater. But I still loved it, so  I’ve actually been playing out as a skater in pickup games 1-2 times a week (with a few appearances between the pipes as well). Funny thing, as I was concerned in May-June that my summer was lining up to be WAY too quiet on the hockey front. The hockey Gods have looked kindly on me - lol!

Changes on the horizon for the upcoming season though, as I’ll be leaving the team that decided to roll the dice on a 40 year old who was just starting out in nets. It was a very amicable break up. They’re moving on to a 50+ league, so I wouldn’t be eligible to play anyway.

During my kid’s hockey season, which I was head coach for, it turned out that the President of an invitation-only league in our area had his son on my team. He was very pleased with my style, and we got to be friends - at which point he said I should play (as goalie) with their league next season. Fast forward to the other week, and I got confirmation from the new President that I’m in as one of the 6 goalies. I’m thrilled about this, as I have a lot of dads that I have coached with and/or played with and/or coached their sons that play in this league (and they all said “you should play with us!!”)

Website is a bit out of date, but gives you a flavour of what they’re about - and at my age/stage of my life, this is exactly what I’m looking for!

https://ngmhl.ca/index.php/the-ngmhl

NGMHL: ”Beer Beauts Since 1971”

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Well I never said it was a GOOD or ACCURATE impersonator- lol!

So you’re saying you got coaching beyond “just stop the damned puck”…? Lucky!

Personally, I have never had a goalie coach, or even a hockey coach. As a kid I read every goalie related book that I could find and there weren't many. The key tenets were to remain standing and do not wander from your net.

12 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Personally, I have never had a goalie coach, or even a hockey coach. As a kid I read every goalie related book that I could find and there weren't many. The key tenets were to remain standing and do not wander from your net.

There was an interesting anecdote about when Gump Worsley came to Montreal, and how he was excited to meet Toe Blake, who would undoubtedly (in his telling) have great insights and tips for him as goalie. Paraphrasing, but I think it amounted to Blake saying “What the hell do I know about it? Just stop the puck”.

To be certain, the “stay on your feet” advice was for self preservation/injury prevention as much as it was about effective puck stopping (if not more so). It’s been such a fascinating history and evolution of the position!

I’m aware of Plante’s book, but what others do you recall reading? 🙂

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

There was an interesting anecdote about when Gump Worsley came to Montreal, and how he was excited to meet Toe Blake, who would undoubtedly (in his telling) have great insights and tips for him as goalie. Paraphrasing, but I think it amounted to Blake saying “What the hell do I know about it? Just stop the puck”.

To be certain, the “stay on your feet” advice was for self preservation/injury prevention as much as it was about effective puck stopping (if not more so). It’s been such a fascinating history and evolution of the position!

I’m aware of Plante’s book, but what others do you recall reading? 🙂

Later on, when technology was at its zenith, I picked up a Betamax video of Denis Herron explaining how to play the angles.

• Haha 1

Early Spring I weighed in at 290 lbs. Today I'm 215. I won a mountain bike race last week. Last time I raced was the year 2000. So I entered the lowest class and managed to outride the rest of the people.

Sizzler Race Picture - 06AUG23.jpg

Edited by MTH
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

@ThatCarGuy

I saw your Mach set for sale.  How'd you like that modified nylon wrist strap with the slider?  I assume you were struggling with the feeling that the glove was gonna fly off.....did that help?

Helped tons and got rid of the hassle of having to undo the velcro every time I put the glove on due to how tight I wore that strap. I would've preferred the buckle face the other direction but having it face this way meant I could still use the nylon strap with either loop. For those wondering

20230616_104308.thumb.jpg.eccbb4bb9b4da4fbe0e29cfeb502de4c.jpg

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

I need to do something similar,  I can't get it tight enough and late in games I swear it feels like it's gonna fly off.  It actually did come off the other day just covering a puck.

I crank the stock strap down so tight it pulls the padding through the loop.

20230816_172953.jpg

7 hours ago, seagoal said:

I need to do something similar,  I can't get it tight enough and late in games I swear it feels like it's gonna fly off.  It actually did come off the other day just covering a puck.

I crank the stock strap down so tight it pulls the padding through the loop.

20230816_172953.jpg

Yup that's what mine did too so I sewed the nylon a little farther back on the padding that way the padding and loop could overlap more