Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 4:46 PM, jerd31 said:

Anyone still using an old school combo?  I have a SK2000/SM-90 combo that I refurbished years ago and is in great shape and I’m thinking about busting it out for the occasional beer league game.  

Nice. I retired all of mine. Someone will take that off your hands for sure. 

I went to a Sportmask Mage years ago and never looked back.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I’ll throw this in here…

I’ve ended up with my Dad’s old gloves, which are in very good condition. He’ll never use them again, as the stroke he had - along with the diabetes - has fucked him up pretty good. 
I have always hated these gloves, and everything about them. Even back in the day, I thought they looked like shit, and they feel terrible (the actually hurt my fingers!)

…and yet, as I’m cleaning up in the furnace room/family hockey gear HQ, I can’t get rid of them - even though I don’t know what I’m keeping them for.

2D71FC4F-084E-4EC7-B1F1-CA1492FF7AB6.jpeg

686D6D75-EDA0-4896-800C-D50780936CFD.jpeg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I’ve ended up with my Dad’s old gloves, which are in very good condition. He’ll never use them again, as the stroke he had - along with the diabetes - has fucked him up pretty good. 
I have always hated these gloves, and everything about them. Even back in the day, I thought they looked like shit, and they feel terrible (the actually hurt my fingers!)

…and yet, as I’m cleaning up in the furnace room/family hockey gear HQ, I can’t get rid of them - even though I don’t know what I’m keeping them for.

Sure helps that they're made by the best name in sports. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 2:56 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

@Lucky Pucker - sorry to hear about your dad's troubles. As a guy with a pops who's struggled with diabetes and renal failure for a number of years (he did just receive a transplant so fingers crossed) - I can relate a little bit. Also can relate to "I can’t get rid of them - even though I don’t know what I’m keeping them for" as I have a whole basement area with equipment that bears the same burden (though admittedly none of it has the level of sentimental value these gloves may have to you).

Definitely seems apropos to have them hung to admire.

• Thanks 1

They are a classic glove. I hear you with the pain when using them. But these were from the times when gloves had to be broken in. Today all gloves are pretty much game ready. Those look almost new. The SC Pro were top of the line. Lots of leather and made in Canada. Gems.

Hanging them like that looks killer too.

Hopefully your dad improves. Getting old sucks.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 5:07 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

Another rough day in the “family member’s gear” category, as I finally posted my daughter’s goalie gear on Kijiji - almost a full season after she said she was done with hockey.

Definitely one of the harder hockey moments in my life 

AC5899CD-D460-4515-88ED-649F47A0B90D.jpeg

Sold and picked up yesterday, after being up for only two days. 

The guy who bought them was great - not a goalie himself, but played hockey his whole life, and all his closest hockey friends are goalies. He also coaches his son, who wants to play goalie (which the Dad is super excited about, and wants to give him the best possible experience- unlike most wet-blanket parents who want to discourage it).

While he only needed the blocker and trapper, he bought the bundle for his hockey association (which, like most associations, has woefully outdated goalie gear to loan out to aspiring goalies who are drawn to the position from watching the big names in the NHL, only to be given the gear that would have been worn by goalies 20-25 years ago…)

Anyway, was very happy to have the stuff go to what seemed like a great guy who is trying to do good for his kid, and his kid’s hockey club. There are still some good people out there 🙂

• Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 5:07 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

Another rough day in the “family member’s gear” category, as I finally posted my daughter’s goalie gear on Kijiji - almost a full season after she said she was done with hockey.

Definitely one of the harder hockey moments in my life 

I sold my son's gear after it collected dust for a few years. It is better to not have it there reminding you that they used to play - personally.

It's weird that the last time they used it, it was just another day playing and they put it away. No proper send off.

I unearthed a ton of plastic army men in my yard recently. My now 16 year old kid would always play with them. It made me sad to think that he was playing one day as usual and left them there. A day quickly turned into years. The Toy Story movies really captured that feeling of when kids stop playing with things. 

Love those gloves ... we had a pair of older than those Coopers. They were this ugly gold, bronze weird color. So big ... they went half way up the forearm. 

Went and found a picture of what they looked like. Maybe these are them! The asking price for these is $110 ...  dang didn't know what we had. 

images.jpeg.jpg.5b815704ca5debd5d1f46ed39078c266.jpg

Edited by Scythe
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heavy post here:

My wife of 19 years is divorcing me. We're 46. Started dating when we were 16. 2 kids, house, dogs, carnival fish, etc.

I knew something was up in January. She really tuned me out when we were together. Seemed way distant. Late February she told me she wanted a divorce and didn't love me anymore.

I got a letter from her lawyer earlier this month saying we were going to have an 'amicable divorce settlement'. Her lawyer said she'd send something to me.

Been sleeping in separate rooms. Until this weekend, for the most part, we were respectful of each other. Unfortunately she was mad I told a mutual friend what was occurring and recently shut me off. She went to a work event this past Saturday night and stayed at a hotel. She's in the Coast Guard and it was the CG annual ball. It was about 2 hours away. I knew she was going with 'friends' and all, but she never told me where she was staying and all. Sunday she came home and pretty much didn't say anything.

It's beyond brutal. Her reasons for leaving were pretty petty. She always tells people she's a 'lone wolf' and all. She told me I didn't appreciate her enough and rattled off small things from the past 20 years that were her reason to not love me anymore. Things like one time she called me around 7 years ago and I put her call to voicemail (I was running a meeting). Yeah, one time.

Obviously she's got something going on. I'm not sure that I want to even know. I assume the worst and hope for the best - but my money is on worst.

Should I hire a lawyer? Just walking in the door I'm out $5k. I was figuring I'd see what she's proposing and go from there. If it's workable between me and her, I'd just have her lawyer handle it. If not, I'd hire.

This sucks.

1 minute ago, MTH said:

Thanks. I know. The hard part is that I'd rather put the $5k to my kid's truck he wants.

While the idea of spending that on lawyers is fucking balls, there's only really one crack at this whole procedure and I'd be happier knowing I took precautions over being fast and loose. 

I've seen amicable divorces and I've seen divorces where, despite the person saying they were going to be nice and fair, things get ugly. 

• Like 2