Skate sharpening thread

RichMan

Didn't find a specific thread so I'm starting this one.

I found an interesting pic detailing the different sharpenings and blades. I'm guessing they are forwards examples, but maybe the same goes for goalie skates, especially the new trend.

Don't know much about the different cuts one can get as I usually just go for the standard. Hopefully I can learn more as I read your comments.

Skate-Sharpening_03.png

The FBV and the like I have found are really nice for the goalie as they offer a good, sharp edge, but still allow glide, especially across the crease. 

I used to use a 1/2” inside, 5/8” outside equivalent in a FBV relative called A-trap, also made by Blackstone. I WISH I could get a similar hollow on my Sparx machine. It is virtually impossible for that on a Sparx machine for many reasons...

I use a 5/8” Fire (Sparx FBV equivalent) wheel on my skates in the Sparx, and I am not missing my A-Trap hollow. 

I usually offer 1/2” to customers on player skates and 5/8” to goalies.

Edited by bunnyman666

7 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

I kinda want my skates sharpened but i don't trust any places in my country to know how to do goalie skates, as i'm scared they will make them too sharp.

That sounds like too deep of a hollow. 

5/8” is a good, shallow hollow for a goal skate. I don’t know what that is in mm, nor do I know if they use mm for hollows. 

I would ask for the shallowest hollow.

I use a 3/4 hollow from a blackstone machine, it’s a pretty shallow hollow but with the attach angle I get with my 1s skates if find it perfect for my style of play. I usually get my skates sharpened ever 6-8 icetimes (2-3 weeks) my local store is super consistent and very meticulous with their skate sharpening, it takes a few more mins that sport chek or other crappy places but it’s worth it. 

27 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

i need you all to chime in here. I'm super interested in trying an FBV but I don't know where to start. I go with 5/8 standard right now.

90/75 or 90/1 for FBV would be the equivalent of 5/8. Although I've never had an issue on my player skates, the FBV edge is a bit more fragile than a regular hollow. I worry that if you scrap it on a post that it would wipe out that part of the edge.

With my new 1X skates I'm currently back at a 1/2. Having not played in a while, I wanted a little less resistance to ease my groin back into things. I was doing 3/8ths, but being 6'2''/200, when I'm not in good enough shape it's taxing as hell for footwork since I'm really digging in. Especially since the ice surfaces I play on tend to be shoddy and softer.

Edited by Moose75

45 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Thanks for the reply Moose. So with an FBV is it safe to assume that you get a little more blade edge contact for pushes while also allowing shuffles and such to be smoother?

From having it used it for a few months on player skates, I'd say it still feels like that familiar edge, but when you're turning there's much less resistance. If anything I see the FBV edge making it less taxing and easier to get around. I'll have to try on my goalie skates some time too.

11 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Thanks for the reply Moose. So with an FBV is it safe to assume that you get a little more blade edge contact for pushes while also allowing shuffles and such to be smoother?

I'm on a 100/75 FBV, came from a regular 3/8 cut.

I'd say shuffles are slightly less grippy.  C-Cuts feel a little swifter/easier.  The biggest difference I see is when I'm chasing a dump in, I have much more speed in getting to loose pucks. 

Less resistance with pivots, too - but how much is hard to say as I changed to a FBV the same day I got my skates profiled.

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I'm on a 100/75 FBV, came from a regular 3/8 cut.

I'd say shuffles are slightly less grippy.  C-Cuts feel a little swifter/easier.  The biggest difference I see is when I'm chasing a dump in, I have much more speed in getting to loose pucks. 

Less resistance with pivots, too - but how much is hard to say as I changed to a FBV the same day I got my skates profiled.

Was your regular cut 3/8 on 3mm blade or 4 mm? I use exactly same on 3 mm blade and I´m am curious, what this means in other methods. Thanks.

On 12/4/2017 at 7:43 AM, mik said:

Was your regular cut 3/8 on 3mm blade or 4 mm? I use exactly same on 3 mm blade and I´m am curious, what this means in other methods. Thanks.

I believe my 3/8 cut was on 4mm. I remember trying to put a FBV on them and the sharpener couldn’t get a good enough edge on them. I suggested the wheel they have for the FBV was probably for 3mm wide player skates and I almost saw a light bulb go off for them. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I believe my 3/8 cut was on 4mm. I remember trying to put a FBV on them and the sharpener couldn’t get a good enough edge on them. I suggested the wheel they have for the FBV was probably for 3mm wide player skates and I almost saw a light bulb go off for them. 

I have been using FBV and its relative, A-Trap on 4mm skates for years. I run a 5/8” Fire (Sparx’s FBV equivalent) on my Vaughn steel perfectly. 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I used a 1/2" on 4mm but after some trial and error down to a 3/8" on 3mm... haven't ever tried FBV.

The best way to describe is the glide of the next hollow shallower with extra bite. It is correct that post banging will destroy that area of your blade. Inam fine with it, myself!

35 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I've been on Sparx 1/2" for a long time, but I got two free Sparx rings so I ordered my normal 1/2" but also a 3/8" to try it out. 

@IPv6Freely what piece of technology don't you employ?? I mean that as a compliment. No matter the subject, you seem to have used or are using whatever is being discussed.

Also, on you latest video I noticed the VH skates... what holder did you go with and what size steel? 

8 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

@IPv6Freely what piece of technology don't you employ?? I mean that as a compliment. No matter the subject, you seem to have used or are using whatever is being discussed.

Also, on you latest video I noticed the VH skates... what holder did you go with and what size steel? 

I was an early Kickstarter backer for the Sparx. One of the best purchases I've ever made!

The VH are almost three years old now, I believe. It's a pair of black Bauer One80 (no vertexx cutout) holders from a pro return pair of Reactor 6000 skates. 4mm step black steel.  

Planning on going to a 2-piece True skate with step holders sometime in the next year, but my VH are still fantastic so no real reason to upgrade yet.

EDIT: Just looked. I've had them since July 1, 2015. 

I'm a 5/8 guy, but I also get my skates sharpened once, maybe twice a year. I don't know what it is, but I hate sharp skates, and find them difficult to move around in. I have way better movement and control when my skates are fairly dull. Not based off of any theories or notions, just a personal preference that I've developed over the years.