It's Not Always the Gear...

CJ Boiss

... but sometimes it definitely is.

I just replaced my Bauer S190s (4mm Step Steel) with a pair of CCM Super Tacks AS1s (stock steel), and I am in love with them. First off, they are way more comfortable, it's a night and day difference. I'm using the same Superfeet footbeds I had in my S190s, so that's constant, but the AS1s fit my foot so well; I feel like I could wear them all day without any problems.

Second is the performance. I've had three ice-times on my AS1s, and while I spent most of the first skate getting used to the different shape of the boot (the AS1s are noticeably more rounded on the heel and toe than the S190s; I'm used to dragging my heel and digging into the ice with the back of my blade to stop my momentum on cross-grain movements, which is a bad habit I should break anyways), I played great at my second and third ice-times. Shuffling around the top of my crease is easier, I'm able to hold my feet longer when a skater is coming down on me, the level of control I have over my movements is much, much better. I'm definitely closer to the ice, and my attack angle is consequently slightly worse, but I don't feel like I need that extra angle when I'm moving around, setting for a shot, or making a save. Standing up is also much easier, because my inside edges aren't catching and dragging on the ice nearly as much. I also tend to drive my toes and heels into the ice quite hard when I'm butterflied, so the more rounded boot means I'm sliding across the ice more quickly.

Yeah, my S190s are kinda old, but even when they were brand new they never felt like this. I've got another two skates tomorrow and I'm properly excited to put my AS1s back on. It's wild.

Anyone else have a "it was definitely the gear" moment that stands out for them?

• Like 2

I'm talking less about gear that doesn't fit, or is uncomfortable, and more about gear that just... works differently. My S190s aren't "bad" skates, and while they aren't as comfortable as my AS1s I can wear them for two or three skates a day without issue, but my AS1s feel and play differently. In a way that, I feel, has immediately improved my game.

Kinda like how some goalies love or hate particular glove breaks. A glove can be perfectly sized and comfortable when you're wearing it, but how it plays is another matter entirely.

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

... but sometimes it definitely is.

I just replaced my Bauer S190s (4mm Step Steel) with a pair of CCM Super Tacks AS1s (stock steel), and I am in love with them. First off, they are way more comfortable, it's a night and day difference. I'm using the same Superfeet footbeds I had in my S190s, so that's constant, but the AS1s fit my foot so well; I feel like I could wear them all day without any problems.

Second is the performance. I've had three ice-times on my AS1s, and while I spent most of the first skate getting used to the different shape of the boot (the AS1s are noticeably more rounded on the heel and toe than the S190s; I'm used to dragging my heel and digging into the ice with the back of my blade to stop my momentum on cross-grain movements, which is a bad habit I should break anyways), I played great at my second and third ice-times. Shuffling around the top of my crease is easier, I'm able to hold my feet longer when a skater is coming down on me, the level of control I have over my movements is much, much better. I'm definitely closer to the ice, and my attack angle is consequently slightly worse, but I don't feel like I need that extra angle when I'm moving around, setting for a shot, or making a save. Standing up is also much easier, because my inside edges aren't catching and dragging on the ice nearly as much. I also tend to drive my toes and heels into the ice quite hard when I'm butterflied, so the more rounded boot means I'm sliding across the ice more quickly.

Yeah, my S190s are kinda old, but even when they were brand new they never felt like this. I've got another two skates tomorrow and I'm properly excited to put my AS1s back on. It's wild.

Anyone else have a "it was definitely the gear" moment that stands out for them?

Skates for me as well. 

When I got out of my Graf 7500s and into True, I couldn't wait for my next skate session.  Comfort was and continues to be a very important thing for me. The Grafs would pinch around the ball of my foot during certain movements, even after numerous bakings and boot punches.  I think I'd hit a nerve or something as there would be a shock sensation going up my entire leg if I moved a certain way.  It got to a point where I subconsciously started to move very gingerly around the crease and would set up/transition/plant off the heel of my boot instead of using more of my forefoot.  We're two years out and I'm still trying to fix some of these muscle memory compensations

Yup, I can relate. In the mid 1980's I got a Greg Harrison combo mask. Before that I had worn every conceivable type of helmet/cage, solid fibreglass Jacques Plante Fibrosport, baseball catcher's mask and a whole bunch more that I have intentionally forgotten.

A custom made Harrison was definitely the cat's ass and may still be. I continue to wear mine to this day and never have worried about getting cut, knocked cold or feared losing my good looks due to a facial injury. At 71 I may not stop as many shots but have zero apprehension about facing a shooter thanks to a well made, proper fitting goal mask.

"It is definitely the gear."

C17E4102-1BC3-4F7E-B839-4ABF93D7C295_1_105_c.jpeg

2008-10-30-1013-23.jpeg

2009-02-11-1721-07.jpeg

8C7F9545-2278-4DA9-92A2-403F2979E770_1_201_a.jpeg

46A41F2C-7F48-4B6C-B24D-BDA4327DBDE7_1_201_a.jpeg

71F7F461-52DF-40AE-AD8A-4BD24B00A0A0.jpeg

C00E27CC-F03D-4AD0-8574-3426208933C6_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

Yup, I can relate. In the mid 1980's I got a Greg Harrison combo mask. Before that I had worn every conceivable type of helmet/cage, solid fibreglass Jacques Plante Fibrosport, baseball catcher's mask and a whole bunch more that I have intentionally forgotten.

A custom made Harrison was definitely the cat's ass and may still be. I continue to wear mine to this day and never have worried about getting cut, knocked cold or feared losing my good looks due to a facial injury. At 71 I may not stop as many shots but have zero apprehension about facing a shooter thanks to a well made, proper fitting goal mask.

2008-10-30-1013-23.jpeg

2009-02-11-1721-07.jpeg

If it don’ts fits, it be’s shit!!!

I think that with how gear has evolved, it had better be close. I know I am preaching to the choir in your case!

Sorry. Old guy joke. Garth Snow played decades ago and was one of the first goalies in the NHL to take advantage of the NHL's then non-existent gear size limits.

There was a playoff run where he was accused of using wood under his jersey to enhance his shoulder space (see picture).

http://www.crossingbroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Voila_Capture-2014-11-20_04-41-00_PM1.jpg

There wasn't a pad height limit... so order big pads. Still too short? Add some more on top...

Amazon.com: 2003-04 In The Game Action Hockey #338 Garth Snow New York  Islanders: Collectibles & Fine Art

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MTH said:

Sorry. Old guy joke. Garth Snow played decades ago and was one of the first goalies in the NHL to take advantage of the NHL's then non-existent gear size limits.

There was a playoff run where he was accused of using wood under his jersey to enhance his shoulder space (see picture).

http://www.crossingbroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Voila_Capture-2014-11-20_04-41-00_PM1.jpg

There wasn't a pad height limit... so order big pads. Still too short? Add some more on top...

Amazon.com: 2003-04 In The Game Action Hockey #338 Garth Snow New York  Islanders: Collectibles & Fine Art

Esposito did get his pads close to 16” wide. But Snow 100% went way too far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I can't be the only one who feels more comfortable in a tighter jersey right?

Nothing is worse then when you join a team and they give you the goalie jersey that just bellows out like a mumu.

For most of my hockey life there was no such thing as a Goalie Cut size. One learned to live with a tight jersey that hung to the knees (XL, even XXL). I have come to like a size 58GC, loose fitting without the skirt look.

On 7/3/2021 at 6:24 PM, Wonder35 said:

2008-10-30-1013-23.jpeg

2009-02-11-1721-07.jpeg

Love these masks, man. All are beauties.

I had a few huge "oh, it was my gear that sucked" moments:

• Getting skates that finally really fit and worked. When I got my Bauer 2Xs it was an epiphany, I could finally fully bite the blade on the ice in pushes and do all the movements I wanted to do so much easier. On top of that, I no longer had my feet go numb, no longer had to curl my toes, and all that other garbage I have had over the years.
    • Side note that I learned to butterfly push in Vaughn Visions and Bauer Flo-fits. That was a hell of a time being that kid at camp.
  • Getting a mask that fit and was good! Always had either hand-me-downs or the Itech Widowmaker. I got my 960, fine-tuned the hell out of it, then took a shot to the face and nothing, it was fine.
On 7/6/2021 at 9:55 PM, Wonder35 said:

For most of my hockey life there was no such thing as a Goalie Cut size. One learned to live with a tight jersey that hung to the knees (XL, even XXL). I have come to like a size 58GC, loose fitting without the skirt look.

Every jersey I've been given for adult league has been a 4XL because "that's the only goalie cut size." Dude, I'm 5'8", this is a kimono/parachute, please. This is my conspiracy theory, there's only one manufacturing supplier and that's the size they make.

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Nothing is worse then when you join a team and they give you the goalie jersey that just bellows out like a mumu.

I had a strong hatred of the old CCM goalie cuts with the wizard sleeves. 

The sleeves were too wide and short.  Wrist opening was like a foot wide, armpits were more like two feet

Also notice Ozzie had some additional padding outside the hip...

image.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

The sleeves were too wide and short.  Wrist opening was like a foot wide, armpits were more like two feet

Couldn't agree more on the jersey cut... I cringed when I saw that picture. 😱

15 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I like the mumu.  Feels so....free.

giphy.gif.9bce1f417326770ed69ba8af298772da.gif

12 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

I have a practice jersey from a goalie camp I attended to years ago. I have no idea what size it is, but it fits nice and snug and doesn't go past my hips.

It's too bad the tag is all washed out.

12 hours ago, keeperton said:

Every jersey I've been given for adult league has been a 4XL because "that's the only goalie cut size." Dude, I'm 5'8", this is a kimono/parachute, please. This is my conspiracy theory, there's only one manufacturing supplier and that's the size they make.

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Yea, I think the generic 4XL jerseys and not specific goalie cut ones are what I'm talking about. There's a difference between big and tailored and just big.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:07 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Currently I (mostly) wear an old jersey I received from a goalie camp in 2005 and It's my favourite jersey that fits like a glove, as oppose to these modern jersey's you can buy at the store or wherever the beer league team gets it. It just doesn't feel the same. 

• Like 1