2022 Bauer Mystery Skate - Konekt Goalie Skate

TheGoalNet

On 10/13/2022 at 10:25 PM, Rogie said:

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been away and unable to capture a photo until now. Here you go. I had a ski shop technician drill out the bolt holding the rail and replace it with a longer rail held in by a removable screw. Totally routine workfor ski shops. Completely foreign to skate shops. 

The photo shows the two rails side by side so you can see the difference in length, but only the longer one on the right is attached to the boot.

Where did you get the new rail? Are they something a ski shop would have lying around? Are they pretty much universal?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 10:06 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Where did you get the new rail? Are they something a ski shop would have lying around? Are they pretty much universal?

I'd imagine they'd have a ton of options on hand. 

I just did a quick search and found these:

https://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/product/brands/tecnica/tecnica-spares/universal-ski-boot-tooth-catches/

https://www.pinewskis.com/shop/Ski/Ski-Boots/Ski-Boot-Parts/p/Lange-Complete-Boot-Catches-44-Pieces-x63867713.htm

https://www.pinewskis.com/shop/Ski/Ski-Boots/Ski-Boot-Parts/p/Full-Tilt-Buckle-Racks-x32771891.htm

I'd assume that a shop would have a better selection and knowledge of these than my quick google-fu, but it seems like these are easily obtained. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'd imagine they'd have a ton of options on hand. 

I just did a quick search and found these:

https://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/product/brands/tecnica/tecnica-spares/universal-ski-boot-tooth-catches/

https://www.pinewskis.com/shop/Ski/Ski-Boots/Ski-Boot-Parts/p/Lange-Complete-Boot-Catches-44-Pieces-x63867713.htm

https://www.pinewskis.com/shop/Ski/Ski-Boots/Ski-Boot-Parts/p/Full-Tilt-Buckle-Racks-x32771891.htm

I'd assume that a shop would have a better selection and knowledge of these than my quick google-fu, but it seems like these are easily obtained. 

My LHS has a box full of stick end caps where you can just take some. I was imagining/hoping that these would be treated in a similar fashion at a ski shop. But the more that I think about it, I realize how dumb I am.

I'm really waffling on pulling the trigger on getting a pair of these. Could anyone give me a strong enough opinion on whether they think they're worth it over going custom Bauer skates?

I wear a 7D Bauer 2X Pro right now. They are great skates and have held up incredibly well considering I'm on the ice roughly 4 times a week (anywhere between 3 and 8 games a week, and I coach). My feet have started to hurt, specifically in the left arch, and while it isn't unbearable it's had me thinking of new skates for around half a year now.

Konekt Skate Review after 3 months of use.

Growing up I always struggled with skates. I would usually suffer through using smaller skates as the performance was best (great heel lock) but would also kill my toes. Fast forward to now, my foot is done growing and the skates I had performed well but still gave discomfort to my toes because they were 6Ds and hockey size is a 7D.

After selling my old skates, I saw Bauer Konekt as a great investment because I liked the idea of custom features at retail along with a consistent fitting because of the new use of ski buckles. Custom skates were definitely an option I was considering, but I liked that I could get a similar product in one day. I decided to get Bauer Konekt as soon as they dropped. 

At the store, I tried on a 7D. This is because this is the smallest skate size they make. Luckily, they fit great (I was worried I may be closer to size 6.5D and they would feel big). From there I purchased the skates before baking (yes, you have to buy before baking if there was confusion regarding that). During the baking process, they felt great, but I found strap above the ankle to be looser than I expected.

Leaving the store I was excited and worried as to the tightness above the ankle. Some videos I have seen have talked about wanting this area looser than we would typically do with a laced skate. I disagree, as the goal of Konekt was to get fit above the ankle very tight and allow the skate to utilize the built in flex. If the upper strap is already loose then the flex hinge will not be utilized to what was intended by Bauer.

Back at home my skate madness went into full effect. I tried the skates on more, and realized my heel lock was compromised due to the above the ankle strap not being tight enough. At this point the skate strap was as tight as Bauer would allow me. I reached out to a Bauer rep and they basically said there was nothing I could do to increase the tightness.

I had already purchased the skates, and besides the tightness issue the skates felt great, especially in the instep area of my foot. for the instep strap, I barely do it up, and rely on the top strap providing the heel lock and support. However, because my upper strap was not tight enough, I had to come up with a solution.

My first idea was to drill a new hole in the upper strap to move the buckle over more (equaling a tighter fit). However, I was afraid of voiding my warranty and the Bauer rep warned against that haha. My next idea was to use high density foam or something that I could sandwich between where the strap and skate contact to create a tight fit. By sandwiching something in between, tightness could also be achieved. Unfortunately, I was not trying to buy HD foam or looking to destroy old gear for this hack. My last idea, and much simpler, was to wrap the hell out of the upper strap with hockey tape. The downside to this was making the skates look more hideous than they already are haha, especially because all I had was white tape on a black/gray skate.

Luckily, my hockey tape hack worked. I  achieved my goal of increasing tightness above the ankle. The performance was incredible out of the skate. I have never had a skate with both great comfort and great performance. Although I have never owned custom skates, there are other features that separate this skate from custom options. The first is the ankle flex, which has improved my deep stance. My teammates noticed it as well, where I can hold my ground for longer before butterflying for breakaways or in close shots. Some say this can be achieved through not lacing the last eyelet on a laced skate, but I always found that decreasing my heel lock.

My skates have been used for 3 months and I seriously have no complaints after performing my hack. The truth is it seems like not that many others have suffered the same issues with above ankle tightness (I guess I got tiny thin ankles). One thing to note is the hockey tape has degraded after 3 months of water and sweat, causing some issue with getting my buckle actually done up. Because of this I was planning on removing the old tape and repeating the process. Three months of this hack have not caused any damage to the skate whatsoever.

However, at this point I knew I loved the skates and planned on using them for as long as they last. I decided to try drilling a new hole so that the buckle could be moved over and make the ankle tighter. After removing the tape, I drilled a new hole in each skate strap and moved the buckle over. I tried the skate on with my hockey skate socks post hack to see if the tightness felt similar to my hockey tape hack. I honestly could not tell a difference but we will see after my first skate with this new hack. Drilling new holes does not compromise the strength of the strap at all (it has to be strong material because of the stretching force being applied to it during use) but it may void the warranty; however, it seems the only warranties are for the instep strap and buckle. If I still need it tighter after my first practice, I will probably use a combination of the new drilled hole and hockey tape hack.

In conclusion, I highly recommend these skates for utility, performance, and comfort. I love getting my skates on in 5 minutes and they immediately feel great. Before, my skate madness had me wasting 10-15 minutes on getting my laced skates tied up to where performance was good (skates would feel slightly uncomfortable). For performance, some say pushes are less powerful because plastic creates more energy loss than composite. I have even heard some say the hinge flex decreases t-push energy. This may be true but I doubt any will notice; we have also seen a sort of 180 where NHL goalies went from the stiff True one-piece to now giving the flexible Bauer Konekt a go so take that for what it is. As said earlier, my crease movement has improved as I hold my edges longer before butterflying. Lastly, comfort has been incredible for me. I know some with wider feet have had comfort issues. Personally, these have never caused discomfort and I like the lack of any lace bite. The stock footbed is whatever but it is molded well to my foot and comfortable. I tried the skates early on with Superfeet and they felt less comfortable so I suggest against that.

Some future plans (probably next summer) I have for these skates. Upgrade the steel to Bauer's more premium options and possibly use Bauer's speedplates for new footbeds. I will probably also rebake them around this time and may replace the inner skate liner if it begins to show high wear.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer. 

Edited by TrojanGoalie
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

To anyone that’s had to replace the lower buckle does the clip part screw all the way out? So far I’ve not had the issiue, but I’m trying to source a spare part from a retailer in the UK just in case and they seem pretty adamant that the whole buckle has to be replaced. 
Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Cass said:

To anyone that’s had to replace the lower buckle does the clip part screw all the way out? So far I’ve not had the issiue, but I’m trying to source a spare part from a retailer in the UK just in case and they seem pretty adamant that the whole buckle has to be replaced. 
Thanks in advance. 

The clip unscrews - see my post in the other Konekt thread -

1 hour ago, Cass said:

Thanks in advance. 

2 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

The clip unscrews - see my post in the other Konekt thread -

Anyone know if there exists a loop piece that is compatible but shorter in length? I was thinking that might be another good option for those of us who are looking to tighten the ankle strap down more than stock.

10 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Anyone know if there exists a loop piece that is compatible but shorter in length? I was thinking that might be another good option for those of us who are looking to tighten the ankle strap down more than stock.

Drilling an extra hole for the catch has worked pretty well for me

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yeah, I'm getting close to taking that step.

I just took this step and no complaints. Feels the same as my stick tape hack. I am sure that Bauer will make aftermarket parts in the coming years if Konekt is here to stay... but for the moment drilling the hole is the best way to get a tighter fit above ankle. These aftermarket parts will only be available if Bauer allows the bolts to be removable. Currently, the top buckle is not removable. Besides the hinge, I am hoping future models will include removable screws and make the customizing a lot better. I also hope Bauer understands that some users need a tighter fit and provide a way to solve this (even Bauer adding the extra hole on the strap would suffice).

7 minutes ago, TrojanGoalie said:

I just took this step and no complaints. Feels the same as my stick tape hack. I am sure that Bauer will make aftermarket parts in the coming years if Konekt is here to stay... but for the moment drilling the hole is the best way to get a tighter fit above ankle. These aftermarket parts will only be available if Bauer allows the bolts to be removable. Currently, the top buckle is not removable. Besides the hinge, I am hoping future models will include removable screws and make the customizing a lot better. I also hope Bauer understands that some users need a tighter fit and provide a way to solve this (even Bauer adding the extra hole on the strap would suffice).

Do you have a photo showing how you did the mod by any chance?

On 9/7/2022 at 8:44 AM, Puckstopper said:

I'm also interested in hearing how those with 4E+ feet are doing with these.   So far, True has been my only option to get the width I need. 

Im an off the charts 8 4E+ and Ive now given up on these skates. 

My custom skate size is about a 7.75 EEEE in a custom bauer, I also have a very flat foot with almost no arch

The shop had me try a size 8 as well as a size 9, went with the 8 since the 9 felt loose front to back even without baking.

Ive had my skates baked a couple times but I just cant get rid of foot pain on my arch/side of foot.  Just cant get the size 8 boot wide enough to fit my hobbit feet.  I love the ankle flex these provide but have gone back to my custom bauers/Trues and now appreciate how comfortable they are

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

Gross, that pretty much describes my feet.   Between that and Bauer finally catching on to that fact that I don't work for Peranis anymore and rescinding my Bauer U discount, I'm going to stick with my Trues.

How long did it take them to notice? I only work at Monkey over the summers each year.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:25 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

Do you have a photo showing how you did the mod by any chance?

I do not have a photo but will tell you my process.

Need:

Sharpie, preferably silver (something you can see because the strap is black).

Drill with multiple size drill bits. I do not remember what size drill bits I used but enough so that the bolt that attaches the buckle could pass through.

Step 1: Mark the hole for drilling.

I did this by taking the buckle and sliding it over to match up with the last hole Bauer gives you on the strap. Next, take your sharpie and mark where the second buckle hole matches up on the strap. You should now see a mark to where you should drill.

Step 2: Drill with Smaller Drill Bit

I started with smaller drill bit so that I could get an initial hole. To get a solid drill, I recommend laying the strap on a flat stable surface that will not get damaged from drilling (I just put my strap on concrete and  made sure not to ruin my drill bit).

Step 3: Drill with Larger Drill Bit

Be careful on the drill bit that you choose. You do not want to go too big because then the screw will move around. Go smaller than you think because you can always drill the hole bigger. I proceeded to drill and try to shave the hole bigger. I did this until the bolt could fit through snuggly.

Step 4: Repeat on other skate.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TrojanGoalie

On 11/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, kudot said:

My custom skate size is about a 7.75 EEEE in a custom bauer, I also have a very flat foot with almost no arch

The shop had me try a size 8 as well as a size 9, went with the 8 since the 9 felt loose front to back even without baking.

Ive had my skates baked a couple times but I just cant get rid of foot pain on my arch/side of foot.  Just cant get the size 8 boot wide enough to fit my hobbit feet.  I love the ankle flex these provide but have gone back to my custom bauers/Trues and now appreciate how comfortable they are

I'm going to be honest with you, with feet that wide these were never going to fit you. These are made for the middle 75% of goalie feet. Yours are substantially wider than that. I think you're very much better off with a custom skate.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:48 AM, kudot said:

Nothing like a custom skate my friend. Forget these. 

On 12/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, netminder said:

So, is there a Grand list of mods these skates need to make it work for the average goalie or what?

Im going to get fitted for a pair tomorrow, but reading through all the treads here and there, it seems to be at least FOUR major mods are mandatory to make these a reliable and comfortable skate going forward....

I feel like these either work or they don't. Personally, I knew that these skates weren't going to provide enough lock down above the ankle because my foot is very slim. The mod was not that difficult. I really enjoy getting my skates on in 5 minutes and the flex they give. If you have super wide or weird shaped feet, there is no other option than custom. If you have fairly average feet and want the flex/ease of putting on, get them. I understand that these were marketed as a stock custom option, but at the end of the day the foot last is made for average width feet. I do feel for those who got them thinking the new plastic material would form to their wide feet. I knew whatever issues I had with them I could remedy, but if I had width issues I would probably have to sell them. My advice would be to proceed with caution if you have pretty wide feet, based on the feedback I have seen from those who have wide feet. The skates should still feel pretty comfy before baking (that was my experience).

Is it already 2023 when we see a full line of Konekts starting from the hobby level and up? 

I have no real problems with my S29 skates except for the flex on the ankle. That I could see an improvement for me having some ankle pain at times which possibly comes from the limited ankle flex. It's not terrible so I'm not looking to spend lots of money for an experiment.

On 12/2/2022 at 4:18 PM, netminder said:

So, is there a Grand list of mods these skates need to make it work for the average goalie or what?

Im going to get fitted for a pair tomorrow, but reading through all the treads here and there, it seems to be at least FOUR major mods are mandatory to make these a reliable and comfortable skate going forward....

Like any pair of skates, it depends on your feet.

Other than playing with the buckle tightness on the lower buckle, I have done 0 mods. The more "unique" your feet are, the more likely you are to have to do some mods.

What skates are you wearing now? Do you have any issues with them and the fit?

On 12/6/2022 at 11:16 AM, netminder said:

Im in a Graf PeakSpeed Pro. They are super light, but there isnt enough outside ankle support and I starting to feel like im just wearing sloppy hightop basketball shoes. I have a pair or Ultrasonics and Konekts on order to try on side by side at home, raw.  The breakage in clips, the lack of toe toe stability across the top of the foot and the thinner profile tounge has me already thinking Konekts wont be for me.

I mean, haven't you been badmouthing them for months? Are you getting them because you think they'll work or because you want them not to work so you can post about it online?

At the end of the day, people go online that either either really disappoints, or really excited about something. You're seeing a small cross section of goalies on here but a high number of those are complaints because that's what people do when something goes wrong. What you aren't seeing is the hundreds of guys using them every week that are fine with them and have no complaints.

These skates are made for the middle 75% of feet. If you have some odd proportions it will be difficult to make these work without some adjustments. Some of the mods here are also quality of life improvements (like holding toe straps in place). In reality if they don't work for you stock, they probably aren't meant for you and you probably needed a different skate. But guys on here are excited about some of the other advantage that they're making creative adjustments to help them fit.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 9:16 AM, netminder said:

Im in a Graf PeakSpeed Pro. They are super light, but there isnt enough outside ankle support and I starting to feel like im just wearing sloppy hightop basketball shoes. I have a pair or Ultrasonics and Konekts on order to try on side by side at home, raw.  The breakage in clips, the lack of toe toe stability across the top of the foot and the thinner profile tounge has me already thinking Konekts wont be for me.

What made you decide Ultrasonics over the other skate offerings in this case? Genuinely curious and my assumption is they're cheaper than the "new" top end Bauer skate.

I'm really excited for my Konekts, especially because I wear a 7D sized Bauer normally with only some complaints (namely pain in the arch, typically because I either do the skate too loose or too tight, can't get it right in a way that lasts for an entire game). I'm hoping that I fit into that "normal footed" demographic since I'm not a wide-foot having dude.

Edited by keeperton

On 12/6/2022 at 11:16 AM, netminder said:

Have to be blunt, doesn't sound like you are going into this with an open mind?

Now that you’ve got the ultrasonics, I’ve seen the toecaps on them and the Bauer Pros obliterated in a couple instances. Konekt would have no such issue. If I were a conservative buyer willing to weigh all my options I would’ve asked my local shop’s employee if they could bake the konekts before purchase like bauer says they can. Then I would determine which fit feels better for me. 

• Like 1