2022 Bauer Mystery Skate - Konekt Goalie Skate

TheGoalNet

20 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I've seen a couple XS holders fail. Some of the lower-end player skates use different parts for the retention pin and rotating knob. The cheaper ones can seize up/get stripped/misaligned sometimes, especially if someone rotates the knob too much when taking a blade out.

Not sure if the lower-end goalie skates are using different parts for the holder. They're a little harder to sell so I don't handle them as much...

Part of the reason why I like the XSG holder - besides the flatter stance - is the availability of aftermarket steel. I can find Step Steel for the XSG readily at my LHS since CCM owns Step. I could go on the net and find some Tydan XSG steel fairly easily, if I wanted to give that a try.

If I had a Bauer holder, I don't really have a choice on aftermarket steel. New Step Steel is nearly impossible to find now for a Bauer holder. Not sure about Tydan, but I imagine it is too since Bauer has been enforced its patent.

Anyway. Skates look interesting. Bauer's been pushing the envelope with goalie gear for a while now so I'll likely pick up a pair if they fit.

The lower end XSG holder uses plastic hardware, which CAN be replaced with metal FYI

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I have used both. I currently own both. I have had zero issues with blade pop outs on my Bauer and have no issues with the system. Per my math above, I think it's a niche scenario that gets over blown.

Not trying to argue with you.   I use True skates with a Vertexx holder, so obviously I'm not overly concerned either.   I was just pointing out that if you wanted the best of all worlds (better retention and availability of Step with CCM, plus a more aggressive stance similar to Bauer) that it's available.    

Honestly, until I get the chance to try Ti Pulse, I really can't comment on current top end CCM vs Bauer steel, but I will say I'd take Step all day over the LS5G shit I'm using now. 

10 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I have had vertexx edge since day 1 and never had a pop out. I understand it happens, but I think that is honestly a 3% situation? I have well over 200 skates on Vertexx holders and never had a pop out

Think about all the NHL guys that use it. I feel like the goalie steel pop out happens 20 times a season total in the league? There are over 1,200 games played in the NHL every year. Probably 600 or more of those games feature a Vertexx edge. As you can see, worse case scenario... It works correctly 92% of the time

600 Games Played Featuring Vertexx Edge
2 Holders per game
1200 Holders used a game situation a season
50 Blade pop outs
4.17% Failure rate 

2 Holders per game
20 Blade pop outs
1.67% Failure rate 

2 Holders per game
100 Blade pop outs
8.33% Failure rate 

You mention above the puck hitting the blade squarely... can you explain that differently? Is that a common situation?

"Squarely" as in "the puck directly hits the unsharpened toe of the blade".

And I guess I just don't think any chance of this kind of blade/runner failure is acceptable, when there are runner designs which also allow you to quickly exchange blades that don't experience the same problem. It's a shoddy design, plain and simple, and it's long past time Bauer changed it.

Edited by CJ Boiss

13 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

"Squarely" as in "the puck directly hits the unsharpened toe of the blade".

And I guess I just don't think any chance of this kind of blade/runner failure is acceptable, when there are runner designs which also allow you to quickly exchange blades that don't experience the same problem. It's a shoddy design, plain and simple, and it's long past time Bauer changed it.

that's a fair opinion, like I said above. As a consumer the of holders, your main concern is the reliability of the holder.

Everyone has a different buying criteria and that's why "best" is an impossible statement

the more and more TGN stuff I do, the more and more I realize nothing is perfect.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

I am, yeah, but Beer League Joe still took my blades off several times. It's not just about the speed of the shot, but how much force transfers into the blade, and into the retention mechanism.

Simple fact is that the retention mechanism is designed badly. The blade popping out when a puck hits it shouldn't even be a possibility, no matter how hard the shot is.

I know… I’m a mechanical engineer.

When analyzing an impact, force and speed of the object are intrinsically linked because momentum is mass • velocity. Now, a good shooter will have a more stable puck, so it will reduce air friction and reach the target a higher speed.

Thing is, if the mecanism were to be stiffer, it would not be as easy to use, and too soft it wouldn’t hold the blade in.

Take into account that no two holders will end up identical because of tolerancing, you could have a slightly smaller trigger piece or a wider cavity, etc.

Not saying it’s perfect, but as I said, I have a big enough sample size to say that it works well (not perfectly).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Not trying to argue with you.   I use True skates with a Vertexx holder, so obviously I'm not overly concerned either.   I was just pointing out that if you wanted the best of all worlds (better retention and availability of Step with CCM, plus a more aggressive stance similar to Bauer) that it's available.    

Honestly, until I get the chance to try Ti Pulse, I really can't comment on current top end CCM vs Bauer steel, but I will say I'd take Step all day over the LS5G shit I'm using now. 

Pulse TI is awesome, I hit the post at least 20-30 times per games and barely any scuffing after the first sharpening. I do a 3/4" radius about once every 6-7 games, up from 3-4 with a ls5

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I am genuinely curious to how many members actually take advantage of the quick release system for it's intended purpose?

A guy on my men's league team runs the local pro shop. They are NOT open for games. He takes my steel after the game, sharpens it, and then returns it me

Also, the removable steel makes it easier for shops to sharper goalie skates. It eliminates the need for extra jigs

This is not the "intended" purpose of 2 sets of steel... but it's a small perk

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

A guy on my men's league team runs the local pro shop. They are NOT open for games. He takes my steel after the game, sharpens it, and then returns it me

Also, the removable steel makes it easier for shops to sharper goalie skates. It eliminates the need for extra jigs

This is not the "intended" purpose of 2 sets of steel... but it's a small perk

I expected that this would probably be most people's major use for it. Which isn't majorly impactful. I see the use for higher caliber players that may have equipment managers on hand for a quick steel swap out, just don't see that as us here. :P

I sharpen my skates once every 10 skates or so, so even that purpose isn't a minor benefit to me.

16 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Why not just use the true shift holder (aside from availability)?

I bought my skates several years ago, so they came with the old holder.   I tried the 4mm steel, but really preferred 3mm, so I tossed the Vertexx holders on there.    It was also prior to the XSG holder.  If that had been out I'd have gone with it for the better steel and security.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

If I hadn't recently bought the new Graf Peakspeed Pro G skates, I'd probably be willing to give these a shot. I'm still unsure of what exactly the hinging accomplishes though. 

Allows you to have some forward flex that's been removed from the new latching system.

If that wasn't there, these would be the same as ski boots.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:35 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

I am genuinely curious to how many members actually take advantage of the quick release system for it's intended purpose?

It's nice during tournament weekends to have 2 sets of blades and switch halfway through. Especially for the outdoor tournament we go to which tears up blades pretty good.   That's all I've used it for.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:45 PM, insertnamehere said:

If I hadn't recently bought the new Graf Peakspeed Pro G skates, I'd probably be willing to give these a shot. I'm still unsure of what exactly the hinging accomplishes though. 

We essentially ask a non-flexible material to flex like leather. This allows that forward flex.