Jump to content

Henrik Lundqvist #30 Retirement


seagoal
 Share

Recommended Posts

A nice, gear heavy write-up about Lundqvist, who is having his #30 retired tonight by the New York Rangers

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-henrik-lundqvist-was-one-of-a-kind-goalie/c-330252484

And more of an interview

https://www.nhl.com/news/henrik-lundqvists-no-30-to-be-retired-by-new-york/c-330209230?tid=277548856

And why not?

cut.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hank was one of those goalies that I always respected but was never a fan of on the ice.  Honestly, his gear always kinda derailed me and I could never get into it as a setup or as a look (how I feel about Bauer goalies, generally).  I liked some of his buckets just fine, but not the other stuff. 

Off the ice I always appreciated his interviews and such. He seems like such a nice guy who is easy to like.

Apparently a LOT of ladies and a fair amount of dudes REALLY like him too.....which I get but can't relate to.

He's arguably the best, if not most impactful, goalie to not win a cup, no?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Hank is frankly an ambassador for the game. I wish he could have won a Cup, but he’s an HOF-er, none the less.

I was OK with him not winning a cup.

1. I wanted LA to win anyways
2. lol SBR
3. Dude's a wicked handsome, stylish, all star athlete who's won just about everything he could. Not having one thing would be good for the ego. :giggle:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I was OK with him not winning a cup.

1. I wanted LA to win anyways
2. lol SBR
3. Dude's a wicked handsome, stylish, all star athlete who's won just about everything he could. Not having one thing would be good for the ego. :giggle:

He knows how to wear a goddamned suit, can't take that from him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great goaler; belongs in the H of F.

Like most Ranger goalies, sometimes his biggest problem was the team in front of him. Cant count the number of times, particularly in the playoffs, where he made a stop, began to the cover the puck, his teammates dug it out from him, immediately turned it over, and it ended up in the net. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did anyone catch the article where he started to use his practice palm glove in game? So stiff he could barely, if at all, close it? I believe he was described as a waiter holding a tray when he did catch the puck!

I don’t mind NYR, they’re one of those teams that I have respect for the goalie history more than the team itself, but not winning a cup aside, he has many accolades to be proud of. HoF for sure.

Edited by The Teal Terror
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Teal Terror said:

Did anyone catch the article where he started to use his practice palm glove in game? So stiff he could barely, if at all, close it? I believe he was described as a waiter holding a tray when he did catch the puck!

I don’t mind NYR, they’re one of those teams that I have respect for the goalie history more than the team itself, but not winning a cup aside, he has many accolades to be proud of. HoF for sure.

I did. It's one of the articles linked in this thread.  They also mentioned the creation of the Lundy loop on skates.  He made an impact, for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

I did. It's one of the articles linked in this thread.  They also mentioned the creation of the Lundy loop on skates.  He made an impact, for sure.

Beg your pardon, I glazed over the thread in all honesty! But, yes that boot strap loop was another. My old tandem buddy used to wear a gloves under his catch glove a la Lundy too. Extra grip he said. Less stink maybe, too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Teal Terror said:

Beg your pardon, I glazed over the thread in all honesty! But, yes that boot strap loop was another. My old tandem buddy used to wear a gloves under his catch glove a la Lundy too. Extra grip he said. Less stink maybe, too!

haha, nice. 

I have never used a Lundy loop.  I've had one now for 2 pairs of skates but I had just ditched boot straps all together by the time I had them.  I did attempt it once, but, the Vaughn boot strap I had at the time that came with my VE8 pads didn't fit through the Lundy loop on my S190s......it was just a dangling nylon loop with a very small diameter. 

But man, talk about a trend change in goalie gear, jeez.

Edited by seagoal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see the HOF being an issue. The flow of HOF worthy players will taper down. Guys don't stay dominate in the league like they used to anymore. It's a young man's game for sure. He'll be the big name on the year he's elected in.

While a good player that played a long time, he really lacks the pile of big time accolades (other than looks). Playing in NYC gave him more of a stage than most guys who played. I think the all star game nods are representative more of popularity. Also, the NHL all star game has become a circus side show of shinny.

Lunquist awards and all:

  • 1 Vezina
  • 5 time All Star
  • 6th in career wins: 459
  • 14th in losses: 310
Edited by MTH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...