bunnyman666

I used to think that a pad giving away a hot rebound was a good thing until my pads gave up a one-timer that hit me in the head! Then I had other rebounds that gave a more skilled shooter the puck to go top shelf! The bigger insult was that my water bottle also suffered a shattering as a result of the one-timer given up by the pads. 

I spec’d hot rebounds on a pad that I had ordered and lived to regret it. It was fun punting the puck to the centre red line at first, but then the shooters adapted.  My Brian’s “Lady” pads give up pretty hot rebounds, as well. Now I am a believer that a puck should die when it hits your pads, as so many goals would have preventable had I been able to smother the puck. 

Who here feels the trend of hot rebounds is good? Any testimonials?

10 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I used to think that a pad giving away a hot rebound was a good thing until my pads gave up a one-timer that hit me in the head! Then I had other rebounds that gave a more skilled shooter the puck to go top shelf! The bigger insult was that my water bottle also suffered a shattering as a result of the one-timer given up by the pads. 

I spec’d hot rebounds on a pad that I had ordered and lived to regret it. It was fun punting the puck to the centre red line at first, but then the shooters adapted.  My Brian’s “Lady” pads give up pretty hot rebounds, as well. Now I am a believer that a puck should die when it hits your pads, as so many goals would have preventable had I been able to smother the puck. 

Who here feels the trend of hot rebounds is good? Any testimonials?

I think you'd agree that having the rebound itself isn't the problem, it's where it ends up, so it's more your control in directing it. Body positioning and where the puck is hitting your pads is a factor. On top of that you mentioned shooters learned to shoot say far side knowing the rebound would be directed to another player, using you as a backboard, so it also depends on the shooters you're dealing with.

I'm wearing a set of Retro Flexes which are on the softer side and by no means built for "hot" rebounds. But, my Sunday league is quick and it's more about directing rebounds to corners etc. There is enough pace on the shots to do that. Another skate I do has a mix of shooters, and in some cases there just isn't enough on the shot to direct a rebound, it hits and usually leaves a short rebound which is annoying at times. I'm playing the same style, but the results differ.

Perhaps it's just the wrong style of pad for your style of play.

Your Zero G "lady" pads are giving you hot rebounds?

I guess what people consider "hot" is a variable. I had a set of Halak returns, retro Zero Gs, which I alternated with a set of GNETik 2s and Subzero 2s. Obviously, I found that the Zero Gs gave the softest rebounds, but only the Sub 2s shot out anything I'd consider to be "hot".

Personally, I like a booming rebound, which is why I went with the FLY core on my Optiks. Like @BadAngle41 said, it gets to be about positioning and directing the puck.

I had this same, "Hot rebound" discussion with myself two weeks ago when every strong rebound I kicked out seemed to land on the opponents tape.  It was my 3rd game of the night, so I decided to just drink beer and not worry about it afterwards.  Last week I was more conscious of my stick work and positioning and was able to either direct the puck past the opponent, or just send it to the corner, and I only played one game :)  Conclusion:  I like the powerful rebounds when I'm on my game.

@Murray - I actually don't feel like my FLY core are all that powerful for rebounds, when compared to my 1S.  They are strong, just not what I expected.

-steve

Love hot rebounds. The hotter the better. Sure, it has burned me a couple of times but it has saved me way more often than not compared to my old soft rebound pads. 

The best aspect of them is on plays like 2 on 1s where the shooter will shoot far side to try to force the rebound to the open skater who taps it into the open net. I used to let in so many goals on this play with my old soft pads. 

Now with my lively 1X, 9 times out of 10 the rebound will be so hard that even if it is directed right at the open guy, he will be too slow to be able to react. 

And yes if a shooter is really smart, they can try to shoot softer to get a slower rebound but at that point I can usually use my stick to direct the puck into the corner so that hasn't been much of an issue for me. 

I'd never go back to soft pads after getting used to lively rebounds. 

9 minutes ago, 1C5 said:

I'd never go back to soft pads after getting used to lively rebounds. 

I'll agree with this as well, plus I'm liking the stiffer pads now in general.

I think playstyle is a huge factor to rebounds. I've seen immobile guys (very little to no down game) give up some horrendous goals due to their stiffer pads. A softer rebound would suit them better just due to their own ability

Thanks to all who have answered thus far.

I am stiff, but play a fairly athletic style.Where the hot rebounds burn me is frankly in the weirdest of situations. Knee rolls, whilst looking “right”, give weird and unpredicatable rebounds, for certain. Frankly, the hot rebounds are great when I stand up to play. It is my pathetic butterfly that gets me into trouble. Now- kicking them out far to the corner is what I would love to do and it even happens on occasion!

@Murray The Lady Zero G is a decidedly different pad than other Zero G. It has a table top boot. It has a very sharp boot angle. There are enough differences between these and other models in the Zero G line that these may have hot rebounds built in; Halak may have requested a dead rebound, as well.  I have been working to flex these into an S shape and this flexing may help make them softer (i.e. deader rebounds). They are going S-shaped without a couch! The rebounds are nowhere near as hot as my PAW pads, but still hotter than ANY Vaughn I have played in (well- maybe not the recent Vaughn pads). I have just come to realise that the super-duper stiff, hyper rebounding pad is not for me!

I may be doing other stuff to help with my quest for the perfect pad. I don’t think these pads will get any more mods, but there is plenty in the demonic rabbit boneyard. Look for it in the mod section...

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am stiff, but play a fairly athletic style.Where the hot rebounds burn me is frankly in the weirdest of situations. Knee rolls, whilst looking “right”, give weird and unpredicatable rebounds, for certain.

I certainly don't mean to get off subject... but I would be hard pressed to say that even 1 of 100 shots hit my knee rolls. Shins, of course; Boot, yes; Thigh Rise, yes... but rarely off the knee. Not sure if that's just me, but odd rebounds off knees are just something I haven't experienced. To me knee rolls are more of a vestigial organ. 

That said, @Murray making comments about how great his new FLY cores are (on what are certainly a beautifully appointed set at that) isn't helping my itch to buy new gear for no good reason. 

Definitely prefer the hotter rebounds since getting into my 1S pads, but agree that your style has to fit into it as well.  

One of my favourite anecdotes from those OD1N videos Bauer put out back when they first launched was the justification for the huge rebounds.  Apparently they were originally trying to create a pad that would stop pucks dead, but were having lots of durability issues, so Lundqvist said if they can't deaden the rebounds then just make them go as far as possible instead.

Even the SLR's don't give me as hot of a rebound as the 1S.  It's still pretty firm, but just not quite on that next level.

All depends on your style of play. My first pad was a Koho Revolution 589 that gave up softer rebounds on the near fivehole part of the pad for easy coverage, and would shoot rebounds out when hitting the leg to boot area. Soon made the switch to the Vaughn V Elite and I love them, kicks the rebounds out a lot easier for me. 

What also comes into factor is how strong your legs are when you kick out rebounds, if you like those hot rebounds that is, lol. 

Personally, I see strong rebounds as a plus since I play in a men's league where my D's don't always clear the puck once I make the first save. So many goals went in just because the puck died around me but just far enough to be out of my reach. IMO, juicy rebounds all the way.

Kind of hard to get a handle on this topic. Too many situations happen to do a one approach to all so I guess you pick your poison and deal with the outcomes accordingly. A hot rebound can be a good thing on a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2. Helpful to have the puck shoot back out past the second or third skater. In a play where the opposition has all 5 men in the zone, a long rebound is not helpful unless somehow the pad has enough kick in to shoot the puck outside the blue line or close to the boards so you don't have to manage a quick second shot. If the goalie plays the down game, it seems to me that keeping the rebounds short would be a positive thing. The goalie is already down so it should be pretty easy to cover the puck and get a whistle. Like Southpaw and others have said, suppose it depends on your style and your preference. 

Thanks for more subsequent replies. I can say that the hot rebounds would be good for a 2 on 1. I would not want it where I could not kick the puck far, far away if needed. Again- I am still getting all of the impressions of different pads into what I want a set to perform like. 

Of course I am addicted to buying gear, a.k.a. GAS. Of course more cheap gear is better! 

I am surprised that nobody is in the dead rebounds club. 

Now my blocker needs to punt pucks FAR away!!!!

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Thanks for more subsequent replies. I can say that the hot rebounds would be good for a 2 on 1. I would not want it where I could not kick the puck far, far away if needed. Again- I am still getting all of the impressions of different pads into what I want a set to perform like. 

Of course I am addicted to buying gear, a.k.a. GAS. Of course more cheap gear is better! 

I am surprised that nobody is in the dead rebounds club. 

Now my blocker needs to punt pucks FAR away!!!!

I was trying to note the pluses and minuses. My preference is the dead rebound club by a light year. If I want to put something in the corner or knock it back past the attackers, I'll select the save that no one choses anymore but I'd much rather have it at my feet and cover it. My pads, however, aren't foam; deer hair and kapok, which no one uses anymore either. :)

7 hours ago, Fullright said:

... Too many situations happen to do a one approach to all so I guess you pick your poison and deal with the outcomes accordingly. ... In a play where the opposition has all 5 men in the zone, a long rebound is not helpful unless somehow the pad has enough kick in to shoot the puck outside the blue line or close to the boards so you don't have to manage a quick second shot. ...

Excellent point. IMO, with anything in goaltending, you can't have default moves - it's all about save selection.

7 hours ago, Fullright said:

I was trying to note the pluses and minuses. My preference is the dead rebound club by a light year. If I want to put something in the corner or knock it back past the attackers, I'll select the save that no one choses anymore but I'd much rather have it at my feet and cover it. My pads, however, aren't foam; deer hair and kapok, which no one uses anymore either. :)

That is the one thing when I do play more of a stand up style is that nobody expects some saves from a goalie any longer. Since I now wear a full cowling once again, now I am adding skate saves into the selection. One has to fill the quvier with as many types of arrows available as possible, I say!

There have been times where in my dead pads that I still punt the puck a fair way out. I just don’t want the pucks shooting out to another shooter unintentionally, especially if they end up expecting it!

I guess I want something that dies at my feet by default,  but if I intend for it to fly, it will. I got an assist from kicking the puck to the winger last week!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived