Your Plans for 2022-2023 Year?

Fullright

Fall is here and the time to get back is approaching. Personally, I plan to return to a pretty good skate next month. Covid and some parental health issues threw a monkey wrench into skating regularly the past few years. I turn 60 this January so hopefully I can get one more run of skates before my body craps out for good. I am done with teams and games; just cant do the late night games on a Tuesday night, for example, anymore and cannot take on the responsibility of committing to a team as its goaler. 

Interested to know what you all have on the books for the upcoming hockey season and I hope it goes well for you

• Like 1

My goal for hockey season 2022-23?  I hope to finish the season and not suck.

It's my 17th year with this bunch, the Ogopogo Seniors Hockey Club. Three years ago I graduated to the 70+ team, many familiar faces but man, they look old.🙄

I wish you all a satisfying season with a bag of shutouts, excuses for new gear purchases, cold beer and hot showers.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Well in the past year I've gotten married, changed jobs, bought a new place, became a landlord, and had my first kid, and won a championship.  

I'm honestly not too sure what else I can do for the next 12 months to beat that? 

Ok, who let the friggin pro walk in here?! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve been busy - started playing in the pick up games with work people, took my kid to Rep team try outs 5 days in a row, where he was one of the last cuts. Transition to running the house league sort outs, get hammered by the COVID I probably contracted during tryouts week, recover, finish the sort outs, become head coach again, organize the parent meeting, help the goalie’s Dad on the team with new chestie info, and now I’m here.

We lost ourselves a goalie, my friends,  as my 9 year old daughter decided she didn’t want to play hockey this year. 🥺 I still have her sweet, tiny Brian’s gear, just in case.

Men’s league starts first week of October, and we actually got a guy in his 30s, making me the 2nd youngest at 43, and bringing the team’s average age down to about 55. 

Hope to be on here more often now that it’s all hockey all the time. Now off to get a beer, and fire up the BBQ.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I just hope to keep playing this season.  I've been in another rut where I just don't care to play.  Would rather be home with the wife and kids.  My team is going to play in Lake Placid in December.  I have always wanted to do that.  I can't make it and it doesn't even bother me.  

I hope that you end up happy with whatever choice(s) you make, bruh. I know the pull of family; it’s real. But then mine are always fucking off for their activities, so I might as well too! Lol!

On 9/23/2022 at 4:54 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Well in the past year I've gotten married, changed jobs, bought a new place, became a landlord, and had my first kid, and won a championship.  

I'm honestly not too sure what else I can do for the next 12 months to beat that? 

Ooh! Ye’ve a wee bairn ben the hoose now! Congrats on becoming a Father, Coop. It’s a helluva ride - but I never for a second regretted becoming a parent. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 4:50 PM, Fullright said:

Fall is here and the time to get back is approaching. Personally, I plan to return to a pretty good skate next month. Covid and some parental health issues threw a monkey wrench into skating regularly the past few years. I turn 60 this January so hopefully I can get one more run of skates before my body craps out for good. I am done with teams and games; just cant do the late night games on a Tuesday night, for example, anymore and cannot take on the responsibility of committing to a team as its goaler. 

Interested to know what you all have on the books for the upcoming hockey season and I hope it goes well for you

Great thread topic! and I know about parental health issues; my dad is only 64, but has been effectively debilitated with diabetes and strokes. Not easy.
I hope you get to enjoy however many skates you get in! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I just hope to keep playing this season.  I've been in another rut where I just don't care to play.  Would rather be home with the wife and kids.  My team is going to play in Lake Placid in December.  I have always wanted to do that.  I can't make it and it doesn't even bother me.  

I remember you having a familiar feeling a year or so ago. 

While I wouldn't be surprised that you put hockey in pause eventually (you'll be back), I also remember you hitting the rink again and finding the love of the game again. 

Do whatever you feel is best man. We got your back either way. 

21 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I hope that you end up happy with whatever choice(s) you make, bruh. I know the pull of family; it’s real. But then mine are always fucking off for their activities, so I might as well too! Lol!

Thanks bud.  Not going to lie I really regret my decision to stop playing with the Knights team.  The hockey was so much better, more competitive.  While I do enjoy the company of the Warriors team more then I did the Knights, its just not the same.  Add in the fact that all of their games are later and spread all over the week and always played in rinks farther from home, I just don't care to do what I need to do to make the games.  I'm fine missing them.  Idk, we'll see how everything goes moving forward.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I remember you having a familiar feeling a year or so ago. 

While I wouldn't be surprised that you put hockey in pause eventually (you'll be back), I also remember you hitting the rink again and finding the love of the game again. 

Do whatever you feel is best man. We got your back either way. 

A year ago, 6 months ago, it seems like this is how I always feel now lol.  I'm out for months at a time, I am back for a few weeks, I am out for a month now again already.  

• Like 1

@SaveByRichter35 - can't fault you for losing a bit of oomph going from something competitive and routine to something less so on both fronts. I skated in the "novice" league for a number years because it was a great group of dudes but it got to a point where it just felt like I was watching a rod hockey game play out in front me. Couldn't hack it any longer.

@Lucky Pucker - I get you on the parental health issues. Both of my folks are in less than stellar health (and my grandfolks are in their nineties) with my dad a diabetic in the later stages of kidney failure. Its been a long road and I'm scheduled to get assessed as a potential donor next month so hopefully that helps everyone. Good luck to you and your pops.

Anyhow - to chip into the thread - (life instances such as above interjecting) I'm down to technically (2) nights a week this year (at one point I was Monday - Thursday (and some Saturdays) but have been methodically cutting back since there are so many other calls for my time and my body doesn't bounce back like it used to). Last year I was full time Monday (organized drop in) and Tuesday (men's/beer league) but this year I was going to go with an alternating Monday/Tuesday schedule so I could loop in a younger coworker to the team (and he could show me up every other week 😆). For the time being - that's morphed into every Monday/every other Tuesday while another guy mends. If I get to cough up an organ - doctors said I'd be out for like 2-3 months so I'm relishing the opportunity to play... for now... until the snow starts flying at its a 10PM puck drop. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chile57 said:

@SaveByRichter35 - can't fault you for losing a bit of oomph going from something competitive and routine to something less so on both fronts. I skated in the "novice" league for a number years because it was a great group of dudes but it got to a point where it just felt like I was watching a rod hockey game play out in front me. Couldn't hack it any longer.

@Lucky Pucker - I get you on the parental health issues. Both of my folks are in less than stellar health (and my grandfolks are in their nineties) with my dad a diabetic in the later stages of kidney failure. Its been a long road and I'm scheduled to get assessed as a potential donor next month so hopefully that helps everyone. Good luck to you and your pops.

Anyhow - to chip into the thread - (life instances such as above interjecting) I'm down to technically (2) nights a week this year (at one point I was Monday - Thursday (and some Saturdays) but have been methodically cutting back since there are so many other calls for my time and my body doesn't bounce back like it used to). Last year I was full time Monday (organized drop in) and Tuesday (men's/beer league) but this year I was going to go with an alternating Monday/Tuesday schedule so I could loop in a younger coworker to the team (and he could show me up every other week 😆). For the time being - that's morphed into every Monday/every other Tuesday while another guy mends. If I get to cough up an organ - doctors said I'd be out for like 2-3 months so I'm relishing the opportunity to play... for now... until the snow starts flying at its a 10PM puck drop. 

It was much easier to juggle my work schedule with the Knights since we played only on Sunday nights.  During the week I have to work nights due to my kids school schedules and my wife being a teacher.  I have to be home in the morning with them.  So with my days off rotating every week its just too much of a hassle to bother coworkers for shift/day off swaps all throughout the week instead of just one night.  Such is life.  I'll make what I can.  Try.  I will try to make what I can lol.  And if I don't make the games that I can make, well, I don't know...oh well.  lol

My hockey season will consist mostly of watching it. As well as watching the posts on here of all your new gear and becoming green as The Hulk with envy…. Unofficial retirement sucks, but life’s priorities are just that and I’m glad I have them! So to those with new gear on the way, new teams, tourneys etc, I look forward to them all! 

On 9/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ok, we seriously need to have an intervention here.

Intervention GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

Taking the season off from college hockey... the break from school and competitive play altogether has been great for me especially mentally. Got a PRP injection in my hip a few months ago to help the hip and slight labrum degeneration... also starting to work with some guys overseas and they seem to care a lot about helping goalies so I'm relieved. Been subbing in for adult league games as well when I get the call :) and spending time with family and friends as well during this time has taken a lot of stress away so I'm happier. I'm hoping to be back to 100% come next season and maybe more... but for now it's time for recovery, physically and mentally. 

Safe to say though, freshman year of college wasn't a great experience, and I don't plan on playing or going there again.. I can relate also with the whole dad thing... my dad is in his 60s and I almost lost him a few months ago while losing one of my uncles as well earlier in the year while I was back east. Not to get into specifics but a lot of other things have gone on that I can't even begin to start on this year, but of course my love for the sport hasn't changed luckily. With that, I wish the rest of you the best in what's left of this year. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Taking the season off from college hockey... the break from school and competitive play altogether has been great for me especially mentally. Got a PRP injection in my hip a few months ago to help the hip and slight labrum degeneration... also starting to work with some guys overseas and they seem to care a lot about helping goalies so I'm relieved. Been subbing in for adult league games as well when I get the call :) and spending time with family and friends as well during this time has taken a lot of stress away so I'm happier. I'm hoping to be back to 100% come next season and maybe more... but for now it's time for recovery, physically and mentally. 

Safe to say though, freshman year of college wasn't a great experience, and I don't plan on playing or going there again.. I can relate also with the whole dad thing... my dad is in his 60s and I almost lost him a few months ago while losing one of my uncles as well earlier in the year while I was back east. Not to get into specifics but a lot of other things have gone on that I can't even begin to start on this year, but of course my love for the sport hasn't changed luckily. With that, I wish the rest of you the best in what's left of this year. 

Sounds like you have a full plate without competitive hockey @southpawtendy48 - take care of yourself and yours during your off year.

... and that "advice" goes for everyone here on the boards. If we aren't looking out for one another - who is eh?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chile57 said:

Sounds like you have a full plate without competitive hockey @southpawtendy48 - take care of yourself and yours during your off year.

... and that "advice" goes for everyone here on the boards. If we aren't looking out for one another - who is eh?

Thank you, and the same goes to you!

I occasionally sub in for adult league teams so that is filling that competitive gap in the meantime, haha