Px3 Catalyst

Chenner29

1 hour ago, Novasteel31 said:

So I got my set back in the spring and I ordered it with a 600 break glove. 

Build quality is great on the 600 and closure is good but I just could not adjust to the glove break or pocket positioning from my old Brian's Gnetik glove. One game would be perfect and then the next I would be brutal with it. So decided to place an order for a 590 and 4 weeks later she showed up today!

Looking forward to getting on the ice next week.

PXL_20231222_235927803.jpg

PXL_20231223_000015506.jpg

PXL_20231222_235915331.jpg

Let us know how it goes! Gnetik is always a hard glove to transition out of

On 12/22/2023 at 10:11 PM, keeperton said:

I may be going down this exact same journey in a few months too. Interested to see how it goes for you!

If all goes well actually I will have two skates back to back on Thursday so will use the 600 first and then the 590 on the second. However from wearing it around the house I'm fairly certain the 590 is what i am after

• 1 month later...

Hey dudes, I have L20.2 leg pads and just came across a set of 9x3’s and wow the stiffness in the thigh rise is very noticeable.  When you guys first got your Px3s were they tough to move around in because of the extra stiffness?  

I feel very aware of the pads hitting each other and curious what you guys think of over time and break in will maybe change how much they interfere with each other. 

4 minutes ago, Bzktmoto said:

Hey dudes, I have L20.2 leg pads and just came across a set of 9x3’s and wow the stiffness in the thigh rise is very noticeable.  When you guys first got your Px3s were they tough to move around in because of the extra stiffness?  

I feel very aware of the pads hitting each other and curious what you guys think of over time and break in will maybe change how much they interfere with each other. 

That's a pretty common occurrence for anyone when they go up in thighrise stiffness. I know I experienced it going from V4's->RGTs, RGT2's->Ultrasonics, and Ultrasonics->Mach.

Your skating, movements, and overall comfortability will all adapt as you get used to the new specs and they'll become second nature eventually. 

On 12/22/2023 at 10:11 PM, keeperton said:

I may be going down this exact same journey in a few months too. Interested to see how it goes for you!

So I have been using th 590 now since Jan on the regular and i can say that the feel of the glove the pocket position feels more similar to what I had in my Gnetik. When it comes to catching the puck I feel as though I'm having similar issues to when I used a 590 last which my revoke set from a long time ago. I found that the 600 break somehow found the puck in the pocket a bit more where as the 590 I have more that tend to bounce and not funnel into the pocket. I haven't used my 600 since December which is about 12 skates so I'm going to wait until my season is done in March and continue to use the 590 and if I'm still not fully adjusted and the 600 hasn't sold I am going to do some switching during pick up to see if I can spot what is really happening. Overall feel wise though I prefer the 590. 

Also the wrist strap in both gloves is basically redundant for me as i have it as loose as possible lol. I just tighten the glove down over my knuckles

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Novasteel31 said:

So I have been using th 590 now since Jan on the regular and i can say that the feel of the glove the pocket position feels more similar to what I had in my Gnetik. When it comes to catching the puck I feel as though I'm having similar issues to when I used a 590 last which my revoke set from a long time ago. I found that the 600 break somehow found the puck in the pocket a bit more where as the 590 I have more that tend to bounce and not funnel into the pocket. I haven't used my 600 since December which is about 12 skates so I'm going to wait until my season is done in March and continue to use the 590 and if I'm still not fully adjusted and the 600 hasn't sold I am going to do some switching during pick up to see if I can spot what is really happening. Overall feel wise though I prefer the 590. 

Also the wrist strap in both gloves is basically redundant for me as i have it as loose as possible lol. I just tighten the glove down over my knuckles

It all depends on how you angle your glove to the puck and how it works best for you.  Back in the Koho days they sold the 580 and 590 on how you held the glove for max coverage (it was either out to the side of your knee or elbow high/glove down).

I prefer the 600, I tried a Optik2 and couldn't catch anything in the pocket.  

• 1 month later...

I was finally able to take these out on the ice last night, and the adjustment from my Eflex 6 set was surprisingly easy. Both sets are 33 + 1.5, both have weave on the sliding surface, and both are the stiffest internals that each pad offers, although obviously the Px3s have a much stiffer thigh rise and are stiffer overall.

I didn't have any issues with mobility or pad interference, strapping system felt good, rotation was good, etc.

Butterfly slides during the flow of play and going post to post was better on the Px3s. Overall it's just a stiffer and more solid platform upon which to move and play. The only aspect that I really noticed was different and that I'll need to work on is 5 hole coverage. The curve of the CCMs lets you get a little lazy, whereas with the Trues you need to be conscious of keeping your knees together and maintaining a good flare due to the straighter and stiffer thigh rise.

For sizing comparison, my knees do land a little higher on the block of the Trues despite them both being a 33 and despite the flatter boot on the Trues.

Overall I was impressed, they felt great 👍

PXL_20240325_025857046_1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, froese said:

I was finally able to take these out on the ice last night, and the adjustment from my Eflex 6 set was surprisingly easy. Both sets are 33 + 1.5, both have weave on the sliding surface, and both are the stiffest internals that each pad offers, although obviously the Px3s have a much stiffer thigh rise and are stiffer overall.

I didn't have any issues with mobility or pad interference, strapping system felt good, rotation was good, etc.

Butterfly slides during the flow of play and going post to post was better on the Px3s. Overall it's just a stiffer and more solid platform upon which to move and play. The only aspect that I really noticed was different and that I'll need to work on is 5 hole coverage. The curve of the CCMs lets you get a little lazy, whereas with the Trues you need to be conscious of keeping your knees together and maintaining a good flare due to the straighter and stiffer thigh rise.

For sizing comparison, my knees do land a little higher on the block of the Trues despite them both being a 33 and despite the flatter boot on the Trues.

Overall I was impressed, they felt great 👍

PXL_20240325_025857046_1.jpg

Interesting. Seems like I'm the only one having shit sliding in trues. But that could just be a personal issue with weight distribution. My ef6 slid way better than my trues. 

23 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

Interesting. Seems like I'm the only one having shit sliding in trues. But that could just be a personal issue with weight distribution. My ef6 slid way better than my trues. 

What material do you have on the sliding surface?

32 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

Yeah that is surprising. My ef6's do slide quite well and I don't have any issues with them, but the Trues are better. For me, anyway. As @Toobs asked, what do you have on them? Weave? and is that what's on your CCM's as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of sliding surfaces, curious to know from other px3 owners how tight the material is on your knee block. I have to say, mine definitely has some  extra and isn't wrapped tight. 

2 hours ago, froese said:

Speaking of sliding surfaces, curious to know from other px3 owners how tight the material is on your knee block. I have to say, mine definitely has some  extra and isn't wrapped tight. 

Knee block is pretty tight but the calf wing definitely has some loose material 

1 hour ago, froese said:

@Toobs My calf wings are fine, just the knee block. Likely not a big deal and I should probably just ignore my OCD 

Yeah I’ve had a few px3 sets and there’s been a bit of loose material in various places and it’s not caused me any issues. But never had any on the knee block.

• Thanks 1

Just thought I'd give some feedback/mention a minor complaint after six ice times with my px3's: The velcro quality really isn't great! Compared to my ef6's it's the one thing that's disappointing. Especially on the FRS system (not the tabbed end that you use to remove and attach, but the other end that you set up/adjust to get the right fit), it isn't very strong and a corner is already curling up a little. Strap quality in general is behind CCM, in my opinion. 

Anyone else have a similar experience or did I get unlucky? None of this is a dealbreaker, I guess my expectations were just higher.