Vaughn Ventus SLR Pro Carbon

itis121

To get started this is my first review write up on goalie equipment. I have written this up in word and pasted it here.20180301_103957.thumb.jpg.e28cc6447e19d078d99bc4156ae11ea0.jpg

Purchasing decision

I have played hockey for about 12 years and only really had three c/a in that span. I first started playing in a Vaughn 700 vision, when I outgrew that I moved to an unknown RBK c/a for about 3 practices before I had enough of the arm protection jabbing my side to the point that it was too uncomfortable to wear. Then I was able to swap it for a Vaughn Vision 8404 that I would end up playing in for the next eight years. My decision to move on from the 8404 was that it became noticeable soft that every other skate I would end up bruised and there was not much overlapping between the c/a and my pants that made me uncomfortable/ unsuitable to play in net.

Following my decision to get a new c/a I have narrowed it down to the following

1.       Bauer 1X

a.       A mobile c/a would help me play my overly aggressive style of play

b.       Very light

c.       Slightly used so it was priced cheaper

d.       Something other than Vaughn

2.       Warrior RGT

a.       Traditional construction (No robot arms)

b.       multiple strap/ adjustments to get a better fit

c.       again, something other than Vaughn

3.       Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon

a.       Similar to my old 8404 but beefed up with modern tech

These factors were why I eventually got the SLR’s (Note that is very subjective to my self and will vary from person to person)

1.       Bauer 1X

a.       I felt that the chest was way to stiff for my liking

b.       Curious how shoulder floater material would hold up over time

2.       Warrior RGT

a.       Seemed heavier compared to the other units

3.       Custom

a.       As I said before I did not feel confident enough to wait for a custom unit to be built while I still played in my 8404.

b.       Not able to trade equipment to get a discounted price.

I went and purchased the SLR because it is what I was most conferrable with. I later purchased a like new V5 on kijiji for a vary reasonably price to compare the two units

Overview

I did my initial research and it doesn’t seem that different compared to the previous gen (LT98). Can someone tell me if they are the same unit?

My initial impression on trying on the SLR’s is that it was a lot bulkier than my 8404 (most likely due to it being well used and a size smaller). The arms are solid and bulky as well, nut the choice of constructing it out of air mesh. But the belly flap was something relatively new to me. And the waist only contained one buckle! One less buckle to warry about breaking.

Features include …

·         Added carbon fiber to reduce weight. (I believe in the belly flap and sternum protector?)

·         Back plate adjustment

o   Upper w/ Velcro separate straps that adjust the body and arms

o   Two elastics for the lover body. The left side is attached to the body w/ plastic loop and slider while right side contains a buckle

·         Adjustable belly flap

·         Arm constructed w/ air mesh material for mobility/ breathability

·         Back forearm protection (constructed with flimsy foam and this plastic

·         Pillow for shoulder floaters

·         Newer models come with Mrazek straps on the shoulder floaters

001.thumb.PNG.bf92dd0820637402c409f99f12c89edb.PNG

Construction and build quality is amazing. This unit is built in London, On. Majority of the c/a is constructed with the air mesh in the arms and most of the outer material and standard nylon materials on the inside of the body, shoulder floaters, sternum protector… and so on. The body is constructed with a thin layer of fabric with mesh enforcement. I am most concerned with the air mesh around the wrist Velcro as this seems like a high wear zone and should have a strip of nylon there for extra longevity. Clorino or Jenpro is used for the graphics on the arms and shoulder floaters as well as the wrist straps. All logos are embroidered on the air mesh. The main body internals consist of softer foams compared to the layered protection and the arms. I believe the carbon is in the sternum protector and belly flap? Other than that the arms consist of both soft/harder foams and plastics. The shoulder floaters feel extremely ridged. For those who wonder about the back arm protection flap, it consist of a flimsy piece of plastic and soft foams. It feels like this was intended to protect you from the odd bounce rather than a direct shot. The back/side bicep protect is a lot more rigid than I initially anticipated which makes me feel that much more confident in playing in RVH.

20180301_104345.thumb.jpg.53bcfa26af25bd1f547d458e96425274.jpg20180301_130247.thumb.jpg.f69f999f9d04783560bbd9e95ee6e24c.jpg20180301_104300.thumb.jpg.bc5e3f8398f71f4572092dd4bb2aeea4.jpg

20180301_131344.thumb.jpg.06631edd71c4785ad2036e9780e746f1.jpg

Please note that is was the first time looking at new c/a as I didn’t really have much need for an upgrade. So I didn’t know what to expect from these added protection point. Both the V5 and 8404 did not have the extra added protection.

As for protection I have only seen one stinger on my left bicep as I wasn’t anticipating on receiving a shot that hard (nice quick release). It didn’t leave a noticeable mark on me but left the area soar, which made me wonder what I did to myself that make my arm soar like that. I tend to play against some Jr. players in school intramural and faces solid shots to the chest with it seeming dissipate puck velocity very well. The shoulder and arm floaters are big and solid, so I haven’t really had issues taking hard shots towards those areas. Overall, I feel that the retail pro unit is sufficient enough to play in college intramural, high-mid level shinny and c/d level of men’s league, even though it might be a bit overkill.

The feel of the SLR c/a felt very snug and connected fit. Shoulder floaters also feel connected when compared to the V5 (even the person who I bought the V5 from also agreed that he also like the snug fit of the shoulder floaters on his previous Vision c/a). I have tried I tried to adjust the Velcro on the shoulder floaters on the V5 to replicate the feeling on my SLR’s but couldn’t get it dialed in just right. There is adjust ability to move the shoulder floaters inward toward the neck or outwards depending how you adjust the body shoulders. Depending on how you have the shoulder floaters setup will increase or decrease mask interference. Arms are built like a tank and seal up the gaps well. The elbow cup is laced in place at four points. Two of those point run through the lower arm floater, this too has two adjustment points for a snug or loose fit. Although I found that the arm adjustment elastics that attaches to the arm adjustments to the back plate does give me some comforted (fixed my adding cover wrap). The chest contains some softer foams which makes the break in process a lot quicker and comfortable to play in.

20180301_104136.thumb.jpg.aa5b147fec727052b6cc8406845e12b9.jpg

20180301_131333.thumb.jpg.38e9cb0b20c4cbd7dc94b03b50dcf1bb.jpg

Overall the SLR pro carbon is a solid c/a, it may be over kill considering the playing level I’m at, but I was looking to purchase a unit that would probably last me another eight to ten years. Only time will tell until the material will fray apart.  Also the added feature of the shoulder floater pillows are a nice feature. So down the road when the foams start to get softer I would be able to pop those back in for light bit of protection.I have added elastic loops on the back plate to funnel my suspenders and the other for comfort.

So it's an LT90 but with a small amount of extra protection on the underside of the catcher arm and longer belly protection.

Which I believe was originally changed on the LT98 line.

Thanks for the write up, was curious about this unit as I'm in a LT90, but the cost for a minor upgrade doesn't seem worth it for me.

Considering this chesty. Few questions:

1. As someone who tucks in the chesty, I noticed that the belly loop is on the inside of the belly flap. Does the C/A intend for the belly flap to stick out of the pants? How high can the pants be tied up before you get restrictions like the pants and the C/A rubbing against each other on the edges (is there a going concern on the pants and C/A fighting each other when tucked in)?
  2. Are you able to get a photo of you wearing it before and after a jersey?

The C/A looks amazing and am looking forward to a follow-up review after a few hours of game/scrimmage use.

36 minutes ago, WizYuan said:

Considering this chesty. Few questions:

1. As someone who tucks in the chesty, I noticed that the belly loop is on the inside of the belly flap. Does the C/A intend for the belly flap to stick out of the pants? How high can the pants be tied up before you get restrictions like the pants and the C/A rubbing against each other on the edges (is there a going concern on the pants and C/A fighting each other when tucked in)?
  2. Are you able to get a photo of you wearing it before and after a jersey?

The C/A looks amazing and am looking forward to a follow-up review after a few hours of game/scrimmage use.

I've been using the same unit for almost a month, so I can weigh in on the tucking.  There honestly isn't a super convenient loop for tying the pants.  There is a jenpro loop behind the bottom of the sternum protection (where the goalie logo is) which is where the bottom belly flap actually ties into.  That flap is adjustable in length via 2 velcro straps and that piece of lace that ties to the loop.  Will post pictures when I get home if OP doesn't before me.

I actually dropped that belly flap just a bit and what it creates is a nice little gap where the belt of my pants (also SLR pro carbon, so they have an internal belt) fits into.  I don't crank the belt tight as I find that forces the whole unit up, or at least makes it much harder to tuck back in if you make a desperation stretch and it comes out.  Getting the belt to hug around at that little gap has made tucking this unit actually pretty good.  I tie my pant laces through that jenpro loop I mentioned, although it's kind of a wide loop and isn't specifically designed for that.  So you could also just have the belly pad lace tied through there and then tie your pants around the connection between the loop and the belly pad.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Beez37 said:

Great review!

I'm curious if anyone has the Ventus SLR Pro (non-carbon) model of this chesty and what they think of it? I have one (the blue one) and I'll write a review on it soon.

I find it's hard to find reviews on some sr level gear. Can't wait to read yours! 

Archived