Protechsport Mask Thread

15 hours ago, TitanG said:

That smooth interior does make it look very sharp. I wonder why Michel's masks are rougher on the inside (when you don't opt for the smooth interior upcharge) than competitors? Is it a fibre difference, resin difference, or both? Is it simply the way it's constructed, or do all the other companies smooth out their masks by default? I'm curious if anyone knows the reason.

Smooth inside is usually the result of a clam shell or a male/female mould. In the (likely) case of Michel’s moulds, it goes into a mould for the outside and the inside gets vacuum bagged, which pulls out extra resin, making a lighter piece. Smoothing out a piece like that takes a LOT of time and trouble. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Smooth inside is usually the result of a clam shell or a male/female mould. In the (likely) case of Michel’s moulds, it goes into a mould for the outside and the inside gets vacuum bagged, which pulls out extra resin, making a lighter piece. Smoothing out a piece like that takes a LOT of time and trouble. 

Ok that makes sense. Good to know!

18 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Is the harness underneath the foam? 

Someone needs to to grab that Lalime!!!

Yes, but there are small cutouts in the foam (near the edges) so that the elastic part of the harness is accessible.  The elastic basically has "T"-shape notches on one end to anchor them into position.  

Yeah! Hopefully the Lalime resurfaces somewhere, would be cool to see it find a good home!

8 minutes ago, Goalline said:

Yes, but there are small cutouts in the foam (near the edges) so that the elastic part of the harness is accessible.  The elastic basically has "T"-shape notches on one end to anchor them into position.  

Yeah! Hopefully the Lalime resurfaces somewhere, would be cool to see it find a good home!

Where is the Lalime?

15 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

This is what he refers to as his Pro Finish, correct?  Does anyone have pictures of their Protechsport masks without the smooth interior? 

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This is what he refers to as his Pro Finish, correct?  Does anyone have pictures of their Protechsport masks without the smooth interior? 

Yep, pro finish is the smooth inside.

I have two Protechsports, but the attached isn't my photo.

C3gzkJhWMAAZr44.thumb.jpg.0395907e98e230a600cb591712e8c4fe.jpg

You can see the "roughness" on the side, there.

It isn't really rough, just kind of bumpy.

16 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

And this is the pro finish?  Can you please post more pictures of the interior, specifically straight on?  And anyone else who has a non pro finish interior please take some straight on angled pictures?

IMG_0056_small.thumb.jpg.1a3f7e7d8d927235f0087713001765d5.jpgIMG_2050.thumb.jpg.7746513cdeedaf1e1cc422bc85429613.jpgIMG_2048.thumb.jpg.76145d21ae1105f42961bf1db09c8b16.jpg

These are my old images from a Brodeur-mold maskthat passed through my hands back in 2014. This had the smooth finish, which looked awesome.

Not at home, so I can't take pictures of my Theodore and 961-mold masks that do not have the pro finish.

10 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

These are my old images from a Brodeur-mold maskthat passed through my hands back in 2014. This had the smooth finish, which looked awesome.

Not at home, so I can't take pictures of my Theodore and 961-mold masks that do not have the pro finish.

Perfect, thanks for the pictures!

8 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Hardly anyone looks at the inside of the mask other than the person who wears it, it doesn't do much.

I wanted to see the difference between the two.  Is that a problem for you?

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yes sir!  

I would have to ask what he does to smooth it IF he was willing to share; however, it seems like I could take a good stab at explaining it. If he does what I THINK he does, it explains why it costs so much!

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Yes sir!  

I would have to ask what he does to smooth it IF he was willing to share; however, it seems like I could take a good stab at explaining it. If he does what I THINK he does, it explains why it costs so much!

I assumed he just sanded down the imperfections.  I guess its more involved that?