Protechsport Mask Thread

Mold was pretty easy actually. I'm glad I did it. I when my mask showed up, he pretty much had the straps and chin cup in right spot with minor adjustment needed. it's also the best fitting mask I've ever had. Just my own experience but I think doing the mold is well worth it.

55 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Currently chatting with Michel and planning to get my order in next paycheque here.... 

Main questions now are:

Cheater or cateye...

&

Gloss or Matte Black?

Cateye so you don’t look like a goof, and gloss black if your cage isn’t being powder coated, matte black if it is.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Cateye so you don’t look like a goof, and gloss black if your cage isn’t being powder coated, matte black if it is.

Though I should note that Tim Thomas is a favourite of mine, but you do raise a valid point. Likely going standard white cage. 

4 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Though I should note that Tim Thomas is a favourite of mine, but you do raise a valid point. Likely going standard white cage. 

I wonder if Michel can get a TT style cheater with the wider eye opening (like a cateye) than the original Beaupré style cheater cage?

10 hours ago, Kayen said:

Currently chatting with Michel and planning to get my order in next paycheque here.... 

Main questions now are:

Cheater or cateye...

&

Gloss or Matte Black?

Put my order in last week... I went matte back with black cage... murdering that bitch out!

• Like 1

For anyone who has seen pics of my mask, my white matte paint painted by Michel has some wicked paint chips on it around the cage. However, its a CCM he padded for me and not a Protech. 

Is he putting the plastic clear tubing on his cages yet? If not, anyone done so as a mod? If I get my paint touched up, I will be doing this. 

On 10/24/2017 at 2:30 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Best deal for a mid-level masque EVER!!!! You just have to wait a while.

Honestly, the fiberglass model is well above a "mid-level" mask, and imho, better than virtually anything available at retail

I've owned both kevlar and fiberglass models and honestly noticed no difference in the protection. My Potvin (fiberglass) should ship this week.

To this day, I have no idea why people would pay 3x the price of a Protechsport for a Bauer 961

On 12/3/2017 at 12:18 AM, bc30 said:

Honestly, the fiberglass model is well above a "mid-level" mask, and imho, better than virtually anything available at retail

I've owned both kevlar and fiberglass models and honestly noticed no difference in the protection. My Potvin (fiberglass) should ship this week.

To this day, I have no idea why people would pay 3x the price of a Protechsport for a Bauer 961

I actually do not disagree one bit.I only say mid-level because the all-fibreglass masque is closest to the fibreglass offerings of CCM, etc.

The only thing that holds people back is the wait time. 

On 12/3/2017 at 12:18 AM, bc30 said:

I bought a Bauer 961 because it was readily available and fits me like a glove. And the padding...so comfy! I plan on getting a protechsport but the wait time is very long and, more specifically in my case, making a head mold is an issue. I'm going to have to do it by myself which is a pain in the ass and isn't easy. And that's the only reason I've been putting it off.

But generally it's the head mold and wait times that put people in other masks. And some just like the shape.

49 minutes ago, parebele said:

I bought a Bauer 961 because it was readily available and fits me like a glove. And the padding...so comfy! I plan on getting a protechsport but the wait time is very long and, more specifically in my case, making a head mold is an issue. I'm going to have to do it by myself which is a pain in the ass and isn't easy. And that's the only reason I've been putting it off.

But generally it's the head mold and wait times that put people in other masks. And some just like the shape.

He does make a 960 clone; just don’t know which one he makes...

16 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

And the comfort.

I wonder if the NME padding kit would work in one of Protechsport's 961 clones? I think the NME padding is mechanically connected though so maybe not, depending on alignment of clips and whatnot.

Also, I'm sure there are foam/gel manufacturers who would manufacture the same type of padding, but that may be pricey for a one-time mask.

21 minutes ago, TitanG said:

I wonder if the NME padding kit would work in one of Protechsport's 961 clones? I think the NME padding is mechanically connected though so maybe not, depending on alignment of clips and whatnot.

Also, I'm sure there are foam/gel manufacturers who would manufacture the same type of padding, but that may be pricey for a one-time mask.

I think the holes don’t line up with the profile line. 

Maybe, but I doubt it. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone using the gel pads.

28 minutes ago, TitanG said:

I'm 99% sure none of the holes (venting or hardware) will line up. I have done foam on both types of masks (Bauer and my own 961 clones... not ProtechSport), and a lot of the holes are close, but not the same.  

That said, Michel could always map the holes to match your foam. Not sure he'd be up for doing that though. And honestly, the EVA foam he uses is really, really comfortable. So it might be a better bet to get him to pad it as he usually does and in the end if you don't love it try some alternate options.

42 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm 99% sure none of the holes (venting or hardware) will line up. I have done foam on both types of masks (Bauer and my own 961 clones... not ProtechSport), and a lot of the holes are close, but not the same.  

That said, Michel could always map the holes to match your foam. Not sure he'd be up for doing that though. And honestly, the EVA foam he uses is really, really comfortable. So it might be a better bet to get him to pad it as he usually does and in the end if you don't love it try some alternate options.

Nope I wouldn’t like his padding. 

On 12/3/2017 at 7:39 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Nope I wouldn’t like his padding. 

OK, I'll bite

Why?

He can put either the padding of your choice, or leave it unpadded

If you have a 960/961 padding kit, he could install it, and match the holes.

I know he has done the CCM hole pattern for people on other masks, so hole location isn't an issue.