Baselayer thread

RichMan

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
  • 3 months later...

Stanfields thermal long johns that I got in my 2nd year of Bantam in 1986 - holes in the knees

White turtleneck that I got at Footlocker in 1987.

Both items washed after every ice session since purchase.

• 2 months later...

I've used Unequal(seemingly no longer available), Zoombang and bauer padded shirts and all are pretty similar.  Currently using the Zoombang shirt with the sleeves cut off because I was getting way too hot once I switched to the new CCM pro chesty.  seems to have helped that issue.

Why is the unequal available?  I'm on their website and some shirts are in stock.  What shirt did you use?  I took a nasty underarm side shot on a 2 on 1 and have a nice bruise for it.  The zoombang looks like the highest rib protection, in terms of how high it goes under the arm.  Looking for something to help cover this exposed area under my arm between my c/a.

On 5/23/2024 at 9:57 AM, RichMan said:

I think these are part of the baselayer discussion. 

I have these and I believe (if I remember well) that the dark checkered sections are the cut-resistant areas. Why have it around the foot itself? Makes for a super tight fit. Unnecessary I'd say.

https://www.hockeymonkey.ca/fr/bauer-hockey-sock-performance-pro-cut-sr.html

image.png.d473ab56bfa2d737fdc5325d92e23ef2.png

10 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Why is the unequal available?  I'm on their website and some shirts are in stock.  What shirt did you use?  I took a nasty underarm side shot on a 2 on 1 and have a nice bruise for it.  The zoombang looks like the highest rib protection, in terms of how high it goes under the arm.  Looking for something to help cover this exposed area under my arm between my c/a.

their goalie shirt has been out of stock in basically all adult sizes for a very long time.  Have to assume its not coming back.

• Thanks 1

I have what is probably a bit of a weird setup. I wear a pair of Diamond MMA compression jock shorts as a first layer. Then I wear a pair of the Baselayer hockey compression pants over top of that. The shorts don't add a ton of compression, but I really like the jock/cup in it. Holds everything in place nicely and is made for taking repeated kicks. Then the Bracelayer adds some more compression and has neoprene sleeves built into the knees. It has allowed me to ditch knee braces as most of the time the sleeves give me enough support. Then on my upper body I'm wearing a Vaughn V8 padded shirt with the shoulder and forearm padding removed.

I've been thinking about swapping my current compression jock for a pair of core shorts with the built in jock. Just for a little more support for my groin and hip flexors. Wish they had a version with a built in jock but no velcro tabs though.

On 8/2/2024 at 3:00 PM, tgfoo said:

I have what is probably a bit of a weird setup. I wear a pair of Diamond MMA compression jock shorts as a first layer. Then I wear a pair of the Baselayer hockey compression pants over top of that. The shorts don't add a ton of compression, but I really like the jock/cup in it. Holds everything in place nicely and is made for taking repeated kicks. Then the Bracelayer adds some more compression and has neoprene sleeves built into the knees. It has allowed me to ditch knee braces as most of the time the sleeves give me enough support. Then on my upper body I'm wearing a Vaughn V8 padded shirt with the shoulder and forearm padding removed.

I've been thinking about swapping my current compression jock for a pair of core shorts with the built in jock. Just for a little more support for my groin and hip flexors. Wish they had a version with a built in jock but no velcro tabs though.

Literally do almost the same thing, Zoombang top, Diamond mma with Nike Drifit over them. But I’m thinking about getting the core with built in. I just hate the sock tabs too. If you make the switch let me know love to hear what you think 

On 8/2/2024 at 2:00 PM, tgfoo said:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for since it's a pant, but it has the built in jock, Core Short style compression, and the velcro tabs.
Might be up your alley as it may allow you to ditch the Bracelayer.

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-jock-core-1-0-compression-cup-sr.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzby1BhCQARIsAJ_0t5MlM9Xyidvow1Td2YBL9XHNhG8xUYkCuSL-kM9yh81RHfscg1p_POUaAssCEALw_wcB

With these, I've used a separate, basic knee sleeve when recovering from a knee injury, and more recently I have been using the padded Bauer knee guards (rip) with them.

Edit: they're not on the Bauer site, I'm guessing they are in the process of discontinuing it...

Can anyone chime in with what shirt may have the highest (physically towards the armpit) or best rib padding in their opinion?  I have browser tabs open for zoombang, mcdavid, Vaughn, bauer, aegis, unequal, and under armor.  Cost wise it's mcdavid all the way and the protection seems to goes fairly high up the ribs.  Doesn't seem like the foam would be as good as some of the other brands and definitely not as low profile.

On 8/4/2024 at 1:03 AM, RockyMountainTendy said:

Literally do almost the same thing, Zoombang top, Diamond mma with Nike Drifit over them. But I’m thinking about getting the core with built in. I just hate the sock tabs too. If you make the switch let me know love to hear what you think 

Nice, I haven't come across anybody else using the Diamond MMA jock before. It's been pretty great for me, but mine is definitely starting to show it's age, so I gotta decide if I'm going to replace it with a new one or switch to something else. The extra groin support definitely interests me.

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for since it's a pant, but it has the built in jock, Core Short style compression, and the velcro tabs.
Might be up your alley as it may allow you to ditch the Bracelayer.

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-jock-core-1-0-compression-cup-sr.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzby1BhCQARIsAJ_0t5MlM9Xyidvow1Td2YBL9XHNhG8xUYkCuSL-kM9yh81RHfscg1p_POUaAssCEALw_wcB

With these, I've used a separate, basic knee sleeve when recovering from a knee injury, and more recently I have been using the padded Bauer knee guards (rip) with them.

Edit: they're not on the Bauer site, I'm guessing they are in the process of discontinuing it...

I had considered these, but I really like the build in knee sleeves of the Bracelayer. However I could use a separate sleeve over top (or under?) them for the extra support like you've suggested. Could even get something with some more padding, like a g-form or mcdavid sleeve.

On 8/5/2024 at 10:08 AM, tgfoo said:

I haven't come across anybody else using the Diamond MMA jock before.

I do it in combo with an SLR Goalie Jock, I play at CU Boulder casually but a bunch of ACHA guys shoot on me. I also know some ex pros that one day I hope to play against when I get good enough. Plus I play another sport way more competitively so I gotta make sure I’m protected. 

My current base layer combo is Hogan Hockey pants and socks (4 sets of them).  I have two options for my top Under Armour Heat Gear padded long sleeve and Shock Doctor ShockSkin Goalie padded shirt.  I rarely use the Shock Doctor as it seems to trap a lot of heat but glad to have it as a back up just in case.

UA Undershirt.jpg

Hogan Hockey Pants & Socks.jpg

Shock Doctor ShockSkin Goalie Undershirt.jpg