Baselayer thread

RichMan

Thought I'd start a talk on what's out there, different brands and models. Compression or loose fit.

I prefer a loose kind of fit, not too tight. The set I've been using for the past 2 decades, the pant waist elastic has finally let go and they don't hold up as well anymore. Unfortunately the brand doesn't exist anymore. The replacement I got was the Source for Sports kit. Cheaper priced, not the best quality. I'm guessing they'll last a season or 2 at most.

Your turn. 

*mods, if this isn't the right forum, please do your thing. Thanks 

Vaughn padded compression pant, helped me not have to decide on knee pads. Comfy.

Older padded Shock Doctor compression long sleeve. Pity they're no longer making them. I flip flop between that and Powertek padded long sleeve. Dunno if those are in still around either.

Bauer Core 2.0 compression pants, which help prevent muscle pulls, and has a built in pouch for an additional cup underneath the goal jock (if preferred) matched with loose fit, long-sleeved, moisture-wicking under armor or Bauer top.  This combo stays light and warm even when wet and doesn’t get stinky. 

Before you think I'm nuts keep in mind I have arthritis in both knees and hips having played goal for 50 years. I wear mcdavid compression shorts knee sleeve braces on both knees bracelayer pants and Bauer long pants with the built in knee padding then the warrior 3x pro knee guards. Seems like over kill but it's the only way to keep playing.

Went to a local NHL team's locker room sale a year or two back and got several Under Armour pants. They look like this - https://www.icewarehouse.com/Under_Armour/descpage-UAHCL20.html?from=gshop&gad_source=1 but have grippy material on the shins. I think they were $20 each, brand new.

I don't need the velcro sock tabs or grip, but $20 for Under Armour pants seemed like a great deal.

As for tops, I have a couple of the older Reebok (Speedwick? PlayDry?) long-sleeve shirts. They look kinda like this - https://sidelineswap.com/gear/apparel/base-layers-compression/6563003-reebok-play-dry-base-layer-compression-shirt-short-sleeve-size-men-s-large. I like these a lot since they feel more like cotton than some other baselayers out there.

Edited by ZeroGravitas

3 minutes ago, RichMan said:

@Hockey34 I've tried short sleeves before and I just don't like it for many reasons. I need the long sleeves

I get it, pretty much everyone on my team wears long sleeves. I just don’t like the way long sleeve shirts feel, plus short sleeve shirts aren’t as hot. 

I’ve always used random Amazon tights. Up top I’ve been playing with a ve8 shirt and v10 neck guard to compensate for a super undersized chesty. Once I got in my Bauer pro series chest that created too much space between me and the chest and I felt awful. I tried no neck guard and got hot so what I’m doing now is no shirt+v10 neck guard and I’ll probably stick with that. Zoombang stuff looks pretty sick if I could get my hands on that

I'll bite - I've used Under Armor base layers for a number of years. Seem to have a pretty decent shelf life with washing after every use. I replace after they become thread bare/tear holes. Heat gear tights with a cold gear, long sleeved shirt.

Edited by chile57

typically an Under Armor compression longsleeve (they offer tall sizes which is great for my weird proportions) and Bauer Core 1.0 legs. I like the wicking and support, and the compression feels good.

Dealing with a hip thing lately that comes and goes, so last night I wore McDavid cross-compression shorts (similar to the Bauer 2.0, i think) under a set of CCM legs that had the sock velcro. Worked really well to help with the aches, and will probably be my solution when that flares up.

Shirt is just a whatever workout shirt from Amazon.

Pants are the Oneric Goalie base layer, which you can no longer buy. They come with cut resistant ankle section and are padded on the backside of the legs. They've been excellent and when I heard they were going out of business, I went out and bought a backup pair. 

Currently on my second set and have one more to go. Not sure what I'll do once these are worn out. 

7 minutes ago, indykrap said:

Does anyone wear jock shorts? Like the yellow mesh kind players wear. I wonder how they might work for holding up socks over knee pads. 

There's some baselayers out there that incorporate those already: 

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/bauer-elite-senior-goalie-padded-pants 

My Onerirc has them as well. 

The typical ywllo jock shorts would work fine, just depends on what else you wear with them. 

I'd imagine a base layer, shorts, then goalie jock would just be a lot of bulk. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There's some baselayers out there that incorporate those already: 

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/bauer-elite-senior-goalie-padded-pants 

My Onerirc has them as well. 

The typical ywllo jock shorts would work fine, just depends on what else you wear with them. 

I'd imagine a base layer, shorts, then goalie jock would just be a lot of bulk. 

Good point about the bulk -  I use the baselayer with the sock tabs now, but was thinking of trying something different. sounds like this would cause another issue altogether. Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, indykrap said:

Good point about the bulk -  I use the baselayer with the sock tabs now, but was thinking of trying something different. sounds like this would cause another issue altogether. Thanks!

There's some baselayers that have cup inserts and velcro tabs. So they'll accomplish essentially what I think you're after. 

I know my Oneric has a jock insert. 

Man, it's too bad they went out of business, I really liked their shit. 

What size are you @coopaloop1234? I've got a size large that I don't really wear if you want them. They're a bit used, but still in good shape.

Right now I'm trying to find a good setup to wear over my more structured/compression shorts (Mcdavid cross compression) whenever I need the extra support. I think I basically wore out the cross compression on my Bauer core pants so I'm not really getting that extra support.

5 minutes ago, indykrap said:

What size are you @coopaloop1234? I've got a size large that I don't really wear if you want them. They're a bit used, but still in good shape.

Right now I'm trying to find a good setup to wear over my more structured/compression shorts (Mcdavid cross compression) whenever I need the extra support. I think I basically wore out the cross compression on my Bauer core pants so I'm not really getting that extra support.

I wear size Large as well. I'd take them off your hands if shipping isn't too rough. Where are you located?