G4 Thread

cwarnar

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm gonna be 40 in a month. My BETTER half told me I can choose the pads I want. I am a Ball / DEK hockey goalie, I always buy used and thanks to all the Gear fanatics, I usually get good deals. I of course won't buy the PRO models, but looking at SR GT pads, but now I see these G4s and wondering if there are any articles or info on comparables?

Now before any of those "isn't that overkill for ball / dek hockey" posts come in, its supposed to be LOL, I'll be 40!

23 minutes ago, cuprajake said:

i use mine for inline, ive actually just added rollerfly.

what pads are you coming out of,?

im not flexible by any means and cant say a bad word about these g4

I specifically play only roller, they are AWESOME

Just the major differences between the two I guess.

Like the landing block, I'd probable add sliders to the pads, so I want to know if those gaps are worth it

the strapping etc.

Ive been reading articles at lunch break though so I am getting a better idea.

On 6/5/2018 at 12:24 PM, havok said:

Just the major differences between the two I guess.

Like the landing block, I'd probable add sliders to the pads, so I want to know if those gaps are worth it

the strapping etc.

Ive been reading articles at lunch break though so I am getting a better idea.

G4 PRO and SR will have a larger landing block specifically. No idea if it helps stability for inline, but I find it does on ice. 

G4 also has the profile lock (a velcro that you can "curve" the pads with). An exaggerated S curve will aid with sealing the butterfly for less flexible people. 

Theoretically, the RGT is the more flexible version (with more torsional flex at the boot), but senior models are usually softer, more flexible than pro models. So a G4 SR will be way softer than a RGT PRO for example. 

Strapping is the exact same, and is personally my favourite strapping system between the brands. Don't know how rebounds react with inline, and you won't be able to take advantage of the new sliding system. 

Just go with the model you can find cheaper, to be honest. They're gonna play probably like 90% the same.

I only have the G3's, but the sling wrap has plenty of space to go tighter or loser. You can also open up the knee block and change how it's attached (it's just velcro sandwiched in there).

So if for whatever reason you didn't have enough slack on it, you could change the attachment point on the knee block. I did that on my set, though it was just to angle it down better to the lower calf attachment point (rather than attach around the knee)

I don't think you should be too concerned. I had also never used any warrior stuff before I picked up the G3's 6 months ago. Big fan now, these pads are fantastic and I can only imagine the G4's are even better. 

50 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

I only have the G3's, but the sling wrap has plenty of space to go tighter or loser. You can also open up the knee block and change how it's attached (it's just velcro sandwiched in there).

@Skinzy the calf wrap design hasn't changed much from the G3/RGT models to the G4. Aside from some softer material around the base of the outside wrap and the ability to lengthen then velcro strap, you'll find as much or as little room as you want in them.

I've been rocking G2s (Sr) for the last 2 years now and have really enjoyed the setup. But it's about that time to get the gear itch, and this time, I'm thinking about diving into a pro custom G4 set. For any folks who have used the offshore Sr. models and the pro model Warriors, would you say the quality difference was significant enough to spring for them? I'd love to play with custom options, but I'm just trying to swallow the $2k price tag. I've read some great things about the G2-->G3 improvements, but just trying to rationalize a switch.

My alternative is to just stick with the blocker/pads and grab a pro trapper since I've not been a huge fan of my G2's stiff closure -- also want to try the 90 break.

12 minutes ago, tenders said:

I've been rocking G2s (Sr) for the last 2 years now and have really enjoyed the setup. But it's about that time to get the gear itch, and this time, I'm thinking about diving into a pro custom G4 set. For any folks who have used the offshore Sr. models and the pro model Warriors, would you say the quality difference was significant enough to spring for them? I'd love to play with custom options, but I'm just trying to swallow the $2k price tag. I've read some great things about the G2-->G3 improvements, but just trying to rationalize a switch.

My alternative is to just stick with the blocker/pads and grab a pro trapper since I've not been a huge fan of my G2's stiff closure -- also want to try the 90 break.

General consensus is that the Warrior Sr gear is the closest to pro as you'll get from any of the major manufacturers. I've had my Sr GT set since launch (1.5 years) and aside from some typical wear and tear, I have had zero issues. I play a decent level and am on the ice anywhere from 2-4 times a week.

If you play more than that, than maybe the extra two grand for the pro gear may be worth it, but honestly I'm a large advocate for going the senior route. Especially since you can get two SR sets for the price of one Pro set. That just means you can scratch the new gear itch more often. 

I'm assuming your G2's are still doing fine, you'll find the same quality with the new Sr Warrior gear as well.

29 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

General consensus is that the Warrior Sr gear is the closest to pro as you'll get from any of the major manufacturers. I've had my Sr GT set since launch (1.5 years) and aside from some typical wear and tear, I have had zero issues. I play a decent level and am on the ice anywhere from 2-4 times a week.

If you play more than that, than maybe the extra two grand for the pro gear may be worth it, but honestly I'm a large advocate for going the senior route. Especially since you can get two SR sets for the price of one Pro set. That just means you can scratch the new gear itch more often. 

I'm assuming your G2's are still doing fine, you'll find the same quality with the new Sr Warrior gear as well.

G2 Sr Gear actually had quite a few issues. There was the off-shore pro and domestic pro for the G2 line - with the G3 Sr they brought it up close to the level of the off-shore G2. I will say if the G2 Sr gear has lasted, then G3/G4 Sr will be of much higher quality. I personally can vouch for this having owned G2 Sr's and now G3 Sr which puck marks aside are immaculate after 8 months of around 4 ice times a week. 

@tenders You'll be fine in Sr. Also I hated my G2 glove, but my G3 glove is pure unadulterated love. 

19 minutes ago, Kayen said:

G2 Sr Gear actually had quite a few issues. There was the off-shore pro and domestic pro for the G2 line - with the G3 Sr they brought it up close to the level of the off-shore G2. I will say if the G2 Sr gear has lasted, then G3/G4 Sr will be of much higher quality. I personally can vouch for this having owned G2 Sr's and now G3 Sr which puck marks aside are immaculate after 8 months of around 4 ice times a week. 

@tenders You'll be fine in Sr. Also I hated my G2 glove, but my G3 glove is pure unadulterated love. 

Definitely good information to know.

Thanks.,

Thanks y'all! My ice time isn't nearly as often, so I'll stick with Sr. My G2s have remained in great shape over the last 2 years -- absolutely no complaints there. The trapper has just always felt a bit off -- never feel confident with the "squeeze", lots of palm bounces. Could definitely be user error, though!

I'll shoot for a G3 glove (might spring for pro!) and see where that gets me. 

2 things i found when comparing the G4 Sr Vs Pro. The first was that the thigh rise in the SR had more torsional flex than the Pro, not huge but over time im sure it will break down a bit quicker.  The second was you're obvioulsy stuck with the stock colorways in the Sr gear.

12 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

2 things i found when comparing the G4 Sr Vs Pro. The first was that the thigh rise in the SR had more torsional flex than the Pro, not huge but over time im sure it will break down a bit quicker.  The second was you're obvioulsy stuck with the stock colorways in the Sr gear.

It's the lack of the 'hypercomp' in the thighrise for the Sr version. So it may suffer from the same breakdown as the G3, but I hope it doesn't.

Also, for whatever reason, the SR versions ditches the nylon knee strap. Forcing you to purchase in afterwards. Their reasoning behind it was pretty poor too.

Archived