G4 Thread

cwarnar

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/2/2018 at 5:39 PM, TheGoalNet said:

seem like the aesthetic of the binding less glove is cleaned up with the newest model

20180423_111506.jpg

How long of a piece of wood are you using to break in your glove here? I've always wondered if it was a standard size (like a players stick plug) or a chopstick or something... lol. I've always just USED my glove to break them in but my Gnetik2 took almost a full year and a skate lace pocket to truly fap. Hoping to shorten that time with my new Snr. R/GT.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:57 PM, DL42 said:

just use a beer can its not rocket science

beer can wasn't/isnt wide enough to keep the pocket fully open.. I always see pics of people using wood pieces so I figured they were standardized or a common length. I ended up finding a wrench that was long enough to make do.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:03 PM, Nadim said:

beer can wasn't/isnt wide enough to keep the pocket fully open.. I always see pics of people using wood pieces so I figured they were standardized or a common length. I ended up finding a wrench that was long enough to make do.

Another good way is to get one of those senior wooden player stick extenders...the edges are nice and rounded so it won't have anything sharp possibly in the glove.

My trick for creating the right size piece of wood to wedge into the glove is to use 2 wooden door/window shims.

Theyre like 50 cents at HomeDepot. You slide the shims up and down to find the right lenght for your glove, then just duct tape them together. You can duct tape the ends too so there's no sharp edges to catch on the glove.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Question for those who've gotten G4 pros: Did your set come with Senior or Pro knee pads? My knee pad set is labelled as senior and also says "not for resale", but I'm wondering if they sent them by mistake. Or Warrior only makes one "level" of knee pad possibly...?

They come with the senior. I received the same set with my pro customs.

7 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Question for those who've gotten G4 pros: Did your set come with Senior or Pro knee pads? My knee pad set is labelled as senior and also says "not for resale", but I'm wondering if they sent them by mistake. Or Warrior only makes one "level" of knee pad possibly...?

Same as @Doobiesnax my GT Pros came with Sr knee pads.  The Ritual Pro knee pads are 4 piece vs 3 on the Senior and likely have some improved build materials.  I don't they would warrant an upgrade

On 8/27/2018 at 5:32 PM, VOGoalie said:

Ha, yeah, I had been messing with my 6000 and G1 strapping way back in like 2011/2012.  Actually, now the G4's are pretty much what I always envisioned!

Anywhere to read up on your 6000 strapping mods?  Trying to get a little more out of mine, but the G4's are really tempting.

• 3 weeks later...

so before xmas i moved from g4 to gt's going for a smaller and slightly softer pad.

one thing i have noticed though is the leg lock wrap thing seems to bind the back of the leg, when you crouch, were as the active drops attachment is softer and im wondering if thats the difference

mit elasticate the top attachment

• 1 month later...

I picked up my custom G4 set over the weekend. They look fantastic. I'm debating on using them for my team's playoff game tonight. 

I have a few question for those of you who have been using the G4s for some time.

1) Have your G4 pads broken down and settled at all. My G4s are 34 +1 but they are the same size as my 34 + 1.5 G1s. 

2) Do you use the nylon strap on the sling wrap or did you remove it altogether? If so, why?

3) Did you ditch the active response toe strap for traditional toe straps or sliding toe bridge? If so, why?

4) Did you ditch the active response heel/boot trap? If so, why?

Thanks in advance! 

20190403_132916.thumb.jpg.80072806ff9c1b28994640e7e1080d70.jpg

42 minutes ago, Patrick Roy's Wink said:

I picked up my custom G4 set over the weekend. They look fantastic. I'm debating on using them for my team's playoff game tonight. 

I have a few question for those of you who have been using the G4s for some time.

1) Have your G4 pads broken down and settled at all. My G4s are 34 +1 but they are the same size as my 34 + 1.5 G1s. 

2) Do you use the nylon strap on the sling wrap or did you remove it altogether? If so, why?

3) Did you ditch the active response toe strap for traditional toe straps or sliding toe bridge? If so, why?

Thanks in advance! 

I have G4 Sr's but I think my answers may still apply.

1. My 33 +1.5 G4srs haven't settled at all. I played well over 60 times this winter. No wear spots or blemishes to speak of either except for puck marks and red paint from the posts.

2. G4 Sr's don't come with the nylon strap and I feel like the pad needs that strap. I've fallen off the knee blocks many times and feel like that strap would have prevented it.

3. I love the ARS toe strap. I was previously wearing Prolaces on my old pads and these felt just as good to me if not better. I love the quick clips.

4. For my first 10 skates, I had the ARS bootstrap off. I could not get a proper seal in the five-hole because the pads were falling too far down for me and my narrow butterfly. I put it back on and used the bootstrap through the skate for 1 game but felt way too locked into the pad for my liking. I settled on the Lundy Loop after that and they held the pads that little bit higher on my skate which I needed and I felt a lot looser in the boot but also in control.

1 hour ago, Patrick Roy's Wink said:

Thanks in advance! 

1.  I have GT Pros... No signs at all for breakdown or settling on the boot.

2.  I don't use the nylon straps, I took mine off.  Velcro only, down to the calf.

3.  Pro Laces in place of the ARS Toes.

4.  No boot strap. They don't do anything with modern pads.  With no boot it allows the pad to sit higher on the leg and better seal on the 5 hole.  It also improves ankle mobility, making it easier to push side-to-side on the ice.

Archived