Please Help a Beginner Goalie Find a Mask

If you have to buy off the shelf, OTNY probably offers the best deal right now and I've never met anyone unhappy with one of those masks.  I've never owned one personally but I've just heard so many good things about Dennis the owner and the quality of the masks.  For example, a local goalie here in Raleigh recently had his OTNY mask stolen out of his truck, Dennis sent him a loaner to use until he could scrape together the cash to get another one.  You just don't get that kind of customer service anymore.

However, I will definitely second Jeff's recommendation and say Protechsport is dollar for dollar the best mask you can get..period.  But it will take around 4-5 months.  My number should be getting called pretty soon.  I ordered in March.

I second the Bauer NME7. I have the same mask right now, but under the Itech brand (Envy 7) before Bauer bought them out. It's a great mid-range mask that has lasted me years. Some chipping after years of use, but that is expected. 

My next upgrade though will be a the newer Bauer 960 XMP, whenever that is. 

On 7/21/2018 at 11:02 PM, creasecollector said:

I second the Bauer NME7. I have the same mask right now, but under the Itech brand (Envy 7) before Bauer bought them out. It's a great mid-range mask that has lasted me years. Some chipping after years of use, but that is expected. 

My next upgrade though will be a the newer Bauer 960 XMP, whenever that is. 

After 7 years that's what I did, got the 960XPM after the NME7...no issues.

On 7/24/2018 at 1:44 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

After 7 years that's what I did, got the 960XPM after the NME7...no issues.

Glad to hear that man! How are you liking your 960XPM so far? 

Experience any noticible differences from going from a mid-range mask to top of the line? Besides the hit on the wallet, of course ?

10 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Glad to hear that man! How are you liking your 960XPM so far? 

Experience any noticible differences from going from a mid-range mask to top of the line? Besides the hit on the wallet, of course ?

Comfort for sure, the NME7 padding was getting hard as F$.....getting hit on the mask is a breeze, you don't even feel it.  It may be a little heavier than the NME7 but more protective for sure.

Can't say enough great things about Sportmask. They are excellent, and have a wide range of models/cages to accommodate anybody. 

Comfy, well-built, easy to deal with.

My understanding has always been that their various price points do not reflect quality or protection, but rather weight. Meaning, their entry level buckets will be of the same quality and protection level as their pro and custom models, but will be slightly heavier. 

Having used Sportmask for years, none of them are actually heavy, but that's essentially what you're saving (weight) when you go high-end with them. 

Archived