Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)

Westcoast Tender

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Same boat but with the 90 degree. 

It's my least favourite break, so I'm not too keen on dropping money on a liner for it when there's a good chance I won't like it. 

I think I'll get at 60 degree palm to try since most of the gloves I prefer now are 60 degree. I've been using 90 since I had a G3 glove and never had a reason to change. 

Wish I hadn't ordered a Pro palm in my HL2 I'd probably like it more

1 minute ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I think I'll get at 60 degree palm to try since most of the gloves I prefer now are 60 degree. I've been using 90 since I had a G3 glove and never had a reason to change. 

Wish I hadn't ordered a Pro palm in my HL2 I'd probably like it more

Just playing around with my 60 liner has it feeling more familiar to my G5 and RGT2. Probably going to influence my decision. 

Probably the same reason why I liked my Mach in the first place was the pocket angle of a 75, but the closure motion of a 60. 

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just playing around with my 60 liner has it feeling more familiar to my G5 and RGT2. Probably going to influence my decision. 

Probably the same reason why I liked my Mach in the first place was the pocket angle of a 75, but the closure motion of a 60. 

And that's the weird part I hated Mach since the pocket was so upright but the break wasn't bad. Definitely prefer 590 shaped gloves and I guess warrior (and vapor 90) is an outlier for me

Edited by ThatCarGuy

8 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

And that's the weird part I hated Mach since the pocket was so upright but the break wasn't bad. Definitely prefer 590 shaped gloves and I guess warrior (and vapor 90) is an outlier for me

I know some people consider Warrior gloves to be 60's. Ingoal stated this, as has Cam from the Hockey Shop in a few conversations I've had with him. 

I can see why that thought can exist as even their stock break isn't a true 75 like a Vaughn or CCM. But kind of this middle ground of both. 

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I know some people consider Warrior gloves to be 60's. Ingoal stated this, as has Cam from the Hockey Shop in a few conversations I've had with him. 

I can see why that thought can exist as even their stock break isn't a true 75 like a Vaughn or CCM. But kind of this middle ground of both. 

I feel warrior gloves have a structured enough break that you can close it however you want which makes them pretty unique. By structured I mean it's very very hard to break a warrior glove in incorrectly to the point it won't shut fully like a 600, SLR2 (and 3), optik series, supreme series, and hyperlite 1

Edited by ThatCarGuy

I'll join in the praises of Warrior gloves. Just picked up this 6.1 beauty from SLS. It came with the Kova wrist strap, I've yet to play with it but I'll share my thoughts once I've had some time with it. It sits pretty low on my wrist as you can see, might have to adjust that. 

Initial thoughts, I'm very happy with it. Solid protection yet snappy closure even for my small man hands. Nice natural closing feel, and very finger driven to lower thumb. Really looking forward to trying it out next week. It's the biggest pocket I've ever seen. It has the stock 75 degree liner. I'm toying with ordering a 90 to see if it's all that different and I'll just return it if not. 

Thanks to all you who gave advice on gloves!

image.png

IMG_4630.png

Edited by IpaddyTECH
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

I'll join in the praises of Warrior gloves. Just picked up this 6.1 beauty from SLS. It came with the Kova wrist strap, I've yet to play with it but I'll share my thoughts once I've had some time with it. It sits pretty low on my wrist as you can see, might have to adjust that. 

Initial thoughts, I'm very happy with it. Solid protection yet snappy closure even for my small man hands. Nice natural closing feel, and very finger driven to lower thumb. Really looking forward to trying it out next week. It's the biggest pocket I've ever seen. It has the stock 75 degree liner. I'm toying with ordering a 90 to see if it's all that different and I'll just return it if not. 

Thanks to all you who gave advice on gloves!

image.png

IMG_4630.png

Glad to see yet another join the dark side.

Just heads up the liner in 6.1 is not replaceable like 6.0. 

16 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Glad to see yet another join the dark side.

Just heads up the liner in 6.1 is not replaceable like 6.0. 

There was a period of time when the G6 first released where you could get, at custom, removable palms for the 6.1 blocker and catcher. 

They stealthily removed the feature from their options. Probably in similar timeframe to them having to get another factory up and running. 

• Like 1

New True Tf9 skates used for the first time tonight, coming from Bauer Vapor 1X. Slightly more forward pitch than the Bauer's but nothing crazy. Baked once in store and then twice at home, and these are easily the most comfortable and well fitting skates I've ever worn. I now believe the hype. 🙏🏻PXL_20230930_033221807.thumb.jpg.4fce6234479ab59f027df55f96fb91cd.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/29/2023 at 9:05 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

There was a period of time when the G6 first released where you could get, at custom, removable palms for the 6.1 blocker and catcher. 

They stealthily removed the feature from their options. Probably in similar timeframe to them having to get another factory up and running. 

I just checked and it's only the wrist pad that is removable, where you fit the kova strap. So mine is a standard sewn in 75 degree liner, which I'm okay with.

Any advice on the break in process? Specifically with getting it to open all the all? It closes pretty nicely already (with an audible snap), but it doesn't open up all the way easily yet. 

23 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

I just checked and it's only the wrist pad that is removable, where you fit the kova strap. So mine is a standard sewn in 75 degree liner, which I'm okay with.

Any advice on the break in process? Specifically with getting it to open all the all? It closes pretty nicely already (with an audible snap), but it doesn't open up all the way easily yet. 

Just use it. Thea break in period with Warrior catchers is extremely minimal to the point that I've always just used their gear immediately in games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just use it. Thea break in period with Warrior catchers is extremely minimal to the point that I've always just used their gear immediately in games. 

I went straight to a main camp with mine a couple days after I took it out of the box. No break in needed

@IpaddyTECH just a heads up Warrior gloves aren't meant to have their tee flattened like most other gloves. This is roughly the shape to go for

a75fa8a41e460ad6bbdc6d8f4231884c.jpg?v=1

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Those are sweet. Let us know how you like their new tongue, debating between that or the traditional t-guard tongue

The new tongue has more segments for flexibility in the skate bite guard, potential for laces to get stuck in there and bite.. The back seems more perforated than the last model and slightly harder on the back. Here's my custom 1 piece from last year vs the new 2 piece boots. 

PXL_20231001_175722873.jpg

PXL_20231001_175700718.jpg

PXL_20231001_175643573.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered these about a month ago from John Brown and they are getting packed up today.  These are the 2100GP pads (older school - late 90s style), and the 1800 blocker/catching glove.  I am so excited to strap these on!  

My back story: I grew up playing in New England in the 80s/90s and played competitively through my first year of college, and then in club/rec leagues through the early 2000s.  My first set of new pads were Browns when I was 13, but then I moved on to some Vaughn's and then Brian's, which I played for 10+ years.  

Anyway, It's been about 18 years since I got out there with any regularity, and so when I decided to start back up again this year I picked up a set of nice used Vaughn V5s (with glove/blocker) for a song, but I absolutely hate the new style pad.  Maybe I could get used to it?  But I don't really want to.  This is beer league after all, and I'm pretty sure my "old school" moves will do just fine at this level.  Time will tell.

I'll post more pics and thoughts once I have them in hand.  

IMG_3964.jpeg

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, kozzy said:

Ordered these about a month ago from John Brown and they are getting packed up today.  These are the 2100GP pads (older school - late 90s style), and the 1800 blocker/catching glove.  I am so excited to strap these on!  

My back story: I grew up playing in New England in the 80s/90s and played competitively through my first year of college, and then in club/rec leagues through the early 2000s.  My first set of new pads were Browns when I was 13, but then I moved on to some Vaughn's and then Brian's, which I played for 10+ years.  

Anyway, It's been about 18 years since I got out there with any regularity, and so when I decided to start back up again this year I picked up a set of nice used Vaughn V5s (with glove/blocker) for a song, but I absolutely hate the new style pad.  Maybe I could get used to it?  But I don't really want to.  This is beer league after all, and I'm pretty sure my "old school" moves will do just fine at this level.  Time will tell.

IMG_3964.jpeg

Nice set. 

Funny seeing someone say the V5 is a modern pad since it's almost 12 years old now, but I get it. If I'm remembering correctly, the V4 was Vaughn's first array from the shredded foam style and the V5 refined that a bit. 

They're still incredibly soft to anything provided now a days, but they still are a butterfly centric pad. 

Let us know how the jump back into playing goes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Nice set. 

Funny seeing someone say the V5 is a modern pad since it's almost 12 years old now, but I get it. If I'm remembering correctly, the V4 was Vaughn's first array from the shredded foam style and the V5 refined that a bit. 

They're still incredibly soft to anything provided now a days, but they still are a butterfly centric pad. 

Let us know how the jump back into playing goes. 

Hah - yeah, goes to show what a dinosaur I am.  Were there two flavors of V5?  The ones I have say V5 on them but do not have any knee rolls or anything - completely flat on the front.  But, they are not super stiff, which is good.  I just hate the way they fit and flop around.  I'm looking forward to having some pads I can strap on tight 🤣

In terms of getting back into it, it's going pretty well.  My first game, I thought I'd torn multiple muscles in my groin/hamstring area in warmups, but after a lot of stretching that proved not to be the case, and I'm feeling good now.  Just a lot of rust.  

18 minutes ago, kozzy said:

Hah - yeah, goes to show what a dinosaur I am.  Were there two flavors of V5?  The ones I have say V5 on them but do not have any knee rolls or anything - completely flat on the front.  But, they are not super stiff, which is good.  I just hate the way they fit and flop around.  I'm looking forward to having some pads I can strap on tight 🤣

In terms of getting back into it, it's going pretty well.  My first game, I thought I'd torn multiple muscles in my groin/hamstring area in warmups, but after a lot of stretching that proved not to be the case, and I'm feeling good now.  Just a lot of rust.  

Yea, there was the 7800 and the 7990. Sounds like you got the 7990. 

The biggest difference between the two is that the 7800 had the knee rolls and was more of a typical velocity pad at the time. The 7990 flattened the knee rolls and "stiffened" the above knee portion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kozzy said:

IMG_3964.jpeg

Looking good. Are those 12” or 11” wide? Are the gloves new spec (smaller) or old spec (huge)?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Looking good. Are those 12” or 11” wide? Are the gloves new spec (smaller) or old spec (huge)?

They are 12" wide pads.  I'm not actually sure about the gloves.  They look a little bigger than the Vaughns I have, which are new spec, I believe.  I will compare when I get them in hand.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:38 PM, froese said:

New True Tf9 skates used for the first time tonight, coming from Bauer Vapor 1X. Slightly more forward pitch than the Bauer's but nothing crazy. Baked once in store and then twice at home, and these are easily the most comfortable and well fitting skates I've ever worn. I now believe the hype. 🙏🏻PXL_20230930_033221807.thumb.jpg.4fce6234479ab59f027df55f96fb91cd.jpg

On 9/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, IpaddyTECH said:

I tried those on once, crazy comfortable yes. Congrats!

I tried those on. Had to go up a size from my Vapors and even went with EE and my toes felt so cramped like I slipped into some ballerina shoes. I thought by the look that the toe box would as wide if not wider than my Vapors but it was not the case. It saddened me. I was excited for these as well.

27 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I tried those on. Had to go up a size from my Vapors and even went with EE and my toes felt so cramped like I slipped into some ballerina shoes. I thought by the look that the toe box would as wide if not wider than my Vapors but it was not the case. It saddened me. I was excited for these as well.

Interesting, that's the opposite of my experience which was I went down a half size from my Vapors! Both regular width. I've found that the toe box has "loosened up" somewhat after a few skates and a few bakes. Sorry it didn't work for your feet - it sounds like it's a bit hit and miss due to how unique people's foot shape is.

• Like 1