Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)

Westcoast Tender

On 10/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, johncho said:

Yeah looking back on it, I was slightly concerned that the toebox on my TF9s were a bit tight, but turns out I could trim the footbed a bit, and as @froese mentioned, they loosened up after about 25~50 skates.

Yeah, last thing I want is my toes to look and feel like the left side -_- 

Blog - ZEREN PT & Performance

6 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

Well my bauers finally came in after 18 weeks. I would like to point out that if you choose the leather straps on the pads that Bauer has made them removable on the calf but not the knee. Going to be a fun winter testing these and my px3's which will be delivered next week. 

IMG_20231013_141556.jpg

Yo, Mr. Moneybags, spread the wealth. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yo, Mr. Moneybags, what do I need to do to get myself a employee discount code from ya? ;) 

Get yourself a part time job at a retailer.😅 I generally let my beer league team use the code for what they need to replace since they have families to support and I don't. Plus the code doesn't work for custom sets, that's a different process. 

13 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

Get yourself a part time job at a retailer.😅 I generally let my beer league team use the code for what they need to replace since they have families to support and I don't. Plus the code doesn't work for custom sets, that's a different process. 

Yo, Mr. Moneybags, why did you have to kill my dream so swiftly? 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

Well my bauers finally came in after 18 weeks. I would like to point out that if you choose the leather straps on the pads that Bauer has made them removable on the calf but not the knee. Going to be a fun winter testing these and my px3's which will be delivered next week. 

IMG_20231013_141556.jpg

Well come on let's see the leather straps on the pads

• Like 2

After deciding my 34+2 Eflex 6 set was just a bit too big, I sold them and replaced them with this 33+1.5 custom set from The Padded Room Source For Sports in London. 

Weave sliding surface, max rebound, no boot strap. The fit is way better and feel nice and dialed in. I've had around 10 skates in them now and loving them. Screenshot_20231014-141229.thumb.png.612c0b2d96af99b2c37779814d2340c4.pngScreenshot_20231014-141232.thumb.png.bc10218f8e59d96960de71176bed438b.pngScreenshot_20231014-141240.thumb.png.85fd9db1eada9cd1f5e84edb81f6db8f.png

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

You current generation 'tenders might just be coming around. First its leather straps, then shorter and softer pads. What's next, catching a puck whilst standing up?

Your bodies will love you for this ........ maybe.🙄

You jest, but you're entirely correct, as you likely are already aware. The modern game is extremely hard on the hips (and associated ligaments). There are goaltenders my age (under 25) getting hip replacements and dealing with other serious hip-related issues. They may have achieved that "sick butterfly flare" (that has much less bearing on how many pucks will be stopped than some believe) but at what cost? Maybe Giguere was on to something with his signature "jiggy fly". 

Bringing this back to equipment in an attempt to not stray too far off topic, but my equipment bag resembles something that was swiped from a locker room back in 2012. I never thought I'd end up being that guy wearing "ancient" (allegedly) equipment but what is also somewhat humorous is not only the realization of how little bearing what equipment equipment you are wearing (within reason) relates to success, and that they all do the same thing, just in different ways. Sometimes we forget how little what we wear has to do with the equation.

I'd post a photo of my equipment, but short of "downgrading" to a pair of 11 year old Graf 7500's last year (for $120!), nothing has changed 🤣 aside from the fact that my skating is better than it has ever been. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bildeer said:

but what is also somewhat humorous is not only the realization of how little bearing what equipment equipment you are wearing (within reason) relates to success,

What is this blasphemy? 

It's all well known that unless you have the latest and greatest pro stock gear, with all the new technology, then you're going to suffer immensely when playing in beer leagues. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, bildeer said:

You jest, but you're entirely correct, as you likely are already aware. The modern game is extremely hard on the hips (and associated ligaments). There are goaltenders my age (under 25) getting hip replacements and dealing with other serious hip-related issues. They may have achieved that "sick butterfly flare" (that has much less bearing on how many pucks will be stopped than some believe) but at what cost? Maybe Giguere was on to something with his signature "jiggy fly". 

Bringing this back to equipment in an attempt to not stray too far off topic, but my equipment bag resembles something that was swiped from a locker room back in 2012. I never thought I'd end up being that guy wearing "ancient" (allegedly) equipment but what is also somewhat humorous is not only the realization of how little bearing what equipment equipment you are wearing (within reason) relates to success, and that they all do the same thing, just in different ways. Sometimes we forget how little what we wear has to do with the equation.

I'd post a photo of my equipment, but short of "downgrading" to a pair of 11 year old Graf 7500's last year (for $120!), nothing has changed 🤣 aside from the fact that my skating is better than it has ever been. 

Ahh yes, the glory years of late teens early 20's when equipment didn't matter. I have a feint memory of that, when mismatched gear was acceptable, a 10 pound Cooper glove snagged pucks, and Ed Belfour's old DR pads from his days at UND were cool even though they were held together with tape. 

But yeah, now I'm in my mid-late 40's and I'll take every fucking advantage I can that brand new gear will afford me 😂😂Screenshot_20231014-210550.thumb.png.871564dd3b3261fd91b04dda15b7a41c.png

• Like 4

Hell, we aren't even beer league. How about a post game coffee, bran muffin and a midday nap? My 70+ team plays at 11:15, 3 mornings a week. The turnout is great, enjoyment level high and competitive nature off the charts.

Sure we are as old as the hills but who would have thought that we would be playing at this stage of our lives? 

I was told as a youth, "stay on your feet, do not attempt to play the puck and attack the shooter by cutting down the angle." I am 5'7", would never be allowed to play in the nets in today's world.

Admittedly, today's goalies fill way more of the net than my contemporaries, but you folks pay a price for that.

Old Guys rant over. Y'all stop way more pucks than us but ........

I wish every one of you 60+ years of playing goal.

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

You current generation 'tenders might just be coming around. First its leather straps, then shorter and softer pads. What's next, catching a puck whilst standing up?

Your bodies will love you for this ........ maybe.🙄

Wait, we're allowed to stand up?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bildeer said:

May I ask what improved your skating?

2 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

Hell, we aren't even beer league. How about a post game coffee, bran muffin and a midday nap? My 70+ team plays at 11:15, 3 mornings a week. The turnout is great, enjoyment level high and competitive nature off the charts.

Sure we are as old as the hills but who would have thought that we would be playing at this stage of our lives? 

I was told as a youth, "stay on your feet, do not attempt to play the puck and attack the shooter by cutting down the angle." I am 5'7", would never be allowed to play in the nets in today's world.

Admittedly, today's goalies fill way more of the net than my contemporaries, but you folks pay a price for that.

Old Guys rant over. Y'all stop way more pucks than us but ........

I wish every one of you 60+ years of playing goal.

There you go again, Wonder, making me proud to be a mature goaltender.  And, remind the youth here that you were 5'9" in your prime...

• Like 1