2018/2019 Beer League Discussion

coopaloop1234

Lol nice. Which team was that? Dont recognize the jerseys. Last winter/fall we got knocked out of the playoffs in a shootout in the semi finals that went about 10 players deep. 1 goal each before I got beat high blocker on the last shot. Sucked to lose, but a pretty epic 3-2 loss. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Definitely the first one, could be partly the second one too though :idk:
It costs almost $400/player/season here depending on how many players we have.  Combine that with having a 13 month old and a soul sucking wife and I am stuck playing with only one team unless I get asked to fill in lol.

Starting to see that trend down here now...they want goalies to pay for everything.  Big change over the last few years from what it used to be.  So, I'm looking at becoming a full-time sub because there's usually plenty of free fill in opportunities and I don't have to commit to a season.

I'm in the process of replacing every single piece of gear I own, including my bag. Everything has just started to either come loose, or is no longer suitable for my preferences. I picked up a set of Brian's A-Lite pads and mitts, but...

I still need:

• Undergarments
  • Jock
  • Knee pads
  • Pants
  • Chest
  • Sticks
  • Bag
  • (Mask, if possible)

We have a spring league that starts in April for ball hockey, but we also played winter league last year (starts in November.) I'm trying to convince our captain to skip winter league in order to buy myself more time to get all of my gear taken care of. I wouldn't have proposed it if he wasn't already on the fence, but I am trying to wear his ass down!

9 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

Starting to see that trend down here now...they want goalies to pay for everything.  Big change over the last few years from what it used to be.  So, I'm looking at becoming a full-time sub because there's usually plenty of free fill in opportunities and I don't have to commit to a season.

Man, it's extremely rare for a goalie to have to pay anything around here. I've offered to chip in 100$ or so a couple of times but have mostly been denied.

I couldn't imagine being forced to pay.

23 minutes ago, Flyers27 said:

Lol nice. Which team was that? Dont recognize the jerseys. Last winter/fall we got knocked out of the playoffs in a shootout in the semi finals that went about 10 players deep. 1 goal each before I got beat high blocker on the last shot. Sucked to lose, but a pretty epic 3-2 loss. 

Chubby Beavers

That's especially shitty since the team you lost to got swept in the finals

This summer I joined the ASHL. I got to pay half price but since I'm new to the league I got place into E division (individual team too). I ended up bringing my team to the championship just to be destroyed. 

My teammates asked me to play on their winter team so now I'm hyped. Even got to pick my Jersey number! Now I got to register for college intramurals when the time comes.

Our season starts next month, really looking forward to it! Will be in Div3 as a goalie, returning to the team we won the championship with last year. Other team will be Div2 where I skate out (hopefully will get back on the same team, but it's always up in the air when there's a round robin draft).

Far as costs go, it's $410 per player and $205 per goalie. So not as expensive as some other places.

9 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Definitely the first one, could be partly the second one too though :idk:
It costs almost $400/player/season here depending on how many players we have.  Combine that with having a 13 month old and a soul sucking wife and I am stuck playing with only one team unless I get asked to fill in lol.

Your wife isn't involved in your hockey or read your shit does she...lolllll

Past 3-4 years I've been playing with a regular squad on every second Saturday during winter. In the span of 6 years I went from competitive league (which I miss like crazy) to subbing here and there to barely anything. Then, got picked up by my Saturday gang and was playing sub for 3 other groups in the same 2 years, so 2-3 games a week. But last year was quiet again and only played my Saturdays. Hopefully it'll pick up again this season. If I had my own wheels I'd be back in full leagues again. Getting around from rink to rink is a challenge cause of that.

I was married 10 years, had 3 kids and managed to play some. Became a full time single parent for 10 years and still managed to play some and got into coaching. It's possible if you try.

As for work schedules, that's a bigger challenge. Wish I had regular set hours like government.

Here, Gatineau/Ottawa, if you get into an official beer league, you have to pay your share. Some leagues will cut it in half, others will ask full price. If you sub though, it's no charge.

Both competitive rec men’s leagues & beer league = paid share of team fees (approx. $400 for winter season)

Senior A = Team picks up all related fees, travel, etc.

Subbing = Always free... usually comes with a couple of free beers as well. 

17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Definitely. Fun locker room.

Pic below is when we spanked them in the finals. :P

IMG_20140729_203049.thumb.jpg.9b1617b78a49a924b7f6a473066e9b4d.jpg

Do you still play on this team?  Still use those jerseys?

16 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

Yea its always been like that for as long as I can remember.  We don't pay for fill in duty or pickup games but league teams its very rare that you get to play for free.

16 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

Don't forget to have 3 kids

Unless my second comes out with a twin I will never have 3.  2 is my limit, and that's only because I don't want my son to be a lonely only child.  

10 hours ago, RichMan said:

Your wife isn't involved in your hockey or read your shit does she...lolllll

Haha nah.  She's really not bad at all, I make it sound much worse than it is.

17 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Unless my second comes out with a twin I will never have 3.  2 is my limit, and that's only because I don't want my son to be a lonely only child. 

Wise, buddy. I have 2 myself (boy and girl - millionaire family, but without the matching paycheck). IMHO, two is where it's at - they can entertain each other, too, which is really nice. Although 2 is still plenty to fuck up your shit semi-regularly, so it's not a cake-walk if you stop shy of 3 - lol!

10 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Wise, buddy. I have 2 myself (boy and girl - millionaire family, but without the matching paycheck). IMHO, two is where it's at - they can entertain each other, too, which is really nice. Although 2 is still plenty to fuck up your shit semi-regularly, so it's not a cake-walk if you stop shy of 3 - lol!

Oh I know it won't be a cakewalk in the slightest.  My 1st is only gonna be 14 months next week.  He'll be 21 months when the second is born.  Its gonna suck having a newborn and a toddler.

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Oh I know it won't be a cakewalk in the slightest.  My 1st is only gonna be 14 months next week.  He'll be 21 months when the second is born.  Its gonna suck having a newborn and a toddler.

Shit dude - that's exactly the difference between my two kids! It was a bit rough going there for the first bit after my daughter was born, but afterwards it was great to have them so close together in age. My wife and I are thrilled now at the proximity. Congrats again to you and your (not so) soul-sucking wife!

5 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Shit dude - that's exactly the difference between my two kids! It was a bit rough going there for the first bit after my daughter was born, but afterwards it was great to have them so close together in age. My wife and I are thrilled now at the proximity. Congrats again to you and your (not so) soul-sucking wife!

Thanks haha.  Yea we knew it would be a challenge in the beginning but we're looking forward to them being so close.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea I do.

Here are us in our alternates. Clearly older pictures as I was still in my Vaughn setup.

Hmmm, ok.  I thought the green looked more neonish.  I was gonna say I have a set of, I think, 10 brand new pairs of socks that are neon green with black and grey stripes.  Looked like they would have matched the jerseys in that first picture but probably not the second picture.  I was gonna say if your team was interested they're yours if you just pay the shipping for them.  

12 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Hmmm, ok.  I thought the green looked more neonish.  I was gonna say I have a set of, I think, 10 brand new pairs of socks that are neon green with black and grey stripes.  Looked like they would have matched the jerseys in that first picture but probably not the second picture.  I was gonna say if your team was interested they're yours if you just pay the shipping for them.  

See the socks of the guy on the left in the second picture? That's a better representation of the colour of our main jerseys. The first picture was just dark.

Archived