"But you said..."

BadAngle41

"Better get these now... might be the last set I'll ever buy." - @BadAngle41 early 2015

Once my wife and I found out we were having twins back in 2015 I thought best to get a good custom set of pads etc before they're born because who knows when I'll be buying my next set. Of course all of us know that I will eventually need another set... and in fact I've started looking at the opposite spectrum to what I have now on SidelineSwap etc. for a used pair just to see if I like some of the newer stuff. Seeing Spencer Martin's San Antonio Rampage set on there got me excited actually... I mean a dark based 2S set... that is only marginally too large for me...

So I shot my wife the link jokingly (as they're listed at $2300 USD) and to my surprise she replied saying "I thought you said the ones you have now would be the 'last set you'll ever buy.'" See what she did there... took the last part of what I said and only remembered it. Now I have purchased other new gear since the kids were born... a whole bunch in fact. I've even had some mods & minor repairs done on my current set of pads. But for any of you who have a spouse who didn't grow up around hockey... a bit of advice when buying new gear... don't say what I said above.

I got into a weird situation the other week, where I texted my wife before going into my local store: "if the owner is in, and I can get a really good deal from him like I did with my pads, are you OK if I get a new blocker and trapper set? Or should I not even look, and just get my skates sharpened and leave?"

She said "Ok, go for it. What am i gonna do with you... then a smiley face or something"

I decided not to pull the trigger that day. I texted her that I didn't get them. She was still mad at me for putting her in a position to feel like she had to be OK with it, even though we had said I'd wait until December. I clarified, saying "so I didn't buy anything, and you're still mad at me?" She said yes. Should have bought them then and there - LOL!

I should clarify that my wife is the biggest reason, and biggest supporter of me trying out this position; it's not all doom, gloom and nagging! ;)

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean, you decided to have kids.

Everyone knows that new gear > new people.

Agreed. I mean I was ok w/ having a kid... but 2 at once? No one ran that past me first.

6 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

The retort I give my wife is “you have over 300 pair of shoes; what’s the difference?”

That's pretty much what I said. Having a nice pair of shoes doesn't mean they're not gonna wear out. (Still not getting the Spencer Martin set though.)

7 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I got into a weird situation the other week, where I texted my wife before going into my local store: "if the owner is in, and I can get a really good deal from him like I did with my pads, are you OK if I get a new blocker and trapper set? Or should I not even look, and just get my skates sharpened and leave?"

She said "Ok, go for it. What am i gonna do with you... then a smiley face or something"

I decided not to pull the trigger that day. I texted her that I didn't get them. She was still mad at me for putting her in a position to feel like she had to be OK with it, even though we had said I'd wait until December. I clarified, saying "so I didn't buy anything, and you're still mad at me?" She said yes. Should have bought them then and there - LOL!

I should clarify that my wife is the biggest reason, and biggest supporter of me trying out this position; it's not all doom, gloom and nagging! ;)

Hahahaha... yeah. Sometimes it's the whole ask for forgiveness not permission. But my wife is the same way... I play 3+ nights a week which means most of those nights I'm not helping get the kids down etc... and I have bought a bunch of new stuff... which makes it all the more curious as to why new pads would be line? I mean I spent used set money on a chesty alone. 

Ha, this is great.

My response to my partners "more gear?!?! " is typically "it's the one thing in life if do and enjoy and like spending money on.  How can you deprive me of my ONE thing?"

And I say it all dramatically, ha.

We also have no kids and mostly keep our finances separate.

41 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha, this is great.

My response to my partners "more gear?!?! " is typically "it's the one thing in life if do and enjoy and like spending money on.  How can you deprive me of my ONE thing?"

And I say it all dramatically, ha.

We also have no kids and mostly keep our finances separate.

The drama is a nice touch... like you're clinging on to life by this one thread of hope... hockey.

I think for my wife it isn't so much the financial piece... it's that she isn't used to a revolving door of gear... how the purchases (small or large) never stop. Like I said... she didn't grow up with it around her. If one (or both) of the kids end up playing... I'll be even worse. Just buying as needed. 

On 10/1/2018 at 11:03 AM, BadAngle41 said:

"Better get these now... might be the last set I'll ever buy." - @BadAngle41 early 2015

Once my wife and I found out we were having twins back in 2015 I thought best to get a good custom set of pads etc before they're born because who knows when I'll be buying my next set. Of course all of us know that I will eventually need another set... and in fact I've started looking at the opposite spectrum to what I have now on SidelineSwap etc. for a used pair just to see if I like some of the newer stuff. Seeing Spencer Martin's San Antonio Rampage set on there got me excited actually... I mean a dark based 2S set... that is only marginally too large for me...

So I shot my wife the link jokingly (as they're listed at $2300 USD) and to my surprise she replied saying "I thought you said the ones you have now would be the 'last set you'll ever buy.'" See what she did there... took the last part of what I said and only remembered it. Now I have purchased other new gear since the kids were born... a whole bunch in fact. I've even had some mods & minor repairs done on my current set of pads. But for any of you who have a spouse who didn't grow up around hockey... a bit of advice when buying new gear... don't say what I said above.

Married...with children.

That show has aged terribly.

Insider tip: I got a mask and paint cleared by my better half when i told her the the kids’ initials would be on the backplate ?

14 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Married...with children.

That show has aged terribly.

Insider tip: I got a mask and paint cleared by my better half when i told her the the kids’ initials would be on the backplate ?

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha, well played.

I got my, my partner's, and our dog's initials embroidered on my recent custom order.

I've employed that trick already on the chesty... first initial of my wife and each of kids on the sternum pad... protecting my heart. ?️♥️

I've honestly been very lucky, and very reasonable with my purchases, leading to an ease of acceptance of said purchases with the significant other!

When I got back into it about 5 years ago I bought literally the cheapest pair of pads I could find (Bauer One.5), coupled with One.7 gloves because I was willing to spend a little extra if it meant feeling less stinger in the hands.  I hated the catcher because of the thumb configuration and ended up ordering a discounted set of Reebok P4 gloves to see if I was going to like them any better.  I loved the catcher, hated the balance of blocker, so sold the Reebok blocker and Bauer catcher.

I also bought an entry level NME3 which was eventual upgraded to a Profile 940 (the good ones, before they decide to go full plastic with the newer version).  Again, bought it discounted while they were getting rid of the older ones just prior to the 940X hitting the shelves.

Been lucky enough to buy a pair of skates I'm comfortable in.  I could most likely find something more comfortable but as long as I don't invest in something else my body doesn't know "more comfortable" exists, so these cut it just fine!

I've upgraded my chest protector twice, always finding good deals in the second hand department and modding them to achieve a good level of protection.  So much so, that I don't see myself upgrading that piece anytime soon.

I still have to run a mask paint by her at some point though!

Goaltending is my first passion, my girlfriend knows this and she lets me do what I need to feed my love. It's my significant others that are a pain in my ass (rent, hydro, phone, food) lollll.

My kids are adults now and care for themselves. I can focus on my own needs and be responsible for my own financial demise :P  

• 2 weeks later...

My position on goalie gear is the same as Clinton's with regard to the military -- Don't Ask, Don't Tell.  The trick is to make sure my wife doesn't see all the gear in one place at the same time.  "why do you need 3 masks, you only have one head?"  "why do you need four chest protectors?"  "why do you need three jocks?"

To be fair, on the last one, she has a point. 

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

My position on goalie gear is the same as Clinton's with regard to the military -- Don't Ask, Don't Tell.  The trick is to make sure my wife doesn't see all the gear in one place at the same time.  "why do you need 3 masks, you only have one head?"  "why do you need four chest protectors?"  "why do you need three jocks?"

To be fair, on the last one, she has a point. 

Thats why all the stuff is in the goalie room, in the basement, in the UNFINISHED part of the basement, and she NEVER, EVER ventures down there. Hee, hee!!

We live in a 100 year old house where my equipment (all in a carry bag, nothing loose) gets emptied out and dried in the basement. The boss does not go down there unless absolutely forced. She also does not regularly attend my games, only choosing to go to the championship ones if at all.

I use a combination of strategies. For smaller items or things not usually seen, I just bring it down there and I am home free. For larger items or major things seen from the stands, I either wait until she buys something extravagant and then plant the seed that I will be acquiring something new, I downplay the cost and sell on the value, or I just tell her, my money, my deal. Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission (obviously does not apply to all situations).

We are DINKs, so it isn't hard to get away with what I want regarding hockey. After all, she is another person with like 300 pairs of shoes and excessive bullshit that seldom gets used. She is super into makeup and has a ridiculous amount of palettes which, if added up, cost way more than my items ever did. As far as I am concerned, I bust my ass at work and if I choose to change anything hockey-related (or guitar-related), my decision.

I also tend to keep and use the same things for quite a while, so it isn't like I am changing my sets constantly. I recently ordered my first new mask in like 10 years and my old one is a little thrashed on the paint. I told her that it was happening regardless if she wanted it or not. I also told her that she was going to plaster mold my face which she was super into.

One more funny tidbit...I worked an angle where I joked that I was stopping "to pick up my custom skates" from the pro shop. She got a little upset when I told her that the CCM pro skates with the scan and custom are over 1000$. She then found out that I was kidding. After she bought a few not-needed items later-on, I mentioned that I will be swinging by to get my skates again. She laughed and said fair enough, we don't have kids. I didn't follow through. I did warn her that some day, I may come home with skates. The option is out there.

Archived