Removing dangler for added head mobility

It is personal preference and you are exposing yourself to the potential of getting dinged in the throat collar bone region more.

Personally I used to wear both a dangler and neck guard for a long time, only now switching to just a neckguard, as soon as I did, I got nailed in throat 4 times, but the neckguard did its job.  

Depending on what mask I use, I may or may not put a dangler on.  Long chin wall, no.  Mage or combo, yes.

I wore a dangler my entire life.  Then one day I got my mask back from the painter and didn't have time to put a dangler back on before my skate that same day.  A few days later I skated again but this time with a dangler back on and what bothered me the most was the noise it makes! I never noticed how much (previously) I was able to tune out the clink-clanking going on.  From that point on I have never gone back to the dangler.  

Neck Guard: Neck guards were not my favorite thing to wear because of how they move around and sometimes ride up.  What I started to do was wear the neck guard beneath my undershirt while playing.  It keeps the neck guard down & in place at all times.  Never rides up or twists around.  Simply put, by putting it beneath my undershirt rather than on top I do not notice I'm wearing it at all.  It's great.

42 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

How are you guys wearing your dangler that causes interference? Once I had mine dialed in, I've never had it get hung up or interfered with.

....in way that bothers you.....to finish your thought.

I wear a dangler too.  I have my whole life.  It absolutely makes contact with shoulders and sternum in a way that your mask by itself would not without one.

The question is: does that bother you?  For me, definitely not.  For some, definitely so.   It is absolutely the case that you have more mobility without one. 

Same with the noise.   A dangler makes more noise than not having one.  There are a few ways to dampen the noise;  I use car door liner on the chin on my mask.

Speaking of bothering....neck guards make me feel suffocated/claustrophobic, so I don't wear one.  Wearing one is better from a protection point of view, but for me it's not worth it.

@Peter36 you just have to take your personal preferences and weigh out the pros of cons of either piece of gear.

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

....in way that bothers you.....to finish your thought.

I wear a dangler too.  I have my whole life.  It absolutely makes contact with shoulders and sternum in a way that your mask by itself would not without one.

The question is: does that bother you?  For me, definitely not.  For some, definitely so.   It is absolutely the case that you have more mobility without one. 

Same with the noise.   A dangler makes more noise than not having one.  There are a few ways to dampen the noise;  I use car door liner on the chin on my mask.

Speaking of bothering....neck guards make me feel suffocated/claustrophobic, so I don't wear one.  Wearing one is better from a protection point of view, but for me it's not worth it.

@Peter36 you just have to take your personal preferences and weigh out the pros of cons of either piece of gear.

The noise isn’t a problem for me. However, I find it hard to track pucks down low in a scramble sometimes (if it is directly beneath me), or when the puck is behind the net there is resistance/interference from the dangler. I’ve never taken a shot the collarbone before, but I’ve also always worn a dangler/neck guard. Also, would a Bauer neck guard offer enough protection by itself? I’m sort of looking into upgrading it anyways, so what would offer the most protection without a dangler? (Excluding the crazy expensive Maltese like ones)

1 hour ago, Peter36 said:

The noise isn’t a problem for me. However, I find it hard to track pucks down low in a scramble sometimes (if it is directly beneath me), or when the puck is behind the net there is resistance/interference from the dangler. I’ve never taken a shot the collarbone before, but I’ve also always worn a dangler/neck guard. Also, would a Bauer neck guard offer enough protection by itself? I’m sort of looking into upgrading it anyways, so what would offer the most protection without a dangler? (Excluding the crazy expensive Maltese like ones)

Excellent questions.....I have no idea, personally.  Zero experience with neck guards.

1 hour ago, Peter36 said:

18 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Excellent questions.....I have no idea, personally.  Zero experience with neck guards.

Ok, hopefully someone else knows.

A goalie neck guard that is certified and sized properly should offer enough protection but there are other factors like a properly sized C&A and the style of your mask. I haven’t worn a dangler since I was a kid and I’ve never had any issues other than a few minor bruises over the years. In Canada you should look for a BNQ certified goalie neck guard. Not sure but I don’t think they have the same certification process for neck guards if you’re in the States. 

I’d probably look into upgrading your neckguard, preferably to paw or eco, I wear an eco and it’s excellent, haven’t worn a paw but have heard nothing but good things about their neckguard. I’ve been out of a dangler for almost a year now and I’ve never looked back for your issues states above. Unless you have a ridiculously short chin on your mask you should be okay with a higher level neckguard. Some shots do sting but I guarantee without it I’d probably be seriously injured

When I started playing 8 years ago I wasn't even thinking dangler. Plus I started to tuck my chesty and it rids up to my neck and protects me, does it's job. I do wear Bauer Vapor neck guard but in 8 years I can't say that I was hit in the wrong spot.  I know guys with no dangler or guard. 

Just a few small pieces of soft sided Velcro will dampen the noise of a dangler.  I suppose if I had a sweet paint job i'd be reluctant or have to find a close colored Velcro.  But I have a black mask and a few strategically placed pieces will silence the clanking.  That being said once I got a Maltese and had a dangler explode I decided not to replace it and just go with the neck guard.  As Maltese is no longer available, a new company that makes a similar gel combo would be my recommendation. 

1 minute ago, CJ Boiss said:

Neck guards are better than nothing for impact absorption, some can be quite good even, but all they do is cushion the impact to your throat; danglers, properly worn, keep the impact from ever reaching it. 

Do you think a Vaughn VPC 7000 would be enough protection without a dangler?

12 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I don't know about that particular neck guard. As far as I can tell, the high density foams are in the clavicle/collarbone protection, and not in the part that wraps around your neck. That part appears to be Kevlar over soft internals.

If I was to start wearing a neck guard, it would be (ironically) for the clavicle/collarbone protection moreso than the neck protection. I don't, because I don't like how much warmer I feel when I wear a neck guard under my CA, and because my CA has more than enough protection over my upper chest and shoulders.

If I was to wear a neck guard without a dangler then I would buy something with D3o (or equivalent non-Newtonian material) in the part covering my neck. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise.

19 hours ago, Peter36 said:

what would offer the most protection without a dangler? (Excluding the crazy expensive Maltese like ones)

That's exactly what I wear now that I've removed the dangler.  I wouldn't have gotten rid of it with anything less.  As I said to my wife, the Maltese was cheaper than our insurance deductible/what I'd pay at the ER to deal with a broken collarbone.

7 hours ago, Peter36 said:

No.

13 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

In conjunction with a dangler, sure.  But solo?  I'd want more padding between my collarbone and a puck.

Always wore mine solo. Never found it to be detrimental to my protection in the clavicle/neck area.

I definitely won't say it's a top tier neck protection, but I found it more that suitable for most goaltending.

56 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Define expensive. 

What is the most you'd spend?

Tbh idk (I’m not the one paying for my gear right now). This summer I have gotten a lot of new gear though because I outgrew my old stuff. I would love one of those RoughNeck ones but they are so expensive for a neck guard.

Archived