2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably more of a general Brian's question than Optik specific... but since the @TheGoalNet reviews, I've really become more and more aware of how much my current blocker is well... just a blocker. Sort clunky, doesn't really have a responsive fit etc etc etc. Consequently I'm mulling over a custom blocker... Simple and defeats many of the colorway options available but it would potentially match my current set... assuming Retro Tan at Brain's matches Retro Tan at CCM. Can anyone offer any thoughts/opinions on the subject? I'm open to other blockers as well... have a Vaughn V7 that I tried on the other day... it was pretty good as well.

image.png.fc29b63d008c8bcc2fef2975cc0be793.png5a0465a86b357_PorterMod(04).jpg.b3ca580228f3bcbfdedb79181a5845e8.jpg

@BadAngle41 - So far, I don't have any complaints on the blocker. Can't go wrong with Optik. If you want other options, I would look at V7 or Bauer. Bauer will not do a tan though. 

If you go custom with V7, request extra carbon and that supposedly gives hotter rebounds 

In terms of style, if you are ordering custom... I would request the classic Brian's wordmark / half star or a waffle board. Either would add major style points to your Retroflex pads 

You could go like early 80s style and get a colored waffle board that doesn't match your brown pads or glove at all too! 

bester.jpg

bester.jpg

1b65ce78d0e892cb0dec9a314beaee57.jpg

@FIFTY-SIX has a filthy blocker where the Brian's logo is on a tag like the Bourdon above 

So I assume if one wants Primo on the sliding surfaces (for maximum Optislide), then the only choices are the black, white, and grey on the customizer?

I've been messing around with retro sets for fun and this is as close as I've gotten to a "clean" looking retro set using black Primo on the sliding surfaces.

OPTD5a046c2b99ac0-pads.png

22 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@BadAngle41 - So far, I don't have any complaints on the blocker. Can't go wrong with Optik. If you want other options, I would look at V7 or Bauer. Bauer will not do a tan though. 

If you go custom with V7, request extra carbon and that supposedly gives hotter rebounds 

In terms of style, if you are ordering custom... I would request the classic Brian's wordmark / half star or a waffle board. Either would add major style points to your Retroflex pads 

You could go like early 80s style and get a colored waffle board that doesn't match your brown pads or glove at all too! 

@FIFTY-SIX has a filthy blocker where the Brian's logo is on a tag like the Bourdon above 

I think I know the set @FIFTY-SIX has... i drooled over these images...

5a0476cd090b0_SZ2Retro.jpg.fd00832c4ca45e22da1ee7ab37a1daad.jpg

@Brians_Joz... is Brian's doing custom graphics like this on Optiks?

18 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

@TheGoalNet not sure i'm down w/ the all white... but I could be convinced to be a member of the black tape crew. 

I only support white set ups on Price and early 90s Flyers goalies. The white with black trim always's looked clean. You need straps, bindings, etc to pull off the look. 

13 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I only support white set ups on Price and early 90s Flyers goalies. The white with black trim always's looked clean. You need straps, bindings, etc to pull off the look. 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Friends don't let friends buy white goalie pads.

Agreed on both, and while I'm not all about making my pads as light as possible, and as nice of a touch as the faux straps are, I'd pass. Then I'd be left with just white. Meh. 

I think what I really need to do is take advantage of my sister having a baby this weekend and head up to Chicago to try on more blockers to nail down what I like... then worry about how i'd work with graphics. Not to take away from the Koho, it works just fine, but twists more on my wrist than I'd like. Not to mention, it by no means was the benchmark for blocker design or innovation when it was made. Simply matched my glove.   

35 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I think what I really need to do is take advantage of my sister having a baby this weekend and head up to Chicago to try on more blockers to nail down what I like... then worry about how i'd work with graphics. Not to take away from the Koho, it works just fine, but twists more on my wrist than I'd like. Not to mention, it by no means was the benchmark for blocker design or innovation when it was made. Simply matched my glove.   

If you are not aware, you can check the Pure Hockey (Total Hockey) website to see what gear is in stock. I would check to see which locations carry Optik. Might be slim pickings as the 1-2 launch sets can sell quick. 

23 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I have the opportunity to try a set, but it's just for one day. Debating whether I'd rather use my pads that I know and am comfortable with, or if I want to give the Optik a try knowing that I can't buy them even if I love them. 

Or you may find that your Passeau's are exactly the pad for you.

That sword cuts both ways. :P

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I have the opportunity to try a set, but it's just for one day. Debating whether I'd rather use my pads that I know and am comfortable with, or if I want to give the Optik a try knowing that I can't buy them even if I love them. 

I would love another opinion on OptiSlide. Would be more interesting to hear the opinion of someone who is not used to it. 

19 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Punisher Goalie did you try on the Optik gloves? 

Palm on Optik blCoker is about the size of the old intermediate 

@TheGoalNet no I haven't. Going to need to do that before considering placing an order. Most senior gloves are big on me and its very tough to close trappers (currently in G3netik Pro), but obviously I don't want to get anything that's too small.

Archived