2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

23 hours ago, GoalieCustomizer said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I use the cuff a surprising amount for rebound control.  My last game there were at least 3 instances of making a shoulder save and the rebound dropping down into the cuff of the blocker for a whistle.  Could just be the way I make those saves but it happens all the time.

Had it happen it a couple times... similarly, when I wore loose pads with leather straps, I had that happen all the time with pucks getting stuck in my pad 

PS - Welcome!!! You should start a thread showing off your mock ups, pad designs, and/or mask art 

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/23/2017 at 6:40 PM, braedub90 said:

Will the FLX version of the OPTIK still produce big rebounds like the FLY model, even though it has the softer foams? 

i had the same question, rebounds are supposed to be the same 

I believe the face is the same and that's why the rebounds will be indentical 

Here's the IG story from today's skate

On 10/23/2017 at 7:28 PM, TheGoalNet said:

i had the same question, rebounds are supposed to be the same 

I believe the face is the same and that's why the rebounds will be identical

Thanks! Excited to put in my order in the next few days. I'm really digging the Matte/Weave combo that you have, and will be kind of incorporating that into my scheme:

optik_pad.thumb.png.2de4fdc4c4cfbedd4ec06295787040d8.png

optik_blocker.thumb.png.ba968ab6e9d515d6a967347eeabec6da.png

optik_catcher.thumb.png.d91425165022cd464068e234ca9ca8b8.png

Great video on the leg pads. Glad to see Brian’s upgraded the Smart Toe Strap design. I used the stock set (older gen) on my Sub Zero 3s but the Velcro on one failed about an hour in to the session. Looked like it go too much moisture/ice in there. Wouldn’t really hold at all after that. I swapped to a set of Monster HALs I have for now but would consider trying the new version of the Brian’s. I like how the Primo at the toe is durable for post-play.

@CJ17 - Welcome and thanks for joining! 

I had not skated with the SZ glove before, only the GNetik. I had tried the glove on a million time though... so I can help a bit 

1. The dual hinge on the break allows me to overlap the break seam when closing it. That allows me to do a more fingers oriented closure, which I like. If that's not for you, you can close it on seam and it should feel similar as SZ. This glove uses the SZ break

2. BOA - You can adjust the glove differently than you can with nylon and/or elastic straps. I have been wearing it snug behind the back hand and looser at the wrist.  

3. Pocket - The pocket is massive and the single T is different than the Anchor and old SZ single T. Really gobbles the puck up well.

Full set initial impressions should be written up by early next week.  

47 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@CJ17 - Welcome and thanks for joining! 

I had not skated with the SZ glove before, only the GNetik. I had tried the glove on a million time though... so I can help a bit 

1. The dual hinge on the break allows me to overlap the break seam when closing it. That allows me to do a more fingers oriented closure, which I like. If that's not for you, you can close it on seam and it should feel similar as SZ. This glove uses the SZ break

2. BOA - You can adjust the glove differently than you can with nylon and/or elastic straps. I have been wearing it snug behind the back hand and looser at the wrist.  

3. Pocket - The pocket is massive and the single T is different than the Anchor and old SZ single T. Really gobbles the puck up well.

Full set initial impressions should be written up by early next week.  

Would you say the optik glove is most similar to a subzero, or another model offered by a different manufacturer?

20 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Here's the IG story from today's skate

@TheGoalNet how do you sleep at night?? All this talk of a vacuum like glove and innuendo regarding OptiSlide putting you in a corner with minimal effort is going to make many of our wives mad at you when we're all forced to buy a set. I just hope you're prepared for finger waiving emails you're stirring up.

4 hours ago, CJ17 said:

Would you say the optik glove is most similar to a subzero, or another model offered by a different manufacturer?

Literally like every single piece of the Optik glove is new. That's why the line is not called SZ4. So this isn't a scenario like saying a 1S and 600 will feel very similar. 

With that said, the break is based of the SZ glove, so it will close most like that model. The BOA, squared shape, GNetik style thumb, and new T all give it a very fresh feel. The dual hinge give you the ability to tweak the break as well. 

Can you tell me what you're wearing now and what you like in a glove and I can try and give you a better idea if you'd like it?

• 2 weeks later...

@Brians_Joz @TheGoalNet Are there any pictures showing what the back side of the leg pads look like in the retail colors? GoalieMonkey has “Chicago, Detroit, Goalie Monkey, Toronto, and White” listed as available in the FLX. 

I’m close to pulling the trigger for a stock white set since I don’t think I need any custom options, but wondering what colors are used on the back of the pads or are they white/white/white all the way through? Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@Brians_Joz @TheGoalNet Are there any pictures showing what the back side of the leg pads look like in the retail colors? GoalieMonkey has “Chicago, Detroit, Goalie Monkey, Toronto, and White” listed as available in the FLX. 

I’m close to pulling the trigger for a stock white set since I don’t think I need any custom options, but wondering what colors are used on the back of the pads or are they white/white/white all the way through? Thanks!

Didn't you just get a set of R/GT's and SZ3's? Holy Moly Pad Acquisition Batman.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Didn't you just get a set of R/GT's and SZ3's? Holy Moly Pad Acquisition Batman.

Haha ok you caught me - but I’ve had the R/GTs for a while and I’m selling them, got the SZ3s for an excellent price on clearance and they have obviously sold me on Brian’s! Plus I sold a bunch of the stuff I bought in my trial-and-error phase so I have funds burning a hole in my PayPal account! Plus this damn website!

1 minute ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Haha ok you caught me - but I’ve had the R/GTs for a while and I’m selling them, got the SZ3s for an excellent price on clearance and they have obviously sold me on Brian’s! Plus I sold a bunch of the stuff I bought in my trial-and-error phase so I have funds burning a hole in my PayPal account! Plus this damn website!

This website is the worst for G.A.S.

Doesn't help that the founder as been pushing his Optik love all over the place (rightfully so) @TheGoalNet, they look like a fantastic set of pads.

Archived