G5 initial impressions, review (eventually) & GT2 Comparison

Puckstopper

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You're thinking of G3 / GT1. And the measurements from users were somewhat inconsistent. My GT1 Snr's came in at 10.75" at the shin.

Here's someone taking measurements of their G3's.

I know that a couple users took measurements of their G4's once they got them and it was a consistent 11" throughout.

I can take some measurements of mt GT2's if needed, but this talking point about "intermediate pads" really needs to die. It's about as relative as people still crying about Warrior quality concerns.

I am not calling anything intermediate, I am just curious why those two pads look so differently size wise. Is optical illusion or is the GT2 when they had a sizing issue.

Again, this is not meant to knock Warrior. Bauer was under sized at one point too.

20 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I am not calling anything intermediate, I am just curious why those two pads look so differently size wise. Is optical illusion or is the GT2 when they had a sizing issue.

Again, this is not meant to knock Warrior. Bauer was under sized at one point too.

Never said you were. That was me moaning on about Netminder's "opinons".

• Like 1

So I took some measurements and I'll post those pics in a second.  Long story short both sets of pads are the same width. 

Full story: Looking closer at the pics I posted before I think I've figured out why my GT2s look so much smaller.  Measuring the outer roll of each set the roll on the GT2 set is ⅛" thicker than the G5 outer roll.  When you combine that with the ¼" dark green accent stripe that doesn't show up well in the first shot the GT2 set looks almost ½" thinner than the G5s.

IMG_20200318_181833.jpg

IMG_20200318_181743.jpg

IMG_20200318_181931.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

So I took some measurements and I'll post those pics in a second.  Long story short both sets of pads are the same width. 

Full story: Looking closer at the pics I posted before I think I've figured out why my GT2s look so much smaller.  Measuring the outer roll of each set the roll on the GT2 set is ⅛" thicker than the G5 outer roll.  When you combine that with the ¼" dark green accent stripe that doesn't show up well in the first shot the GT2 set looks almost ½" thinner than the G5s.

IMG_20200318_181833.jpg

IMG_20200318_181743.jpg

IMG_20200318_181931.jpg

Crazy. The visual between those two is very deceiving. Appreciate the pics!

I'm not going to say the transition from GT2 to G5 was seamless, because the GT2's were SO easy to move in right out of the box and I ordered my G5's with X-stiff thigh rises.  Believe me when Warrior says X-stiff they mean it on those babies!  So there was an adjustment period and I think it would have been worse if I hadn't had to wait almost a week before trying the pads out.  That week of downtime let me store them upside down and get a nice S-curve started.  By the second time I used them that curve was further along, I was ready for the stiffness of the thigh and overall the pads played much smoother for me.  

One thing I never noticed was any stiffness in the ankle area at all, and that is something I'm pretty sensitive to.  I felt like I made a huge mistake with my EF4 setup by skipping the ultrasoft boot area, because the "soft" took a minute to break in and the pads and I didn't get along well until it did. 

As far as the dual strapping goes, I've played 2 hours in the loose setting which I liked on the GT2 setup and 2 in the tighter setting.   Quick impressions are that I like the feel of the tighter setting better but my technique has to be just a little better with it because the pad seems to sit a little higher and is definitely more connected feeling.  The looser setting is more what I'm used to from a Warrior pad and still feels really good to me.  Long term I'm not sure which I'll pick but it's nice to have the option.

As far as CoverEdge goes I didn't notice a difference one way or the other.  IMHO, that's a good thing.  It may stop an occasional extra puck but the fact that it's there and the pads play well regardless makes it a win.

18 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

As far as CoverEdge goes I didn't notice a difference one way or the other.  IMHO, that's a good thing.  It may stop an occasional extra puck but the fact that it's there and the pads play well regardless makes it a win.

Any visual difference with the thicker gloves/pads?

On 3/20/2020 at 9:37 PM, Puckstopper said:

I'm not going to say the transition from GT2 to G5 was seamless, because the GT2's were SO easy to move in right out of the box and I ordered my G5's with X-stiff thigh rises.  Believe me when Warrior says X-stiff they mean it on those babies!  So there was an adjustment period and I think it would have been worse if I hadn't had to wait almost a week before trying the pads out.  That week of downtime let me store them upside down and get a nice S-curve started.  By the second time I used them that curve was further along, I was ready for the stiffness of the thigh and overall the pads played much smoother for me.  

One thing I never noticed was any stiffness in the ankle area at all, and that is something I'm pretty sensitive to.  I felt like I made a huge mistake with my EF4 setup by skipping the ultrasoft boot area, because the "soft" took a minute to break in and the pads and I didn't get along well until it did. 

As far as the dual strapping goes, I've played 2 hours in the loose setting which I liked on the GT2 setup and 2 in the tighter setting.   Quick impressions are that I like the feel of the tighter setting better but my technique has to be just a little better with it because the pad seems to sit a little higher and is definitely more connected feeling.  The looser setting is more what I'm used to from a Warrior pad and still feels really good to me.  Long term I'm not sure which I'll pick but it's nice to have the option.

Did you try on any recent bauer models? If so, can you compare the stiffness of the pads as well as rebound speed from pads/blocker?

On 3/18/2020 at 9:34 AM, Puckstopper said:

We agree on that one!

I agree that the G5s look wider, but when you put a tape measure on it they're not.  I think the dark colors, black sliding surface and vertical stitching on the GT2 set add to the illusion.

Thicker yes, but no heavier.  It's a huge win!

Steven, both are 35+2.  The GT2 set is more flexible at the knee and have stayed dead straight through the thigh.  I think they look shorter due to the hinging at the knee.  The G5's have taken on a really nice curve in a very short time and feel amazingly stiff through the thigh.  I expect that they'll keep a very nice stiffness for the life of the pad.  Both lines do a great job closing the 5 hole in my narrow butterfly.

The extra stiffness is just in the thigh rise area? I too have a narrower BF and was wondering about the extra stiff thigh area. I just don’t want to get them to stiff and not be able to close my 5 hole. What’s the reasoning for the extra stiffness in the thigh area vs stock stiffness? Just so the thigh rise doesn’t get too soft? 

On 3/20/2020 at 4:56 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Any visual difference with the thicker gloves/pads?

I'm not sure what you mean?  I don't notice the thickness at all while playing. 

7 hours ago, G_B said:

Did you try on any recent bauer models? If so, can you compare the stiffness of the pads as well as rebound speed from pads/blocker?

I've never worn Bauer pads or gloves.  If the opportunity comes my way I'd love to try out the UltraSonic line.

2 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

The extra stiffness is just in the thigh rise area? I too have a narrower BF and was wondering about the extra stiff thigh area. I just don’t want to get them to stiff and not be able to close my 5 hole. What’s the reasoning for the extra stiffness in the thigh area vs stock stiffness? Just so the thigh rise doesn’t get too soft? 

I went X-stiff to try something as far away from the GT2 line as possible.  Not that I didn't like the GT's, but I've still got them and could roll back to them if the G5 set didn't work out for me. 

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I'm not sure what you mean?  I don't notice the thickness at all while playing. 

I've never worn Bauer pads or gloves.  If the opportunity comes my way I'd love to try out the UltraSonic line.

I went X-stiff to try something as far away from the GT2 line as possible.  Not that I didn't like the GT's, but I've still got them and could roll back to them if the G5 set didn't work out for me. 

So is it just xtra stiffness in the thigh rise area? Has it made shaping the pads more difficult? You mentioned just putting light pressure on them has helped you shape them. 

On the customizer the part I ordered X-stiff is listed as the thigh/knee core.  I feel like it's taking on a curved shape quite nicely.  In fact I went to the basement to work on a couple projects last night and noticed that the pads were no longer supporting themselves between the bottom 2 shelves on my drying area any more.  Previously I would put the top of the pad between wires on the bottom shelf and use the slight pressure from the upper shelf to press down on the pad and accelerate the curve.  Apparently they've already taken enough of a curve that they won't hold themselves in place anymore.

Hey Puckstopper, can i ask a massive favor.

On your G5's, can you tell me the equivalent measurement to the photo of my pads I’ve attached?

Currently my Passau's are 34+2.  It’s about  8" from top of the knee block to the top of the thigh rise (11" from mid knee to top of thigh rise, with a f2k of 20", Warriors sizing chart say 34+3, I’m scared that would be too big - hence the question)

Trying to gauge it based on your actual dimensions (aware your's are 35+2).

Thanks

20200331_161431.jpg

On 3/31/2020 at 10:50 AM, Puckstopper said:

Happy to help:

IMG_20200331_123717.jpg

Oops, forgot to check mid knee to pad tip when I went home for lunch. I'll get that this evening.

Please correct me if I’m wrong since you’re is 35+2 a 34+2 would be 1/2 inch shorter? So the thigh rise would be 8.5?...the way you measured it 

looking at the sizing chart a 35+2 is 34+2.5 so a stock 34+1.5 would be 8”? 

Edited by Quadzilla32

The way I understand Warrior sizing is that the knee stack would drop by 1/2" and you would then have 10" above the kneecap where I have 10.5".  So yes, the net effect would be that you'd have 1/2" less above the knee stack (you'd actually have 8.5", as the front of the pad sits 1/2" higher than the black area.  

24 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

The way I understand Warrior sizing is that the knee stack would drop by 1/2" and you would then have 10" above the kneecap where I have 10.5".  So yes, the net effect would be that you'd have 1/2" less above the knee stack (you'd actually have 8.5", as the front of the pad sits 1/2" higher than the black area.  

So most likely a 1.5 stiffer pad will play the same if not slightly taller than a +2 softer pad. If my old pads settled at all most likely my knee is landing higher and the pads are smaller than they were where as a stiffer pad that sits higher and puts my knee lower would be around the same thigh rise height? 

• 1 year later...

I am finally considering taking a jump in the Warrior pool. Been using Brian's and have been happy, but they are falling apart and time for a new set. Would like to get more bounce on my rebounds, so been thinking the G5 for lightness, glide and stiffness.

Where did you guys or at least @Puckstopper order your set from? Clearly customized right? GoalieMonkey, Pure Hockey or somewhere else? I tried on a pair at a local Pure Hockey store and although they fit different than other sets of pads, I liked them quite a bit. Wasnt too keen on the glove however. Has yours loosened up finally? 

Any insight on G5+ vs G5 Pro? Seems like twice the cost for a few less ounces? I must be missing something.

Finally trying to determine if the cost is worth going custom or just get all black. Personally, i'd just take this entire set as is and be happy, but I dont see anywhere offering pads beyond white or black.

With G6 supposedly coming soon, i'm wondering if i should just wait and try those or see if the G5's drop in price. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1B060870-9395-458D-BBD1-E380D5F44A3F.thu

9 hours ago, ZamboniTony said:

I am finally considering taking a jump in the Warrior pool. Been using Brian's and have been happy, but they are falling apart and time for a new set. Would like to get more bounce on my rebounds, so been thinking the G5 for lightness, glide and stiffness.

Where did you guys or at least @Puckstopper order your set from? Clearly customized right? GoalieMonkey, Pure Hockey or somewhere else? I tried on a pair at a local Pure Hockey store and although they fit different than other sets of pads, I liked them quite a bit. Wasnt too keen on the glove however. Has yours loosened up finally? 

Any insight on G5+ vs G5 Pro? Seems like twice the cost for a few less ounces? I must be missing something.

Finally trying to determine if the cost is worth going custom or just get all black. Personally, i'd just take this entire set as is and be happy, but I dont see anywhere offering pads beyond white or black.

With G6 supposedly coming soon, i'm wondering if i should just wait and try those or see if the G5's drop in price. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1B060870-9395-458D-BBD1-E380D5F44A3F.thu

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! 

Do it, they're great. I've been mostly in Smith/Warriors for the last 8 years and have tried a little bit of everything else, but for me at least they just work. 

If you don't feel compelled to have the latest and greatest, get some G5s and just get the slide plate kit that Warrior is coming out with on the G6. When I asked, they said it would be available separately. 

If you're not opposed to secondhand sets, there are usually a few used sets available on either Sideline Swap or GGSU and other Facebook groups.