Packing your bag

6 minutes ago, Naz said:

Insert blue balls joke here.

We're trying to fend off blue balls and you're running around talking about insertion? Check yourself, Naz.

To weigh in, I would not consider a wheelie bag for myself at present time, for all the reasons people have noted here. Having said that...

Anyone who genuinely thinks a person is weak or uncool for having a wheelie bag needs to get a grip — everyone has their own quirks, needs, and discomforts, and I think it's admirable that people can disregard any notion of what's cool, and simply embrace what works for them. Seriously, who cares?

At the same time, you can't be too sensitive about some good 'ole ball-busting when you opt for a wheelie bag. It's all in good fun, and being touchy or overly-defensive of your choice only begets more razzing.

Edited by stackem30

5 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Would you go back to a Warrior bag or you're not sure yet? I've heard good things about the Passau backpack bag. Shame to hear about the durability issues you're experiencing. I'm only 25, but i've had horrible back issue in the past, so I'm not sure if a backpack goalie bag is good for me, otherwise I would consider it.

FYI, Chenner isn't the only one to experience durability issues with the Passau backpack bag. @IPv6Freely, this boards biggest Passau fanboy had one that has had durability issues as well.

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

FYI, Chenner isn't the only one to experience durability issues with the Passau backpack bag. @IPv6Freely, this boards biggest Passau fanboy had one that has had durability issues as well.

Thanks, and it's a shame to hear. I love the concept of a bag like that and it looks like a great bag, but 'backpacking it' to and from hockey doesn't seem appealing to me because of my back. If I didn't have back issues in my past, I'd totally be on board though.

Edited by creasecollector

16 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Thanks, and it's a shame to hear. I love the concept of a bag like that and it looks like a great bag, but 'backpacking it' to and from hockey doesn't seem appealing to me because of my back. If I didn't have back issues in my past, I'd totally be on board though.

I've got a guy on one of my teams that has a players version of the backpack. The thing is super awkward and unwieldy. Just doesn't look comfortable anyways. 

Best option to save the back is for a wheelie bag.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've got a guy on one of my teams that has a players version of the backpack. The thing is super awkward and unwieldy. Just doesn't look comfortable anyways. 

Best option to save the back is for a wheelie bag.

I will admit that it looks pretty ridiculous picking up the backpack bag and getting it on, especially when you're trying to not put the stress of the entire weight of the bag on just the shoulder strap.  Picture picking up the bag with one hand by the end handle, lifting it up high enough to get your arm through a shoulder strap, then pulling that first arm up and over your head to get the bag on your back.

It's honestly very comfortable when it's on, just don't stand around talking to the guys after the game with it on.  Shoulders get fatigued more than anything if I have a long post-game walk to the car.

I also only use it because I need to bring my bag through the house, up/down a fairly narrow basement staircase, which is way easier with the backpack (even a normal shoulder bag would be kind of unwieldy for that).  If I didn't have that restriction, I'd still be using my Grit tower bag.

3 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I will admit that it looks pretty ridiculous picking up the backpack bag and getting it on, especially when you're trying to not put the stress of the entire weight of the bag on just the shoulder strap.  Picture picking up the bag with one hand by the end handle, lifting it up high enough to get your arm through a shoulder strap, then pulling that first arm up and over your head to get the bag on your back.

It's honestly very comfortable when it's on, just don't stand around talking to the guys after the game with it on.  Shoulders get fatigued more than anything if I have a long post-game walk to the car.

I also only use it because I need to bring my bag through the house, up/down a fairly narrow basement staircase, which is way easier with the backpack (even a normal shoulder bag would be kind of unwieldy for that).  If I didn't have that restriction, I'd still be using my Grit tower bag.

Fair enough. I've never used one and just by what I've seen with a player bag, a goalie bag would just be worse.

But what do I know? I'm just a shoulder bag or die type of guy. :P

53 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Would you go back to a Warrior bag or you're not sure yet? I've heard good things about the Passau backpack bag. Shame to hear about the durability issues you're experiencing. I'm only 25, but i've had horrible back issue in the past, so I'm not sure if a backpack goalie bag is good for me, otherwise I would consider it. 

Probably going with the Warrior wheeled I posted above for my next bag. Unless the True has a crazy amount of room that I can use to carry my pads in )I currently just carry my pads over my shoulder. For those that carry their pads in their bag, does your pads warp or lose it's shape after awhile in the bag. Might be a silly question, but that's one issue I'm thinking about if I have to stuff my pads into a tight fitting bag.

Pacific Rink told me they're doing a goalie bag this year.

If it's anything like their player bag, I'm sold

https://www.pacificrink.com/collections/bags/products/player-bag?variant=23544651782

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2018 at 5:21 PM, Mroy31 said:

They should add a hip pad/strap/buckle.  The packs I used in the military(stfu @coopaloop1234 lol) had to withstand lots of heavy gear, obviously, and we had to be able to wear them for long periods of time/distance.  To help with weight distribution the packs had these hip pads to make the packs seem lighter.  The key was to pack all the heaviest stuff at the bottom so all that weight was on the waist pad instead of your shoulders straps. 
91WDMRFNGkL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

Alright, so I made a trip to the store today and finally pulled the trigger on my new bag! My old Warrior Messiah bag had treated me well and lasted for around 4-5 years or so of usage, but it was time to buy another bag.

Before going to the store my top 2 choices were the True carry bag and the Warrior Convert wheeled bag. The True bag seemed like really good quality, but I knew that since it didn't have wheels I would most likely end up going with the Warrior Covert due to me being very happy with my last Warrior bag, plus I just prefer wheels that much more.

I'm 25 years young, but I've unfortunately have had very serious back & spine issues in the past that I've had operated on as well, so anything to make it easier on my back going to and from the rink before and after I play is always a plus in my mind. I will say that I have always liked the "carry vs wheel" bag debate us hockey players have had since the beginning of time, as it's all in good fun after all. I will happily take all the chirps for this bag, but my physical health is my number 1 priority here haha. 

When I got to the store I noticed the Warrior Covert on display, along with a few other bags that I checked too. It looked the Warrior Covert bag I was eyeing had been stuffed a few times and wheeled around quite a bit, and the employee mentioned that he would grab a fresh one for me in the back. After coming back, I noticed he also brought this other Warrior bag (The all-black Warrior Ritual) that I had not seen on the website. I was intrigued to say the least. After looking over both bags, I ended up going with the Warrior Ritual bag as it looked slightly bigger and I knew I would have a ton of room for all of my gear, plus the pockets were more than enough to fit all of my extra accessories (I find that some massive "carry everything" bags don't have nice enough pockets on the inside/outside), just a large open space, but this bag seemed to fit all my needs that I was looking for.  Plus it was $10 cheaper in the end. Worth it!

Now onto some pictures: this Warrior Ritual official dimensions are 44in x 24in x 24in. Approximately 3-4 inches wider and taller than my last bag. Yeah, it's a beast.

image1.thumb.jpeg.cf0358c93a76638f51202048c88ccee1.jpeg

First look at the new bag. First off, the all-black look on this thing is awesome. I don't factor in looks when deciding on a bag, but I gotta admit it looks very nice. Secondly, this thing is massive. Just look at this thing.

image2.thumb.jpeg.557c84c61318ced885bb1a3357fac3f7.jpeg

This is the first of 2 end pockets on this bag. As you can hopefully see by the angle of the picture, these pockets can hold just about everything. I packed my tennis ball, both skates, undershirts, socks, pants, and hockey socks in here, along with a jersey and you can still see how much room is available in these side pockets. Crazy.

image3.thumb.jpeg.31d911130a2280e178ec81b6bf0dff4c.jpeg

Same end pocket, but on the other side of the bag. Right now I just have a bag of tape and a bag of extra pucks for shinny. 

image4.thumb.jpeg.87e7bb1f96a34efb3b546cd201fa25df.jpeg

When uploading this photo, it was flipped for some reason, but here it a look at the interior pockets inside the bag if you can see. It is one huge pocket with 3 velcro tabs to keep it snug to the inside so things don't fall out. A lot better than my last bag which only has small mesh pockets that ran lower to the ground and was a pain to store things. In this pocket I stored some extra laces, velcro, screws, screwdriver, and some other things too. Fits perfectly for what I needed it to do.

image5.thumb.jpeg.ee51e9223b6f148f2d06cad0dda7a466.jpeg

I small pocket at the top of the bag near the opening. I never use these type of pockets, but I'm sure if you had some glasses, rings, or other small things you needed to store, this separate smaller pocket would be perfect for that.

image6.thumb.jpeg.8685451d8d76dbecbb115b486d1bb579.jpeg

Here's a picture of the 3 wheel system used on this bag. On my previous Warrior Messiah bag from 2011, they only had a 2-wheel system. After a while, my old bag eventually warped and bent down the middle and was a nuisance to carry. This will hopefully solve my last bags problem long-term with the 3 wheels. Plus it will make it so much easier to wheel this thing around.  

image7.thumb.jpeg.4a04198c91f89adf1422d54071f5531c.jpeg

Yep, and it even has a stick holder. I'm sure I can fit 2 sticks in here if I tried, but I just put one in there to take a picture. In all honesty, I won't be using the stick holder. If something comes up and I need to carry something for the team that week or something, then sure, but for now I'll just carry my sticks. Nice feature to have though.

image8.thumb.jpeg.7addd29be3778a68be6dec6608845c20.jpeg

And this is what the bag looks like loosely closed. After I snapped these pics, I did check to see if my pads and gloves would fit, and they fit with ease. The bag looks just as relaxed with my pads/gloves in it as it does in this picture, which just goes to show you how spacious this bag really is. So far I am in love with this bag, and if it's anything like my last Warrior bag, then it should last me many years. 

I'm contemplating getting those pics latter with my gloves and pads to show everyone, or at least doing some sort of "longer term" review once I get some decent use out of it.

Edited by creasecollector

On 8/8/2018 at 4:21 PM, Mroy31 said:

I just could never get used to the backpack pack. It was very, very awkward for me to lift up and get situated. 

I may end up re-engineering this to be a wheelie bag.

Love the construction of the Mammoth bag, but if I had to do it over, I’d get their largest player bag and not pack the leg pads in it.Their goalie bag is so awkwardly huge for me, a small-framed  5’8” tall rabbit. 

On 8/9/2018 at 5:20 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

They should add a hip pad/strap/buckle.  The packs I used in the military(stfu @coopaloop1234 lol) had to withstand lots of heavy gear, obviously, and we had to be able to wear them for long periods of time/distance.  To help with weight distribution the packs had these hip pads to make the packs seem lighter.  The key was to pack all the heaviest stuff at the bottom so all that weight was on the waist pad instead of your shoulders straps. 

I swore you were in the Navy.

51HMMD7W1ML._SY445_.jpg.1d18b131bca997f46b2fdd5fe35b540c.jpg

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2018 at 11:21 PM, creasecollector said:

Alright, so I made a trip to the store today and finally pulled the trigger on my new bag! My old Warrior Messiah bag had treated me well and lasted for around 4-5 years or so of usage, but it was time to buy another bag.

Before going to the store my top 2 choices were the True carry bag and the Warrior Convert wheeled bag. The True bag seemed like really good quality, but I knew that since it didn't have wheels I would most likely end up going with the Warrior Covert due to me being very happy with my last Warrior bag, plus I just prefer wheels that much more.

I'm 25 years young, but I've unfortunately have had very serious back & spine issues in the past that I've had operated on as well, so anything to make it easier on my back going to and from the rink before and after I play is always a plus in my mind. I will say that I have always liked the "carry vs wheel" bag debate us hockey players have had since the beginning of time, as it's all in good fun after all. I will happily take all the chirps for this bag, but my physical health is my number 1 priority here haha. 

When I got to the store I noticed the Warrior Covert on display, along with a few other bags that I checked too. It looked the Warrior Covert bag I was eyeing had been stuffed a few times and wheeled around quite a bit, and the employee mentioned that he would grab a fresh one for me in the back. After coming back, I noticed he also brought this other Warrior bag (The all-black Warrior Ritual) that I had not seen on the website. I was intrigued to say the least. After looking over both bags, I ended up going with the Warrior Ritual bag as it looked slightly bigger and I knew I would have a ton of room for all of my gear, plus the pockets were more than enough to fit all of my extra accessories (I find that some massive "carry everything" bags don't have nice enough pockets on the inside/outside), just a large open space, but this bag seemed to fit all my needs that I was looking for.  Plus it was $10 cheaper in the end. Worth it!

Now onto some pictures: this Warrior Ritual official dimensions are 44in x 24in x 24in. Approximately 3-4 inches wider and taller than my last bag. Yeah, it's a beast.

image1.thumb.jpeg.cf0358c93a76638f51202048c88ccee1.jpeg

Just saw this bag online for the first time over the weekend. I was eyeing it up, since my Brian's bag just gave up after 8 years or so.

I think you've sold me on this thing, dang, that's a beauty!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 10:17 AM, Taco said:

Anyone needing a "forever bag" and willing to spend a little coin, try the John Brown bags. Super heavy duty sterling material (is thicker than the Sterling material that my old Brian's bag was made out of). I use the 2200 which is a tall and skinny bag, perfect for walking through doorways. It is large enough to hold some 33+2" pads. The handles are riveted and stitched which is a nice touch. People in skates have stepped on my bag many times and I have yet to see a cut (knocks on wood)

just ordered this tank - 2400 John Brown (should have in a few days). basically same as what you got but a little wider and not as tall - 42 x 24 x 18. slight premium to some of the others but i doubt i'll need to replace it any time soon.

front.jpg panelOne.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HP29 said:

Just saw this bag online for the first time over the weekend. I was eyeing it up, since my Brian's bag just gave up after 8 years or so.

I think you've sold me on this thing, dang, that's a beauty!

Great ! Glad I could help in some way with that mini review. 

This bag really is a beast and has a ton of room. I'm using it for the first time tonight. I tested it out and it barely fits in my trunk (without the leg pads inside, but I carry those anyway), but I'm just glad it fits so I don't have to change my going to the rink setup. 

It doesn't have a telescopic handle like my last bag, and the frame weighs a little bit more due to having 3 wheels instead of two. But overall, I think it's a great trade-off between my old Warrior Messiah and this new Warrior Ritual wheelie bag. :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dstew29 said:

just ordered this tank - 2400 John Brown (should have in a few days). basically same as what you got but a little wider and not as tall - 42 x 24 x 18. slight premium to some of the others but i doubt i'll need to replace it any time soon.

front.jpg panelOne.jpg

I have this one. Love the opening, side pocket, padding on the carry handles and venting grommets. The handles seem long and the bag hangs very low making it awkward to carry. Still trying to figure out the best way to orient my body when I carry it.