Jump to content

To match, or not to match…?


sescaro
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looking at getting some new gear with custom colors.  I am in love with the kind of solid candy colored pads and Kelly green is throwback to the main color of my youth hockey team and carries lots of nostalgia.  It doesn’t really match with the colors of the beer league teams I play on, though.  It doesn’t outright clash, either.  
 

I’m interested to get some forum opinions on if you’d do colors because you like them, or if it has to match the unis?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My personal philosophy is: matching is funner than not matching. 

If you are ordering custom gear and your choice is current team colors vs. other colors, that's a no brainer for me.  Go with team colors.

If you're uncertain about your future on this team, play on other teams, or play a lot of pickup then that changes things and your team colors aren't as important. 

That's my take.  I find joy in matching and for me it makes playing more fun and enjoyable which gives me confidence and enthusiasm. 

At the end of the day,  it doesn't REALLY matter though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matching though will for sure get you chirped and shamed by the neanderthals who play rec league hockey, so be prepared for that.

To their primitive brains, they think fancy colors on gear means it costs more than retail white gear.  Such naive fools.

;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Matching though will for sure get you chirped and shamed by the neanderthals who play rec league hockey, so be prepared for that.

To their primitive brains, they think fancy colors on gear means it costs more than retail white gear.  Such naive fools.

;)

You get chirped?

I probably don't because I can back up my custom gear. :datass:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You get chirped?

I probably don't because I can back up my custom gear. :datass:

Ha, nice.

The real fun is when you normally look like this

IMG_2738.thumb.jpg.cd06133058b5686ff52a4b1cb0b32e08.jpg

IMG_1698.thumb.jpg.39fab04bf61bdd8c12b424ae4536c900.jpg

And then you show up like this

20190709_200636.thumb.jpg.c5e0e62b113ba8c26229d545567457f0.jpg

Then you know you're a real gangster and have zero f's to give while dripping with swagger. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matching is fun, but get the colours you enjoy. It's your set at the end of the day. 

Also, beer league teams change all the time, so what matches this year might not match next year. You might as well choose the colours you like right off the bat. 

Best of luck, custom sets are awesome!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first set I bought this year I just got white. We usually play pickup with my companies and one is the Tampa replica and one is the Bruins. So it matches both. I'm getting Seattle colors next possibly though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had a regular team for the remainder of my playing days, I would go team colours. Then again, I can`t help but want to show my pledge to my Habs. In saying so, if I was buying full custom, I definitely would go Habs colours. If buying off the shelf, I would go red and white, that way I can represent my Habs when playing shinny and then match with most other teams when subbing or in a league.

Now should I become rich soon, I might go 2-3 same sets but different team according colours.

If anything the safest colours for any team would be all white or all black or all tan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RichMan said:

If I had a regular team for the remainder of my playing days, I would go team colours. Then again, I can`t help but want to show my pledge to my Habs. In saying so, if I was buying full custom, I definitely would go Habs colours. If buying off the shelf, I would go red and white, that way I can represent my Habs when playing shinny and then match with most other teams when subbing or in a league.

Now should I become rich soon, I might go 2-3 same sets but different team according colours.

If anything the safest colours for any team would be all white or all black or all tan.

Blue and red are nicely complimentary.

I'm currently using my new team reds for my secondary stuff like jersey, socks, blade tape, and my dangler laces , but with my blue pads, mitts, and mask.

It is technically mismatched but complimentary at the same time. 

Habs and Rangers goalies pull it off well at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@seagoal is right. I've always enjoyed the notion of matching a teams colours and it really does give you this extra pride in your gear. Look good, play good right?

What looks better, first picture or the second?

Second. It looks like there is no black color in the first jersey and d-man wears all red jersey. In the second picture seems like everyone wears same kind of jerseys. 😇

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's very much personal preference.   I enjoyed matching my team colors for a few years, but my favorite set to date (Dark grey, Navy and yellow Axis) doesn't match any of my teams, but I love the U of M/Preds colors so I enjoy wearing it.   My upcoming Bauer set will match absolutely nothing as it's a tribute to the Scots side of my heritage and is in the clan tartan, but I 100% DGAF.  It'll make me happy and will probably be the only set I hang onto once my playing days are done.   The other thing is that sometimes the graphic can dictate the colors.   If Axis hadn't had a giant M stuck in the middle of it I probably wouldn't have gone U of M colors, but once I went down that rabbit hole nothing else I did (and I did about 30 different designs) popped as much for me. 

Edit:  In reflecting more, unless you LOVE your team colors I'd go your own way.   I did the matchy matchy thing because I wasn't quite paying full price for the gear.  If I'd have been paying the full load, I'd have done the colors I loved and said screw the rest. 

Edited by Puckstopper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Puck, 

A UM guy in Cbus?  Brave man!  I’m a PSU guy (and have considered blue and white gear), myself.  My wife is OSU through and through which makes it all the more difficult.  It’s tough living in the land of the Buckeyes - especially since they’ve been so friggin’ good.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why limit yourself to one set of gear? Just get a bunch and you can wear what you need to.

I have random full solid color pieces of gear. Sometimes I would wear them at the same time. Solid orange blocker, solid kelly green catch glove and sport gold pads. Red pants? Sure. Royal blue SK/HM to match.

What Was The Volkswagen Golf Harlequin? | The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®  The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®

Edited by MTH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Why limit yourself to one set of gear? Just get a bunch and you can wear what you need to.

I have random full solid color pieces of gear. Sometimes I would wear them at the same time. Solid orange blocker, solid kelly green catch glove and sport gold pads. Red pants? Sure. Royal blue SK/HM to match.

What Was The Volkswagen Golf Harlequin? | The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®  The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®

1st game in Warrior Ritual G5 rainbow goalie pads. Stars hockey goalie  GoPro - YouTube

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All of the input has been great!  It’s very interesting to see which side of the fence people fall on.  If I was on one team or multiple teams with the same colors, I would no doubt about it go with colors that match.  
 

Seeing as how I don’t want to go with black or white (that’s my current set) and tan isn’t an option in the gear I’m looking at…I think I’m going with the nostalgic colors.  One of my current teams has Dallas colors with a black jersey, so it will work pretty well, and the other is mostly gray, so it won’t be a horrible mismatch.  And when I play in my youth org’s alumni games - I’ll look like a rock star!

Here’s what I’m down to.  It’s 3x gear - Sr. gear is all this over the hill goalie needs and I think it’s awesome they’re doing custom colors!

0AEC5ECD-EC61-4549-8EE3-768E77BA65CA.png

BD6D4B58-45C8-4301-8270-C5EE6E12CC83.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, sescaro said:

All of the input has been great!  It’s very interesting to see which side of the fence people fall on.  If I was on one team or multiple teams with the same colors, I would no doubt about it go with colors that match.  
 

Seeing as how I don’t want to go with black or white (that’s my current set) and tan isn’t an option in the gear I’m looking at…I think I’m going with the nostalgic colors.  One of my current teams has Dallas colors with a black jersey, so it will work pretty well, and the other is mostly gray, so it won’t be a horrible mismatch.  And when I play in my youth org’s alumni games - I’ll look like a rock star!

Here’s what I’m down to.  It’s 3x gear - Sr. gear is all this over the hill goalie needs and I think it’s awesome they’re doing custom colors!

0AEC5ECD-EC61-4549-8EE3-768E77BA65CA.png

BD6D4B58-45C8-4301-8270-C5EE6E12CC83.png

Excellent.   Thanks for this thread,  it's been fun to read.

Those colors are beautiful together so you're gonna look good regardless.  

Personally I like this graphic and favor the one with yellow slashes,  but they both look awesome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    1,524
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    ThaTank11
    Newest Member
    ThaTank11
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...