The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

I feel for the guy. Granted, he made a terrible play to cause the turnover for the winning goal, but otherwise he played good. Nurse deflected the third goal past him. He’s just awkward with the way he plays, so people don’t like him. Also, he’s not a rookie. So you knew what you were getting when you signed him. It’s unrealistic to expect him to suddenly be Vasilevsky. GMs do that crap all the time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I feel for the guy. Granted, he made a terrible play to cause the turnover for the winning goal, but otherwise he played good. Nurse deflected the third goal past him. He’s just awkward with the way he plays, so people don’t like him. Also, he’s not a rookie. So you knew what you were getting when you signed him. It’s unrealistic to expect him to suddenly be Vasilevsky. GMs do that crap all the time. 

Yeah, I come out and play the puck a lot.  Any goal from a goalie turnover like that just looks awful and it's easy to get upset at a goalie who makes a mistake. At the same time, I like the saying "If you don't make mistakes, you ain't trying hard enough to be better."  Mistakes will happen, but overall, he's an exceptional puck handler who is overall really, really effective.  

But a soft little loft pass up the slot from behind the net.......oof.  Big time oof.  What I said was "not in game 1 of the playoffs Mikey."  

Assessing risks, contemplating options, execution is really difficult coming out to play the puck and it can go wrong so easy and fast. 

16 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I wouldn’t necessarily put that in the same category as the Mike Smith mistake. This is more like, nothing is going our way tonight. Whereas Mike Smith created the situation himself. 

Fair.  I agree.  He still f'd up coming out to play the puck though. Interesting turn of events to see an example twice in one night of playoffs.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

The difference being,

Smith has a history of overplaying the puck or trying to do too to much with it.  He'll have a safe option on the boards to a wide open defenseman with plenty of time and space, but he'll opt to sauce it up center to a streaking forward through two layers of forecheckers.  Although there's no official stat for it, I'd guess he's also the career league leader for "fuck your buddy" passes

Vasi's goal looks like bad puck luck.  He never had control, so it's hard to fault him for that.  Puck found a way to take a funny bounce off the boards in a 4-0 game

On another note, why are so many teams without their starter or back up? Why are so many goalies injured? Are coaches overplaying them? At least four teams missing one of their regular starting goalies. Off the top of my head, Saros for Nashville, Mrazek for Toronto, Anderson for Carolina and Jarry for Pittsburgh. Dafuq?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

On another note, why are so many teams without their starter or back up? Why are so many goalies injured? Are coaches overplaying them? At least four teams missing one of their regular starting goalies. Off the top of my head, Saros for Nashville, Mrazek for Toronto, Anderson for Carolina and Jarry for Pittsburgh. Dafuq?

DeSmith left the game in 2OT for Pittsburgh. The 3rd string goalie went in and got the win in 3OT. 

• Like 1

Throwing in my two cents...

The Vasy goal definitely just seemed a byproduct of a bad bounce (mostly... with a little blame on him for kind of lazily going after the puck a bit later than he should have). But also more "reasonable" considering it was the last goal in a 5-0 waxing (as opposed to Smith's gaffe that "cost them the game").

I think the real crux of things in Edmonton is that - with plenty of goalies available on the carousel - Holland didn't get either an upgrade on Smith or anybody that could at least push him.

@WillyGrips13 guys like Mrazek and Anderson have always been a bit injury prone. Can't really comment on the others as I don't know the nature/circumstances of their injuries.

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

The difference being,

Smith has a history of overplaying the puck or trying to do too to much with it.  He'll have a safe option on the boards to a wide open defenseman with plenty of time and space, but he'll opt to sauce it up center to a streaking forward through two layers of forecheckers.  Although there's no official stat for it, I'd guess he's also the career league leader for "fuck your buddy" passes

Agreed. That play that Smith did is such a defacto Smith moment. I'm surprised he didn't dive and play hurt during it. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Teal Terror said:

Anyone had a Fred Braithwaite moment when playing the puck? I have once and it wouldn’t of been 6-5 win that’s for sure if I didn’t!

Side note, I can never be mad at Smith’s setups, dudes got style. Even if he biffs it!

*minus most of his Phoenix career* 

17 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

To be fair Smith has been very up and down the last few years. He is either on or completely off, and he has had more off nights the last few years. Plus, there were so many goalies available last off-season, but Hyman was more important it seemed. 

All of the things you guys are saying are true. It just represents to me how foolish management can be, expecting a career average-to-good NHL goalie to be your answer for playoff success. Mike Smith is what he is. He’s not going to suddenly be elite. 
Also, I was watching the Penguins and Rangers game, so I did see the goalie change. I tuned in at the beginning of overtime, so I ended up seeing almost a full game😉. Happy for Domingue. Great performance from all three goalies. One of those games you wish no one had to lose. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

All of the things you guys are saying are true. It just represents to me how foolish management can be, expecting a career average-to-good NHL goalie to be your answer for playoff success. Mike Smith is what he is. He’s not going to suddenly be elite. 
Also, I was watching the Penguins and Rangers game, so I did see the goalie change. I tuned in at the beginning of overtime, so I ended up seeing almost a full game😉. Happy for Domingue. Great performance from all three goalies. One of those games you wish no one had to lose. 

I'm sure a number of factors go into this, but one thing to consider is to look at a recent cup winning teams:

Chicago - Crawford (underrated, but very good IMO)
St Louis - Binnington (got hot at the right time, riding the bench this season)
Washington - Holtby (love watching him play, but just he's somewhere between good to very good)
Pittsburgh x2 - Murray (probably getting chased out of the league)
Tampa Bay x2 - Vasilevskiy (animal/elite)

Aside from Vasi, I don't think any of those names scream "elite goalie."  Note these teams also have a common thread where they were heavily invested in their core group of forwards - Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Tampa out of these have franchise untradeable forward groups.  St Louis invested heavily in free agent forwards (O'Reilly and Tarasenko)

With the exception of Vasi taking down two Finals in a row, it doesn't seem like the top tier goalie is making Cup runs like we had in the 99-00s when Roy, Belfour, or Brodeur was could steamroll through the playoffs any given year

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hmm, two aging teams who are having difficulty scoring get frustrated and take runs at goalies? 

That doesn't sound like Boston or Pittsburgh at all.  

I’m not for either team to win their respective series, but it’s actions like that which makes me want them to lose all the more!