The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

28 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

Looks like his blackhawks mask but I wonder if he painted over the feathers and then put the wild logo on. Hopefully the beautiful mask is intact under it.

the flowers were on the mask he had a tribal artist do

The fact that they re-paint masks still is dumb. He has been on the bubble all year. Just have a blank one ready to go. It's not the 90s where goalies would get their masks repainted every year.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

Looks like his blackhawks mask but I wonder if he painted over the feathers and then put the wild logo on. Hopefully the beautiful mask is intact under it.

the flowers were on the mask he had a tribal artist do

Can't find them now, but other zoomed photos I have seen, it looks like just strips of black electrical tape over the feathers, and a Wild decal thrown on.

• Like 1

The Canes are wearing black pants for the first time with their white uniforms in team history? (I’ll note that the one piece True skate has really re-emerged  in the NHL this year after a year or 2 of guys switching to the 2 piece).

Also let’s take a look at Freddy’s True One Piece skates, having the the lower part painted white. This provides more evidence in my ‘Freddy Anderson is a Carey Price fan-boy theory.”

Since leaving as the face of Bauer Freddy has more or less copied every piece of Price’s wardrobe.

Price in Lefebvre with leather straps and Cowling skates in 2020. Freddy switches to Lefevre with leather straps and cowlings.

Price switches strapping so does Freddy. Is that a 590? Freddy is in a 590. Pro’s choice and Vaughn pants? You betcha. 

Price back to one piece skates? So is Freddy. Paint your cowlings white? So will I. 

They basically wear identical kits minus the sticks. 

We have a Jim Carrey Cable Guy level stalker here.

“I just want to hang out, no big deal.”

953CD392-D52E-4B84-B651-19BC5E25F547.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Wedgewood’s new setup, still waiting on the mask

5B3A39D1-1B96-4D3B-8434-60B4E72D10E9.jpeg

Wear a dangler, man! He's asking to get hit in the throat right there. I don't want him to be the next Malcolm Subban.

Anyhow, his team-themed pads are cool. 

12 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Or a neck guard at least. Him and Lehner need to take notes… just asking for a throat shot 😬

Agreed. The neck guard is there mostly to protect against skate cuts. The neck guard has some protective value, but ultimately it's the dangler that stops shots from reaching the neck in the first place.

I've watched Trav, and he explains why he doesn't wear a neck guard. He overheated when he wore one, so he wears the dangler instead. So it is possible to wear one or the other, but both is the safest solution. 

18 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Agreed. The neck guard is there mostly to protect against skate cuts. The neck guard has some protective value, but ultimately it's the dangler that stops shots from reaching the neck in the first place.

I've watched Trav, and he explains why he doesn't wear a neck guard. He overheated when he wore one, so he wears the dangler instead. So it is possible to wear one or the other, but both is the safest solution. 

I personally ditched the dangler a few years ago because it was so loud and obstructed my downwards view. I know there are ways to make it quieter but I haven’t really gone back. On my roughneck I ordered a 2 inch height on the throat area and it hasn’t been giving me any issues. One time when I had just a dangler I got hit in the high sternum and said that was enough lol

I also don’t really overheat as much as I sweat, and I don’t really take advice from trav in the first place 😂 but it’s a valid reason. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MTH said:

I recall buying a D&R throat guard as a kid because Grant Fuhr wore it. It sucked. But Fuhr wore it - so I did too.

Grant Fuhr autographed Edmonton Oilers magazine photo |  AutographsForSale.com

You just wonder how many items were rigged up so much to make them better? I played in pre-trampoline shin guards and felt backed gloves. Shots HURT in that old player gear, and I can’t imagine how hot, heavy, yet utterly unprotective goalie gear was in those days.  

Wow! That must have been really dangerous! Thank goodness that Harrison and Wright improved the mask designs in the 1990s.

It's awesome that even this early Grant Fuhr was wearing throat protection. Maybe he saw what happened to Steve Yeager and didn't want that to happen to him. 

On 4/9/2022 at 8:03 PM, ilyazhito said:

lol what?

The vast majority of NHLers aren't wearing anything in the neck to protect from skate cuts

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

lol what?

The vast majority of NHLers aren't wearing anything in the neck to protect from skate cuts

They're stupid to be intentionally risking injury like that. Carey Price wears a neck guard, Marc-Andre Fleury wears both a neck guard and a dangler, and they aren't the only goalies who protect their necks and/or throats.

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

They're stupid to be intentionally risking injury like that. Carey Price wears a neck guard, Marc-Andre Fleury wears both a neck guard and a dangler, and they aren't the only goalies who protect their necks and/or throats.

Oh, sweet summer child

Price's neckguard does not cover his throat.  It's a Vaughn model that is not rated for cut resistance.  It's there to cover his collarbone because the CCM model these guys wear rides really low.  The majority of guys who wear neck protection are wearing something like this.

image.png.f7860a4f562f1c48a29627d8b939566a.png

Fleury's a bit of an odd bird, his neck guard was BNQ rated at one point, but it's not gonna do anything for him the way he wears it today.  The catalog I pulled this out of was from 2004, so who knows how ratty and beat up it is

image.png.c38b8d27157dd133d68c527cacdae2a0.png

image.png.f8c2eb385ea8f4ef5554a4e67dc7e14a.png

image.png.b76724b72fd8f69801e48f7bda0f9753.png

• Like 2