The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

49 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Guess you and I are going to differ on that opinion. Thigh boards were terrible, I hated using them.

I did really like my thigh wraps on my V4, took a few errant pucks to the gap they have that fucking stung like crazy though.

Knee pads are functionally much better than either one and I have no issues being in them, but man, you definitely free more free in a thigh wrap. 

I wasn't talking about the feel, I was talking about the protection (I use kneepads under socks). But boards were more protective than anything else, no matter if it felt right or not, that was my point.

3 minutes ago, chakal said:

I wasn't talking about the feel, I was talking about the protection (I use kneepads under socks). But boards were more protective than anything else, no matter if it felt right or not, that was my point.

Ah, I definitely read your comment wrong then. 

I can't speak too much on the protection as I ditched thigh boards almost immediately, so I'll take your word for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chakal said:

58 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Ah, I definitely read your comment wrong then. 

I can't speak too much on the protection as I ditched thigh boards almost immediately, so I'll take your word for it. 

The Koho/Lefevre style thighboards were the best.  They were thin enough that they never jammed into each other.  They also had some weight to them, and with some practice you could get them to snap down in front of your thighs to close off any gap between the knees.

2 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

The Koho/Lefevre style thighboards were the best.  They were thin enough that they never jammed into each other.  They also had some weight to them, and with some practice you could get them to snap down in front of your thighs to close off any gap between the knees.

The one's I had were on my old RBK 6k leg pads. I found them incredibly cumbersome none the less. 

I had a massive set on a pair of DS pads. They were a great idea but gear evolved away from them. They used to get caught up in my pants at times. DS always took what was good and made it better. I had a Matrix CA that was Garth Snow like.

2 hours ago, keeperton said:

I absolutely hated my thigh boards on my Velocity 1s back in the day. I had multiple pucks sneak through, they'd get stuck in my pants or something. I'll accept user error somewhere in there, but I would never want to use them again.

100% same story for me. 

I remember them being really clunky and awkward.  Great idea on paper but practically kind of a mess. 

12 hours ago, seagoal said:

100% same story for me. 

I remember them being really clunky and awkward.  Great idea on paper but practically kind of a mess. 

I can't help but agree. It was difficult trying to figure out the fit between my pants and the thigh boards on my old Brian's Demons. 

11 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I can't help but agree. It was difficult trying to figure out the fit between my pants and the thigh boards on my old Brian's Demons. 

A guy I occasionally play with is still wearing original Demons. Another gal in the same league is in V2s.

I am both astounded by the longevity of the pads and that they are both still wearing those.

Edited by keeperton

On 3/16/2022 at 9:12 PM, RedX said:

I’m trying hard not to be the semantics police, but they’re not “thigh boards” but lace in “thigh guards/knee pads.” The thigh board that hangs out your pants is illegal as per NHL rules. 

That said increasingly rare but not extinct yet. Typically associated when Vaughn guys. Greiss, Petersen, Gibson all from this season. And I recall Carter Hutton for the Lefevre style ones over his knee pads as an added layer, but I can’t find any photos. 

116B73E1-4C68-42F9-B261-20FB31B609ED.jpeg

31507022-1EAD-4B7A-A603-C511D79A55C6.jpeg

441BB10F-C0D4-4342-8B7A-E7769BC37D05.jpeg

I had these on my Sher-Wood’s. Thigh wraps I knew them as, practical, but as you can see on Gibson, they have a slight gap where the Velcro is. If you didn’t wear knee pads like myself, and a puck squeaked in? That little gap would do F all and I’d always have bruised knees if one got through!

9 minutes ago, The Teal Terror said:

I had these on my Sher-Wood’s. Thigh wraps I knew them as, practical, but as you can see on Gibson, they have a slight gap where the Velcro is. If you didn’t wear knee pads like myself, and a puck squeaked in? That little gap would do F all and I’d always have bruised knees if one got through!

I know the feeling. Had a few pucks hit that spot and it was debilitating.

Vaughn tried to address that on the V7 XR line with a few additions to the wraps. No idea how effective they were. 

Untitled.png.a18866895598438551c933f7380baf58.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I know the feeling. Had a few pucks hit that spot and it was debilitating.

Vaughn tried to address that on the V7 XR line with a few additions to the wraps. No idea how effective they were. 

Untitled.png.a18866895598438551c933f7380baf58.png

Yes, exactly that. I’d imagine that XR wrap would be much more protective, even if by a little, in comparison to that XF at least!

Looks like to me - through a blurry zoomed in picture - that MAF had a black mask ready to go with all the teams' logos on it around the edges. Then he could just put the team he is with on the forehead with a decal.

I don't know why these goalies who are on the trade bubble all don't have a generic mask ready to go at all times. 

EDIT - are they flowers on the mask? Maybe he had a generic one ready to go. Good on him.

Edited by MTH

On 3/28/2022 at 11:27 AM, MTH said:

Looks like to me - through a blurry zoomed in picture - that MAF had a black mask ready to go with all the teams' logos on it around the edges. Then he could just put the team he is with on the forehead with a decal.

I don't know why these goalies who are on the trade bubble all don't have a generic mask ready to go at all times. 

EDIT - are they flowers on the mask? Maybe he had a generic one ready to go. Good on him.

Looks like his blackhawks mask but I wonder if he painted over the feathers and then put the wild logo on. Hopefully the beautiful mask is intact under it.

the flowers were on the mask he had a tribal artist do