The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I went on Getty images to see if I was right in noticing Quick with a silver paddle last night. I was wrong. However, my guy is still wearing thigh boards๐Ÿคฆ and has quick slide on his v4s. Plus, @seagoalย @Chenner29ย call me crazy, but are those KNOTS I see on Quickies toe ties? Why yes they are, and they are there to correct the rotational issues experienced by those of us who absolutely crank the straps on our leg channels to make it as tight as possible! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

8B92DB9E-5B8F-4759-A122-B30E368AAD58.jpeg
p.S all jokes love you guys!

Are those really thigh boards/wraps? It looks like it could be his socks over his knee pads.ย  Interesting.

This guy is better than Quick and he uses 37 leather straps per pad. You gonna order those too?? ๐Ÿ˜Š

GettyImages-1355022393-1024x721.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Are those really thigh boards/wraps? It looks like it could be his socks over his knee pads.ย  Interesting.

This guy is better than Quick and he uses 37 leather straps per pad. You gonna order those too?? ๐Ÿ˜Š

GettyImages-1355022393-1024x721.jpg

Yes they are thigh boards when you zoom in you can see the attach to his pads. And you know what, maybe I will seagol, maybe I frickin will and Iโ€™ll win three cups with them too!

24 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Yes they are thigh boards when you zoom in you can see the attach to his pads. And you know what, maybe I will seagol, maybe I frickin will and Iโ€™ll win three cups with them too!

Ah, yes.ย  Good eye.ย  ย He is certainly in a world of his own with his gear, in so many ways.ย 

By the way, my teammate is visiting family in LA and went to the game last night.ย  He went down for warm-ups and got some video and pics for me. He knows I'm a big fan of Quick

IMG_7024.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I went on Getty images to see if I was right in noticing Quick with a silver paddle last night. I was wrong. However, my guy is still wearing thigh boards๐Ÿคฆ and has quick slide on his v4s. Plus, @seagoalย @Chenner29ย call me crazy, but are those KNOTS I see on Quickies toe ties? Why yes they are, and they are there to correct the rotational issues experienced by those of us who absolutely crank the straps on our leg channels to make it as tight as possible! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

8B92DB9E-5B8F-4759-A122-B30E368AAD58.jpeg

Iโ€™m trying hard not to be the semantics police, but theyโ€™re not โ€œthigh boardsโ€ but lace in โ€œthigh guards/knee pads.โ€ The thigh board that hangs out your pants is illegal as per NHL rules.ย 
ย 

That said increasingly rare but not extinct yet. Typically associated when Vaughn guys. Greiss, Petersen, Gibson all from this season. And I recall Carter Hutton for the Lefevre style ones over his knee pads as an added layer, but I canโ€™t find any photos.ย 

116B73E1-4C68-42F9-B261-20FB31B609ED.jpeg

31507022-1EAD-4B7A-A603-C511D79A55C6.jpeg

441BB10F-C0D4-4342-8B7A-E7769BC37D05.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RedX said:

Iโ€™m trying hard not to be the semantics police, but theyโ€™re not โ€œthigh boardsโ€ but lace in โ€œthigh guards/knee pads.โ€ The thigh board that hangs out your pants is illegal as per NHL rules.ย 
ย 

That said increasingly rare but not extinct yet. Typically associated when Vaughn guys. Greiss, Petersen, Gibson all from this season. And I recall Carter Hutton for the Lefevre style ones over his knee pads as an added layer, but I canโ€™t find any photos.ย 

116B73E1-4C68-42F9-B261-20FB31B609ED.jpeg

31507022-1EAD-4B7A-A603-C511D79A55C6.jpeg

441BB10F-C0D4-4342-8B7A-E7769BC37D05.jpeg

Vaughn calls them "thigh wraps" if they lace into pads and, well, wrap around the thighs.ย ย 

ย 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 7:10 AM, XCVII said:

Not exactly a gear siGHting per se however something my sharp eye caught just a few days ago, not sure if anyone else noticed. Looks as though CCM has changed their logo, as per their website. Doesn't look as though it's on any of their current gear. It's not a very significant change from the previous one but this could signify big saving on gear coming as stores try to push out older branded gear.

I believe the logo change has been in effect on their website for a while. The new logo will be present on the upcoming 2022 gear. If you look at pics of the Axis 2, for example, you'll see it there.

38 minutes ago, RedX said:

ย 

That said increasingly rare but not extinct yet. Typically associated when Vaughn guys. Greiss, Petersen, Gibson all from this season. And I recall Carter Hutton for the Lefevre style ones over his knee pads as an added layer, but I canโ€™t find any photos.

Thank you, my eye twitched when people started calling the integrated thigh pad "thigh board"

These are thigh boards.

image.thumb.png.c462b52bafb8dbc22fb9cb48687c9172.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I'm really curious, what part of my response to you in the other thread do you not understand?

I never said slack is bad, I even told you I use 2.5" off the toe bridge myself

8 knots seems like overkill to me - if I assume you did your knots like mine, and each of my knots is 1/2"... 8 knots would be 4" of slack.ย  That's a lot IMO and to me it's a clear reason why you can't get your pads to rotate back

FWIW I have 2.5" of slack in my toe laces from the base of the toe bridge to the last knot that runs against the skate
One set of double knots is about 1/2" from the bridge, and the next set of double knots is an inch from the first set.

The skate lace holes are also inset on my toe bridge

8 knots seems like a lot.ย  If you're wearing your pads "as tight as possible" there may be something restricting them rotating back

Keep in mind when you drop, you're exerting force down with your knees to get your pads to rotate out.ย 
When you get back up, there's nothing really rotating them back except your toe ties and the weight of the pads themselves

ย 

32 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Man I would love one of those sticks for if I ever play with my Knights team again.

If youโ€™d like I can try and ask for a few next season. Their equipment managers have given me a few of his sticks as well as ordered a few in my own team colors. I had to pay of course for the ones in my team colors since they were new

20 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

If youโ€™d like I can try and ask for a few next season. Their equipment managers have given me a few of his sticks as well as ordered a few in my own team colors. I had to pay of course for the ones in my team colors since they were new

They gave you some of his sticks for free?ย  What are his specs?ย  Lol

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I'm really curious, what part of my response to you in the other thread do you not understand?

I never said slack is bad, I even told you I use 2.5" off the toe bridge myself

8 knots seems like overkill to me - if I assume you did your knots like mine, and each of my knots is 1/2"... 8 knots would be 4" of slack.ย  That's a lot IMO and to me it's a clear reason why you can't get your pads to rotate back

ย 

No I understood what you said I was just joking around!

41 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

They gave you some of his sticks for free?ย  What are his specs?ย  Lol

I get any stick that has a chip or minor crack. If he doesnโ€™t want it they just give them away or auction them online to fans. He told me 25in and P31 when I asked though his stick definitely felt a little more whippy so it could have been a V2 underneath not V1. Sadly Iโ€™m no longer in Austin to stock up on sticks.ย 

27 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I get any stick that has a chip or minor crack. If he doesnโ€™t want it they just give them away or auction them online to fans. He told me 25in and P31 when I asked though his stick definitely felt a little more whippy so it could have been a V2 underneath not V1. Sadly Iโ€™m no longer in Austin to stock up on sticks.ย 

Gotcha.ย  Ok no worries.ย  I have too many sticks as it is.ย  Warrior sticks just do not break.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Just got a batch of pro department V1 pro+ sticks from a local guy so if I get one of Scheelโ€™s sticks next season Iโ€™ll pm you

you are making me yearn for a couple more V1 pro + twigs.ย  I'm down to 1 out of 3 good ones that have some life.ย  Not quite ready to pull the $$ trigger on V2 ones.ย  Ugh.ย  Sticks are not fun to buy.ย  So damn expensive.ย 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Thank you, my eye twitched when people started calling the integrated thigh pad "thigh board"

These are thigh boards.

image.thumb.png.c462b52bafb8dbc22fb9cb48687c9172.png

To make sure people see better how it was working. Protectionwise, thigh boards were the best. But the NHL banned them since it was adding extra 5 hole coverage.

image.png.e94758c14c7afb2d2edcda6c8c1a3779.thumb.png.45e7d0c5aa7a0472f5f2685a0d698469.png

Edited by chakal
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, seagoal said:

you are making me yearn for a couple more V1 pro + twigs.ย  I'm down to 1 out of 3 good ones that have some life.ย  Not quite ready to pull the $$ trigger on V2 ones.ย  Ugh.ย  Sticks are not fun to buy.ย  So damn expensive.ย 

I got lucky and someone was selling a batch of 3 for $150 since their 12u decided they preferred Bauer sticks lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chakal said:

To make sure people see better how it was working. Protectionwise, thigh boards were the best. But the NHL banned them since it was adding extra 5 hole coverage.

image.png.e94758c14c7afb2d2edcda6c8c1a3779.thumb.png.45e7d0c5aa7a0472f5f2685a0d698469.png

Guess you and I are going to differ on that opinion. Thigh boards were terrible, I hated using them.

I did really like my thigh wraps on my V4, took a few errant pucks to the gap they have that fucking stung like crazy though.

Knee pads are functionally much better than either one and I have no issues being in them, but man, you definitely free more free in a thigh wrap.ย 

• Like 1