The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

1 minute ago, The Teal Terror said:

I’m not for either team to win their respective series, but it’s actions like that which makes me want them to lose all the more!

Well one team is the Bruins so by default you must despise them. 

The second knocked you out of winning a championship. 

Gotta up those levels of vitriol buds. 

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Well one team is the Bruins so by default you must despise them. 

The second knocked you out of winning a championship. 

Gotta up those levels of vitriol buds. 

Oh believe me, the disdain runs deep! Especially for steak and kidney and rust bucket. Could care less for the canes, but as you so rightly said, it’s the Bruins, default hate! 😂

Edited by The Teal Terror

On 5/4/2022 at 6:55 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

All of the things you guys are saying are true. It just represents to me how foolish management can be, expecting a career average-to-good NHL goalie to be your answer for playoff success. Mike Smith is what he is. He’s not going to suddenly be elite. 
Also, I was watching the Penguins and Rangers game, so I did see the goalie change. I tuned in at the beginning of overtime, so I ended up seeing almost a full game😉. Happy for Domingue. Great performance from all three goalies. One of those games you wish no one had to lose. 

Huge Ranger fan, obviously.  I wanted DeSmith to come back in the game so badly because I so badly didn't want Domingue to be the one to let up the winning goal and obviously I wanted the Rangers to win.  Nothing against DeSmith, what he was doing was awesome too.  But to see Domingue come into the game in that situation and play as well as he did was awesome to see.  As a Ranger fan I wanted to see the Rangers win, but, as a goalie I didn't wanna see Domingue lose.  Weird situation.  Ended up not mattering in the end.

23 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hmm, two aging teams who are having difficulty scoring get frustrated and take runs at goalies? 

That doesn't sound like Boston or Pittsburgh at all.  

Honestly I didn't think that Carter ran Shesterkin.  I definitely didn't try to move out of the way but I think it was just such a bang bang play with Shesterkin running into Fox first and then turning around and boom there was Carter too.  I hate seeing Shesterkin flop like that though.  Stop dude, you look like a soccer player.  He's done that before.

But yes my hatred for Pittsburgh runs deep.  I hate how blatantly obvious it is that they get so many calls their way.  Its like the league isn't even trying to hide it anymore.  I am not saying that as a Ranger fan, I have seen it happen with Pittsburgh against other teams as well.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:49 AM, seagoal said:

@WillyGrips13

A couple more goalie injuries the past 2 days

It's sad that the game is like this now. Pastrnak hits Raanta's head with hand and doesn't even try to hide it. And what did he get, 2min penalty? 

There seems to be a lack of respect to other players at the moment. And this should be the most professional hockey there is.

It's not really lifting the value of the NHL that some of the teams are to play with 3rd goalie in the playoffs. Not to say they aren't good enough but something isn't right in the game.

Pastrnak-Raanta.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ser33 said:

Against the background of all that has been said, I can only add that it is a pity that Kochetkov would not have been allowed to knock all the shit out of Marchand

Pussy would have turtled as soon as it started. It's his famous move when someone goes after Pussy Marchand. Sad he had to use his stick as weapon and he couldn't uses his fists. 

On 5/8/2022 at 12:42 AM, southpawtendy48 said:

According to Bednar it’s not serious. I hope he’s right. I wonder about the legality of cat eyes in the future…

Andy Moog saw the future:

DEyRHggXYAAIkbX.jpg

On 5/9/2022 at 7:16 AM, MTH said:

Andy Moog saw the future:

DEyRHggXYAAIkbX.jpg

I was at Greg Harrison's shop when he got a call from Andy Moog who had decided to play for Team Canada in the IHF World Championship Tournament. Moog's Harrison mask was deemed illegal due to its cat's eye cage.

Greg whipped up a few hand made cages, drove them to nearby Toronto International Airport (YYZ) and had them shipped to Team Canada, already at the tournament. They were a tad out of alignment but the bars were close enough to satisfy the officials of the IIHF. On all of his traditional cages Greg had a jig set up but these ones were all slightly different, each one an original hand made item.

The following season my Harrison mask, complete with its cats eye cage, was deemed illegal in the league where I was playing. I phoned Greg and he provided me with one of his "legal" cages ($30). Within a few months the league rescinded the ban and I immediately reverted to my Harrison cats eye.

The bummer part to this tale - I lost track of the hand made, rare and slightly out of proportion Harrison cage.

I'm wondering if Andy used the shield in the above photo whilst his Harrison cage was in transit.

Another goaltender related hockey story from the past provided by this 72 year old goalie, too ornery to quit playing in the nets.

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 8

With regards to the three incidents posted here. A slight embellishment by Shesterkin in my opinion, a blatant run at Raanta and an unfortunate ‘part of the job’ moment for Keumper.

But, what will be the backlash for said incidents from the teams and the league? Let’s watch!

When Kuemper went down I had immediate flashbacks to when Grubauer got hurt. And then Bernier got hurt. And then the Hamburlgar had to come in. Got a dub, but scary times for us Avs fans. Francouz is better than most people say he is. He plays kinda dusty but he did his job twice.

28 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

When Kuemper went down I had immediate flashbacks to when Grubauer got hurt. And then Bernier got hurt. And then the Hamburlgar had to come in. Got a dub, but scary times for us Avs fans. Francouz is better than most people say he is. He plays kinda dusty but he did his job twice.

Luckily Colorado has a lot of time on their hands to let Kuemper's eye swelling to dissipate. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RichMan said:

Yes, alot of goalie bullying going on. Maybe reinstating some enforcers would calm things down. As for the cage, maybe the cheater cage will replace the cat-eye as the default.

Just make instigation a 2 minute penalty. All of this goes away. Until that happens - crash the net all day long. Low hits on the stars.. it's what the NHL wants I guess

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

I spotted some sort of tape or brace on Smith's blocker thumb.

I wonder if this was for some sort of minor thumb injury or just to make his blocker more snug. 

Screenshot_20220515-101303_YouTube.jpg

Vasy had the same thing last night.